Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 05:21 PM

7 posts, read 75,647 times

Advertisements

We can not afford to buy a house right now, plus we will be relocating form Ireland and want to rent for a few years until we are settled. Can anyone tell me if you can rent a nice family house in TR or Brick? We would like a three bed or more with a fenced yard. We have three children and our oldest will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. I have herd such wonderful things about these areas. Am I dreaming or can you rent in a nice established family neighborhood?

Side question: How is the commute to Staten Island?

Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 07:04 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,638,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCgirl(inDublin) View Post
We can not afford to buy a house right now, plus we will be relocating form Ireland and want to rent for a few years until we are settled. Can anyone tell me if you can rent a nice family house in TR or Brick? We would like a three bed or more with a fenced yard. We have three children and our oldest will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. I have herd such wonderful things about these areas. Am I dreaming or can you rent in a nice established family neighborhood?

Side question: How is the commute to Staten Island?

Thank You.
Both towns are large in size and are rated very high in safety. Schools are good, the commute depending on what time of day, bus or car. Its probably about 45-50 miles. If you have to be at work at 7AM and leave at 535AM you should be fine. It also dependes on what bridge u take into Staten Island. I told someone the other day that Brick has 132 properties and toms river has 241 properties listed for under 300K but u say u want to rent. Additional info might help in pinning down the time frame of the commute and what part in SI. Welcome to Jersey.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:38 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,901,294 times
I live in Toms River - in a section that is 15 minutes from the Parkway (the road you will take north to Staten Island). I commute to an area 5 blocks from the Goethals Bridge which is one of 2 ways to get onto the Island. On a good morning, travelling at a moderate speed I get to work in 1:15. So if you are closer to a Parkway entrance then your commute will be about an hour. Like Jersey Man said it will depend on what time you plan on commuting. If you don't need to be to work until 8:00 you will still need to leave by 6:00/6:15 because traffic starts building.

There are homes to rent in both towns. Just realize that your commute can be an expensive one with the gas and wear and tear on the car, Parkway/Turnpike and Bridge tolls. The advantage of this area is that you are close to beaches. Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 9,710 times
we are moving too to toms river or any areas around.... can u advice me where u end up renting ??? coz we have one son 2 years old and would love a 3 bedroom apt in a good neighborhood. thanks a lot for your help

Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,374,303 times
I do not recommend moving to Toms River or Brick if you work in Staten island..It will about 2hour each way commute. You can do alot better by finding a place closer to Staten island. Staten island has no trains/subways. You need a car to get there..I lived in SI for some time, and without a car - you are stuck. Good luck.Try even Staten Island itself..since you are renting only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey