Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 04:58 PM

2 posts, read 12,518 times

Advertisements

Hello All!

I am relocating to New Jersey in July and need your help finding a place to live.

I will be working in Newark and and completely unfamiliar with the area - however do know that Newark itself is not a great place to live.

I am just coming out of school, and at 22 would like to live in a city/neighborhood that has a bit of a night scene.....nothing crazy, more along the lines of many restaurant options. I would also like to keep my commute to a minimum - less than 45 minutes if possible.

As for prices, I will be renting in the beginning...more than likely sharing an apartment as I would like to live with someone who can show me around the city a bit. I am willing to pay up to 1200/month in rent for a nicer area. Of course if there are nice areas for less that would be a bonus.

I look forward to your suggestions....thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 05:52 PM

1,308 posts, read 4,622,537 times
Move as far as you can from Newark....period!! iTS A NO BRAINER!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 PM

111 posts, read 417,029 times
Hoboken and Jersey City are your best bets. Both are a 15 to 20 minute PATH ride to Newark. You can find an apt in your 1200 price range if you room with someone. Both have good nightlife scenes, hoboken has a better scene especially for someone who's 22, but both are solid.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,813,913 times
You could also try Montclair. good luck!

Old 05-06-2008, 06:25 PM

389 posts, read 1,987,232 times
im not from newark but.. what is wrong with newark that you want to move as far away from it as possible?? oooohhh jersey... i thought, ohio. sorry wrong state.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,518 times
Thank you all for replying so quickly!

I have been looking mostly in Hoboken, but have also started to search in Jersey City. I was a little hesitant at first, because from what I have heard it is a little rough. However, I have started to find that it is quite segmented with some nicer areas......is this true?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:46 PM

6 posts, read 21,140 times
Rent a place in Montclair or Hoboken. Hoboken is probably younger, although it's been a long time since I lived there. Some parts of Jersey City are nice too.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:54 PM

323 posts, read 2,090,394 times
Hoboken for sure...great scene!

Old 05-06-2008, 08:50 PM

110 posts, read 549,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliRaye View Post
Hello All!

I am relocating to New Jersey in July and need your help finding a place to live.

I will be working in Newark and and completely unfamiliar with the area - however do know that Newark itself is not a great place to live.

I am just coming out of school, and at 22 would like to live in a city/neighborhood that has a bit of a night scene.....nothing crazy, more along the lines of many restaurant options. I would also like to keep my commute to a minimum - less than 45 minutes if possible.

As for prices, I will be renting in the beginning...more than likely sharing an apartment as I would like to live with someone who can show me around the city a bit. I am willing to pay up to 1200/month in rent for a nicer area. Of course if there are nice areas for less that would be a bonus.

I went to grad school in Newark. I lived in Belleville. That town is OK, but there are better. Nutley is nice, Bloomfield is OK. All 3 of these towns are the "Pizza Belt", called that because of the high Italian-American population.

Montclair is more hip, but you pay more too. Harrison is not a bad town, very close to Newark, and safe. I used to date someone in Harrison, always felt safe there, plus it has the PATH train, and there is lots of new development along the river, and the NY-NJ Redbulls soccer stadium going up.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 PM

110 posts, read 549,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliRaye View Post
Hello All!

More to my above message: Place to avoid at all costs: Newark, except for the Ironbound; East Orange, Orange, and Irvington. Most of Hillside. Even the safe parts of Hillside are boring, so why bother? Elizabeth is iffy. There are safe parts, but it's really an immigrant community. Nothing wrong with that, but as a young person I bet you're looking for more nightlife and connection to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey