Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 03:58 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,794,200 times

Advertisements

Yes there is a great local bookstore called Sages Pages. People love it. They just moved into a bigger space in the Staples plaza on Main Street in Madison.

There is also, finally, a new coffee place (local, artsy/intellectual alternative to Starbucks) called Drip (new this year, on Main Street in Madison) and it seems to be doing well.

In general though, I think local stores ARE having trouble compared to the chains...and that is most everywhere. The Madison Downtown Development team is working hard on programs/activities/marketing to keep people shopping locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 11:33 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,532,383 times
Oh that's good. The little store in Maplewood struggles, it might even be closed. But the bookstore in Montclair is fantastic. There are a lot of writers living there. An enclave of NYTimes reporters (in both towns). That's why you see so many common interest stories about those two towns in the Times. But I suppose those days are coming to an end, too, with the demise of newspapers.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:52 PM

11 posts, read 32,946 times
I have been doing my due diligence and have been speaking with people from the area and some suggest I would be remiss if I did not look at Basking Ridge.
My question to any and all takers is does Ridge High School stack up to Chatham High School? Looking in NJ Monthly they compare favorably.
I really think our decision is coming down to those two towns. Any comments/elaborations on whether these towns are good/great or should I be considering other towns?
thanks to all of you that reply. It has been of considerable help with some of your suggestions.

Old 03-05-2009, 07:09 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,621,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtl2219 View Post
I have been doing my due diligence and have been speaking with people from the area and some suggest I would be remiss if I did not look at Basking Ridge.
My question to any and all takers is does Ridge High School stack up to Chatham High School? Looking in NJ Monthly they compare favorably.
I really think our decision is coming down to those two towns. Any comments/elaborations on whether these towns are good/great or should I be considering other towns?
thanks to all of you that reply. It has been of considerable help with some of your suggestions.
You can find some real bargains in Bernardsville at the moment... bedminster as well.....both great towns and great investments (once the recession is over of course)!

Old 03-05-2009, 07:53 AM

103 posts, read 395,327 times
I love this forum! We are confused over these towns also. Considering Chatam, Madison, Summit. Millburn has excellent schools. We definitely want a nice town feel and great schools.

How about Westfield. Heard really great things about it.

We are considering renting before we commit.

SnuffyBear- thank you for your detailed post. I copied pasted it to my email so I dont forget what you said! I will look into New Providence.

I dont want my kids to grow up in a very snobby neighborhood but do want good schools. I definitely agree that you dont need the #1 school because they do fluctuate.

I do agree that Bergen county is overpopulated. Ridgewood is nice. I do like the town of Westwood too. Glenrock seems to have great schools too but dont know much about the town. I rather not go to Bergen County, thinking its snobby too and really crowded but would be the best commute for my husband.

Where is Basking Ridge??

Old 03-05-2009, 08:46 AM

103 posts, read 395,327 times
Ok Basking Ridge is a litte far for my husband to commute but we might still take a drive by.

I was looking into Maplewood but I couldnt find a highschool. Where do the kids go?

Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 PM

Columbia HS. It's shared with South Orange. It's almost 50/50 even split between black and white students. 2000 students. Not top ranked anymore, although in the past it was one of the top HS in the nation, before the great westward suburban migration.

Although it's not a top ranked school, many students go on to top ranked colleges and get a great education. As one astute parent said, "I don't care what the average score is, I care what my kid's score is."

It's def. a town for someone with a liberal mindset, the reluctant suburbanite. If you are attracted to towns like Chatham, Millburn, and Basking Ridge, Maplewood is most definitely not for you.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 6,985 times
Question Best Jewish communities in NJ

What cities/towns in north or central NJ have large Jewish populations? We were considering moving to New Providence/Berkeley Heights but have heard there are no Jewish people there. Any suggestions in and around this area appreciated.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 AM

Maplewood. South Orange. Short Hills. Livingston. Montclair. Holmdel. Teaneck.

There are more towns that that, but those are the ones I know.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2009, 07:48 PM

127 posts, read 544,870 times
There is a big Jewish community in Randolph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey