Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 AM

605 posts, read 2,156,250 times

Advertisements

I've never had a job with security. Always at will on both parts. I have a Masters Degree and always give my 100%+ with whatever job I've had. Let's say, I make my own job security. I'm so sick of the mentality that workers should have job security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 06:40 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,120,432 times
Precisely. A job is not a right or an entitlement. It is simply a human relationship. And it is always temporary and dependent upon the economic conditions that affect each party. The government needs to get out of this relationship. It needs to be free for both parties. Either should be able to terminate it for any or no reason. We have oversocialized this relationship to the detriment of our economy and our society.

The school bus drivers who are striking should be fired and replaced.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:50 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,111,221 times
Well thanks to the de-unionization of America with millions of dollars of corporate lobbying, job security is a thing of the past like growth in wages and good benefits. As usual, Marc supports our race to the bottom.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 AM

188 posts, read 192,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Well thanks to the de-unionization of America with millions of dollars of corporate lobbying, job security is a thing of the past like growth in wages and good benefits. As usual, Marc supports our race to the bottom.
It's the Ayn Randing of America. People falling for a myth created by a person who wound up surviving on Social Security and Medicare.

People need a few basic necessities for life: Food, clothing, housing are basic minimum. When employers know they control the key to those basic necessities, your job, your income, our society becomes what it was before the labor movement took hold: A society of sweat shops where workers are hired and fired at will not based on performance but on the whims of the masters.

We've been on our way backwards to that era for years now. You'd think that someone with a "master's degree" would be able to discern the consequences of an at will labor market.

I suggest to all the Ayn Rand disciples I meet (or those who unwittingly support her sociopath beliefs) that they read a little Jack London instead.

Online Reader - Project Gutenberg

Old 01-16-2013, 07:15 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,476,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
What do you expect from one of the "highly schooled" RE salesman.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:18 AM

861 posts, read 2,727,909 times
And all this time I thought they were doing their jobs "for the children"......

Old 01-16-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
It's the Ayn Randing of America. People falling for a myth created by a person who wound up surviving on Social Security and Medicare.

People need a few basic necessities for life: Food, clothing, housing are basic minimum. When employers know they control the key to those basic necessities, your job, your income, our society becomes what it was before the labor movement took hold: A society of sweat shops where workers are hired and fired at will not based on performance but on the whims of the masters.

We've been on our way backwards to that era for years now. You'd think that someone with a "master's degree" would be able to discern the consequences of an at will labor market.

I suggest to all the Ayn Rand disciples I meet (or those who unwittingly support her sociopath beliefs) that they read a little Jack London instead.

Online Reader - Project Gutenberg
Marc seems to think it's only winners & losers in America. The vast majority of people are going to be "average" and are not going to do brain surgery or sell overpriced houses to people with questionable credit (sorry, that was the 2000s. Things have changed). I'm no genealogist but it'd be interesting to know what the Paolellas did when they arrived here on the Mayflower. "Great log cabins for sale. Nice neighborhood, good schools, friendly Indians. No wampum down."

Old 01-16-2013, 08:17 AM

730 posts, read 2,896,793 times
So under his theory if my boss is having a bad day he can just fire everyone and that's OK.

Yeah....that makes perfect sense.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnePatrice View Post
So under his theory if my boss is having a bad day he can just fire everyone and that's OK.

Yeah....that makes perfect sense.
Yes, you're employed "at will" of the master. Most people don't realize it until the first time they're canned. The really dooshy ones will fight you for your unemployment too. Mostly small businesses since many are run by nasty little people.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,881,214 times
This is the basic reason why public sector unions were illegal until the 1950's. When they go on strike they hold the public safety hostage, in this case 150,000+ children in NYC who rely on those busses to get to school.

Even more ironic (or is it moronic?) is that the union is striking over a provision they want included in the cities RFP for bus service that was ruled illegal by the New York State Court of Appeals. Basically, the union is striking trying to force the city to include an illegal provision in their RFP.

NYC owns their own bus fleet. They then contract out the operation of those busses through periodic RFP's to private companies. The companies basically bid on the operations cost which includes; drivers, fuel, insurance and training. The reason the city does this is so that they can control the cost of operating the bus fleets more effectively. A company that submits a RFP has limited ability outside of wages and getting "creative" with their fueling to actually be competitive and control costs.

Well, what happens when company A loses the RFP bid to company B? The drivers for company A are now out of a job and company B begins hiring drivers per the wage guidelines that were part of their RFP. In general, this does not "bust" the union as they are strong enough to ensure that company B needs to deal with them. What the union attempted to do was force the city to include a provision in the RFP that all existing drivers must be rehired by the new operating company and at their existing wage. This would remove any ability for a company to actually compete in the RFP as other costs are much harder to control.

The city included the provision in the last RFP for pre-K bus service. The operating companies sued the city stating that such a provision was illegal. The case went to the State Appels Court which decided that the companies were right. The city via RFP could not force the bidding companies to hire the existing drivers, nor force them to pay a certain predetermined wage to those drivers. As the provision is illegal, the city did not include it in this latest RFP and now the union is striking.

The entire reason that the city went to the RFP process and stopped operating the fleets themselves were do to skyrocketing costs. Per student bus transportation costs in NYC are nearly $6,100 per student. The closest to NYC example out there is Los Angeles, which only has costs of $3,000 per student, has non-union drivers/aides and has always performed competitive bidding for the operation of the fleet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey