Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 AM

595 posts, read 678,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
It actually sucks even from parts of Manhattan -- specifically the UES/Yorkville to a lot of places..
Truth. I used to live at 77th and First. The walk to Lex and praying you could sardine yourself into the 6 train was a miserable commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 01:36 PM

289 posts, read 609,008 times
Someone in my family who lives in midwest once made an interesting observation about NJ folks- When asked where they live, many usually answer GSP Exit XYZ or Turnpike Exit XYZ. That speaks a lot about our commuter community.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,238,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4NJseasons View Post
Someone in my family who lives in midwest once made an interesting observation about NJ folks- When asked where they live, many usually answer GSP Exit XYZ or Turnpike Exit XYZ. That speaks a lot about our commuter community.
Stereotype is no longer true if it ever was. They changed the exit numbers too often, you see...

Old 10-30-2013, 08:31 AM

595 posts, read 678,220 times
Almost 15 years ago, I was travelling in Alaska. I was having a conversation with a bartender, told him I was from NJ. He said, "Oh, I'm supposed to ask you what exit right?" I told him that was an stereotype, tried to defend a little bit of NJ's natural beauty. Then I paused and just admitted..."Exit 9".

Old 02-21-2014, 02:05 AM

1,450 posts, read 3,458,259 times
Another thing we need to add to the sticky...In general, the closer you are to the city, the harder it will be to find parking, and the more likely you will have to pay (some might say through the nose) for parking, or be prepared to circle around for a half hour plus looking for a spot on the street. (and hope no one comes to close to the car and takes out your mirror.)

KoalaNJ

Old 03-17-2014, 10:51 AM

111 posts, read 171,812 times
Man, what a depressing thread.

I "reverse" commute from Weehawken out to Morris County and even I couldn't bear the rush hours anymore. My work hours are somewhat flexible, so I recently switched to 630AM starts (on the road by 545AM) to keep my sanity. You folks that do these 90 minute commutes from Monmouth County (et. al) blow my mind.

I will never, for the life of me, understand why a family would move here. If you're setup somewhere else in the country with a big old house, low taxes, and an easy commute, why the hell would you uproot to make a sorry attempt at recreating that here? Is it the weather? The boundless natural beauty? I don't get it.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,238,405 times
For me: work. I used to be in the Philadelphia suburbs. 2008 hit and tech jobs in Philly dried up and haven't really come back. I had found a job after being laid off as a result of the crash, but the company was clearly headed for the skids, so when I got an offer to work for a large tech company in NYC, it was a pretty good choice. Plus my wife's an artist and the Philly art scene isn't so hot.

The house is a little smaller (but a single-family detached rather than a townhouse), it cost three times as much and the taxes are six times as much. And the commute is lousy. But it beats being unemployed elsewhere, or trying to live in an apartment in the city.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:26 AM

324 posts, read 576,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostjay View Post

I "reverse" commute from Weehawken out to Morris County and even I couldn't bear the rush hours anymore. My work hours are somewhat flexible, so I recently switched to 630AM starts (on the road by 545AM) to keep my sanity. You folks that do these 90 minute commutes from Monmouth County (et. al) blow my mind.

I will never, for the life of me, understand why a family would move here. If you're setup somewhere else in the country with a big old house, low taxes, and an easy commute, why the hell would you uproot to make a sorry attempt at recreating that here? Is it the weather? The boundless natural beauty? I don't get it.

Why do you live here? I'm assuming there's a reason you live in Weehawken, but if it's too long of a commute for you, can you move somewhere closer to your job? My wife and I work pretty far from each other, but we're moving to somewhere in between (in Morris County, actually). The commute won't be bad for either of us, and I think it's a great place for a family.

I can think of a lot of reasons why people live here - some good, some bad. The reason a family uproots to move here is usually because of money. Other reasons are schools and the location.

Many people just like to complain about how bad their situation, even to the point of exaggerating how long their commute is. It makes them feel good for some reason. If they truly are miserable, it's pretty sad that they waste their time on here complaining instead of trying to do something about their problems.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:58 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Quote:

Maybe we have our reasons. I'm a person with a 90-minute train commute from Monmouth County, and that's no exaggeration, by the way. Often it's longer. It can be shorter if I drive and leave the house before 6:15--then it can be a little over an hour, but it will cost more with tolls and parking.

I knew I would be taking on a longer commute when I moved from Bergen to Monmouth County. There's a tradeoff for everything, and mine was that in Bergen County, I could only ever be a renter, while in Monmouth County, I was able to purchase a condo, the first time in my life (at the age of 52 at the time) that I was able to buy rather than rent. I no longer needed to worry about the combination of good schools and family nearby because my daughter had graduated from high school.

And if I was going to have to move away from the area where I'd lived all my life, I was going to go to where the ocean was easily accessible.

The commute's a drag. I beetch about it all the time. But, I am older and I know I won't have to do this for too many more years. I can't afford to just quit working and retire, although I could retire with a pension on fifteen days notice. I just am not yet in a financial position to live on the pension alone without resorting to eating rat on a stick, and there aren't a ton of job openings in Central Jersey for a 55-year-old person without a college degree, so here I am. But--I will continue to look, and one of these days, the commute will be history!

The point, however, is that your situation and POV is not the same as everyone else's.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:39 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,407,386 times
Quote:

Pretty simple,
People move to NJ because they can make a lot of these $$$$$$$$
People move out of NJ because they don't make enough of these $$$$$$$

Why would there be any other reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey