Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Bamburger's was Macy's east coast brand, wasn't it? Before they just called everything Macy's. I remember Two Guys. How about Rickels (sp)?
macy's was always macy's - my guess is they were both part of federated brands. i remember every store mentioned, plus strawbridges and stern's!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:23 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,593 times
Wow, what a trip down memory lane! I remember Rickel's and good 'ol Strawbridge's. Wasn't Strawbridge's mainly in S.Jersey?

How about Alexander's? My family was there almost every week.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Wow, what a trip down memory lane! I remember Rickel's and good 'ol Strawbridge's. Wasn't Strawbridge's mainly in S.Jersey?

How about Alexander's? My family was there almost every week.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:54 AM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
I had completely forgotten about A&S! Now I'm really going to show my age, Bamburger's (sp?), Orbach's, and Two Guys. Remember any of those?
My uncle refused to give up his Bamberger's Card when they became Macy's - continued to use it until his death! LOL! I remember Orbach's - I used to shop there in HS and Two Guys- I used to run in the clothes and hide from my Mom as a kid. LOL

Old 11-10-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
Bamburger's was Macy's east coast brand, wasn't it? Before they just called everything Macy's. I remember Two Guys. How about Rickels (sp)?
Macy's was always NY - but NJ stores were "Bamberger's"

I hated Rickels LOL

Old 11-10-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
macy's was always macy's - my guess is they were both part of federated brands. i remember every store mentioned, plus strawbridges and stern's!
Stern's was not TOO long ago. Where was Strawbridge's? Don't remember them.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 AM

Leave it to MIke! LOL
Can never forget that painting on Alexander's. I only remember going there a few times as a kid, but I'll never forget that painting. Wonder what became of it.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:08 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,376,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post

Linens N Things is on it's way out (FYI, their going out of business sale is an absolute joke).
I went to one last weekend and they huge signs that say EVERYTHING MUST GO all over the store and then marked everything down 10 - 15%. BUT the biggest issue is I can see where at one time the item was on clearance and they just marked over it.

I saw a bedset I like it was $59.99 - 20% off. Then I peeled back the sticker and saw that at one point it was $34.99 - so I won't be buying anything from there in the near future. I plan on stopping by periodically to see if they'll actually go down - I've been told that they'll be open for at least another 3 months.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Circuit City couldn't wait for the Holiday's, it had to announce bankruptcy today.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,717,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
I went to one last weekend and they huge signs that say EVERYTHING MUST GO all over the store and then marked everything down 10 - 15%. BUT the biggest issue is I can see where at one time the item was on clearance and they just marked over it.

I saw a bedset I like it was $59.99 - 20% off. Then I peeled back the sticker and saw that at one point it was $34.99 - so I won't be buying anything from there in the near future. I plan on stopping by periodically to see if they'll actually go down - I've been told that they'll be open for at least another 3 months.
LOL I did the same exact thing that you did on Saturday night. I am in need of a new juicer and decided to drag myself and my GF over to the one in Jersey City to see what deals were to be had.

There was a nice Waring juicer and it appeared to be the last one, so I snagged the box. Now, before I buy, I open the box to make sure all the contents were present and accounted for. Makes sense since there are no more returns to LNT.

As I am opening the box, this guy literally starts sprinting over towards me screaming "YOU CAN'T OPEN THE BOXES! CAN'T YOU READ THE SIGNS ALL OVER THE STORE?!?!". I told him that there was no way I was buying it without making sure all the contents were inside, so I kept going through the package. Sure enough, the stainless steel canister had a huge dent on the side.

So, this juicer retailed for 79.99, and was marked down to 53.99. The original sticker behind the 79.99 price? 59.99. What a joke. Another example is a Chicago Cutlery set they have there. regularly 159.00, on sale for 115.99. Century 21 in Paramus has the same exact knife set for 50 dollars.

What amazed me was that there were people in line buying tons of things as if they were stocking up for nuclear fallout. People can be such sheep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey