Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM

13 posts, read 38,049 times

Advertisements

I've been told that it gets very crowded (standing room only) during the regular morning and evening commuting hours. Is this accurate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
I take the express train from Princeton Junction to the city (and back) every day. I always get a seat.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 AM

116 posts, read 239,010 times
I take it at 6:30am and there are plenty of seats.

Old 09-12-2012, 08:40 AM

13 posts, read 38,049 times
Thanks for the replies.

Any comments on eastbound trains that arrive in NY after 9 a.m. and depart from NY around 6 p.m.? Also, I assume that the farther east you are in the morning, the less likely you are to get a seat (if there is indeed crowding). Any idea of whether the seats ever fill up before Metuchen?

Old 09-12-2012, 06:34 PM

198 posts, read 276,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetsaregood View Post
Thanks for the replies.

Any comments on eastbound trains that arrive in NY after 9 a.m. and depart from NY around 6 p.m.? Also, I assume that the farther east you are in the morning, the less likely you are to get a seat (if there is indeed crowding). Any idea of whether the seats ever fill up before Metuchen?

The train from Metuchen to NY is Northbound. I took the train from Metro Park into Newark. The train usually fills up because Metro Park is a much larger station with a lot of parking.

Getting a seat in Metuchen in the morning is going to be difficult. If you live between Metuchen and Metro Park, you might be better off going to Metro Park. There are also more trains that stop at Metro Park than Metuchen. The express trains skip some of the smaller stations.

It will cost you more to leave from Metro Park, but at least the extra $ will buy you a seat.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:01 PM

394 posts, read 1,257,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
Getting a seat in Metuchen in the morning is going to be difficult. If you live between Metuchen and Metro Park, you might be better off going to Metro Park.
It will cost you more to leave from Metro Park, but at least the extra $ will buy you a seat.
wrong, Wrong, WRONG! Metuchen comes BEFORE metropark northbound. You will be more likely to get a seat at Metuchen than metropark. Metuchen is slightly more $$ than metropark because it is farther from NYPenn... and, lastly, southbound everyone has an equal opportunity to get a seat from NYPenn traveling south .

-Eric

Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,866,231 times
Metropark is in the same fare zone as Metuchen , so costs don't matter. The Same amount of trains service both stations , although Metropark gets Amtrak which you don't use for everyday commuting... 12,000 people use Metropark a day compared to 4,700 who use Metuchen...

Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,160,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCashman View Post
The train from Metuchen to NY is Northbound. I took the train from Metro Park into Newark. The train usually fills up because Metro Park is a much larger station with a lot of parking.

Getting a seat in Metuchen in the morning is going to be difficult. If you live between Metuchen and Metro Park, you might be better off going to Metro Park. There are also more trains that stop at Metro Park than Metuchen. The express trains skip some of the smaller stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
wrong, Wrong, WRONG! Metuchen comes BEFORE metropark northbound. You will be more likely to get a seat at Metuchen than metropark. Metuchen is slightly more $$ than metropark because it is farther from NYPenn... and, lastly, southbound everyone has an equal opportunity to get a seat from NYPenn traveling south .

-Eric
I'm pretty sure that the Northeast Corridor in NJ is Eastbound and Westbound... not North and South.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:15 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,227,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Northeast Corridor in NJ is Eastbound and Westbound... not North and South.
I'm not sure how the railroad calls it, but the actual line through NJ runs pretty close to NE/SW. At Secaucus the tracks are just labeled as to whether they're to NY or from NY.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 AM

262 posts, read 798,994 times
The NE Corridor is unbelievably unreliable. I would recommend the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey