Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:53 PM

11 posts, read 32,924 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am moving to New Jersey and have narrowed my search to Chatham, Summit, Short Hills and Madison. The two most important factors are the public school system, and a true friendly community with "real" people who value kids and neighbors.
Am I looking in the right towns or am I making a mistake with these towns?
Thanks for any suggestions and opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 04:56 PM

2,179 posts, read 6,718,142 times
Ever see The Real Housewives of New Jersey?

IMO those are some very snobby towns with Short Hills and Madison leading the pack. The schools are very good, and the absurd property taxes reflect that.

Old 01-09-2009, 05:38 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
Oh, I'd group Chatham and Madison together as more similar and the most consistently down to earth of the bunch.

Summit it a little more urban. Very Wall Street.

Short Hills is uber snobbish. Really high on themselves.

Check out Millburn and South Orange/Maplewood, too. Maplewood is a wonderful little gem of a town.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Thanks. I always wondered where they filmed the Real Housewives of Jersey. I thought that show was filmed in Tenafly, Wyckoff, North Caldwell, Livingston, Montclair or Lakewood.
After reviewing much of the North Jersey area and wanting to be within 30 miles of city and wanting to put my kids in a great public school system I have read about and researched these towns. I actually like Chatham the best. Why I am not sure, but I like the way it looks and sounds.
Do you have any other suggestions?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:01 PM

Isn't Millburn the same as Short Hills? I did hear Short Hills is quite Japy or shall I say, affected.
I really want to stay away from Bergen County. Not interested in the Montclair area. And would prefer not to venture much further south. Considered Westfield, but I think Chatham has a upper hand school system wise. Any further west would be too far from the city...I think. I like the fact that Summit, Chatham, Madison have a Midtown direct train line. But in the end I am not completely certain...

Old 01-14-2009, 12:01 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl2219 View Post
I really want to stay away from Bergen County. Not interested in the Montclair area.
Why? If I may ask.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,527,415 times
You know, comparing the schools systems of these towns is splitting hairs. I don't think you can say that Chatham has a better school system than Westfield. It's impossible to prove it.

While Short Hills and Millburn share a gov't and school system and people in Millburn believe they are the same town, I know that lots of people who live in Short Hills think otherwise. Millburn less wealthy than Short Hills. And in general the people who move to Millburn do so for the school system, while many people in Short Hills send their kids to private school.

I tend to think of Chatham and Madison as very similar to each other, while Summit is a little more on it's own. It's very funny--Summit and Short Hills have a snobbery rivalry that Chatham and Madison are completely left out of.

I grew up in the area and had friends and acquaintances throughout the area in high school, so I'm painfully aware of alot of the social strata in the area.

The top of the heap is New Vernon and Green Village, and parts of Mendham, Bernardsville. That trumps even Short Hills. And by New Vernon I don't mean Harding.

Not that I believe in or approve in any of this stuff.... As a matter of fact, when it came time for us to buy a house, we settled in Maplewood which blissfully spins in it's own private orbit.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 PM

Thank you very much for your opinion.
Do you think some of those towns you mentioned may be too far "out".(Mendham, Bedminster etc)
I have to commute to the city often and also my wife really wants to take advantage of the trains and go into the city often. we have several friends in the city that we want to spend time with and just think the train in some of the towns we're looking has better access.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:51 PM

Not completely sure why. I did live in Englewood Cliffs one year and looked into Franklin Lakes and Ridgewood. I see Bergen as too crowed. rt. 4 and rt. 17 gets old. And because you are sooo close to the city there really isn't a real town feeling. Other than Ridgewood.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,981,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl2219 View Post
Not completely sure why. I did live in Englewood Cliffs one year and looked into Franklin Lakes and Ridgewood. I see Bergen as too crowed. rt. 4 and rt. 17 gets old. And because you are sooo close to the city there really isn't a real town feeling. Other than Ridgewood.

You're looking at some great towns and I would recommend Madison.

But if you don't get any "real town feeling" in Bergen county, you might not have seen enough of that area, such as Glen Rock or Westwood.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey