Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:13 PM

8 posts, read 14,854 times

Advertisements

My SO (significant other) has a renter that has kitchen privileges and rents an ensuite basement. Since he leaves very early in the morning for work, as a nice gesture said he didn't mind if the person put the TV on the morning while making breakfast and/or sat in the TV room. Ok, no big deal.
The problem is that while they have their own private apartment downstairs, where no one bothers them, or walks in. He has (willingly) lost some of his privacy by the fact the tenant can be on the main floor of the home. Again, understood, not an issue.
The tenant is basically a stranger, seems to be nice. However, they have an never-ending conversation with you. How are you? turns into story after story & the play by play of their week.
Which impedes on our time during the weekend, our lives are pretty busy during the week, we rarely see each other during the week, so the weekends is our time to connect with one another. We like to go out but if we stay in and do things, it's nerve-racking when the tenant comes up & starts chewing our ear off. (very long-winded, one sided conversation - one of our friends doesn't enjoy coming to the house anymore because he doesn't want to run into them, after being caught in a dead locked, one hour conversation where he couldn't get a word in!).
Well, as a woman, I would understand that if I rented a place, and saw the landlord's girlfriend only on weekends, I would figure that my LL & girlfriend might want some alone time, so a "hi" - talk a few minutes.."bye" type of conversation would suffice. It's polite and not intruding.
Why doesn't she get it? I know this is long-winded. But I'd like another person's viewpoint. I appreciate any feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:37 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaBean1 View Post
My SO (significant other) has a renter that has kitchen privileges and rents an ensuite basement. Since he leaves very early in the morning for work, as a nice gesture said he didn't mind if the person put the TV on the morning while making breakfast and/or sat in the TV room. Ok, no big deal.
The problem is that while they have their own private apartment downstairs, where no one bothers them, or walks in. He has (willingly) lost some of his privacy by the fact the tenant can be on the main floor of the home. Again, understood, not an issue.
The tenant is basically a stranger, seems to be nice. However, they have an never-ending conversation with you. How are you? turns into story after story & the play by play of their week.
Which impedes on our time during the weekend, our lives are pretty busy during the week, we rarely see each other during the week, so the weekends is our time to connect with one another. We like to go out but if we stay in and do things, it's nerve-racking when the tenant comes up & starts chewing our ear off. (very long-winded, one sided conversation - one of our friends doesn't enjoy coming to the house anymore because he doesn't want to run into them, after being caught in a dead locked, one hour conversation where he couldn't get a word in!).
Well, as a woman, I would understand that if I rented a place, and saw the landlord's girlfriend only on weekends, I would figure that my LL & girlfriend might want some alone time, so a "hi" - talk a few minutes.."bye" type of conversation would suffice. It's polite and not intruding.
Why doesn't she get it? I know this is long-winded. But I'd like another person's viewpoint. I appreciate any feedback.
I would just politely cut them off when u had to go. or go into another room so they get the message

U said "why doesn't she get it?" in your last sentence.. who are u refering to as "she"?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:43 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
its a female roommate!?!?!?!?!?

Old 05-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
its a female roommate!?!?!?!?!?
Yes, it is a "she".

Old 05-11-2009, 05:46 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaBean1 View Post
Yes, it is a "she".
oh boy. I wouldnt allow my girlfriend to have a male roommate unless he was a gay guy

Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Reading it I was assuming she was some mid-aged guy. U know the weather is nice now, maybe u guys should take a walk or something. I would personally rather have a talkative roommate then a quiet one, but if this lady doesn't listen to people I wouldn't hesitate to blow her off.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:52 PM

744 posts, read 1,406,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Reading it I was assuming she was some mid-aged guy. U know the weather is nice now, maybe u guys should take a walk or something. I would personally rather have a talkative roommate then a quiet one, but if this lady doesn't listen to people I wouldn't hesitate to blow her off.
That' right the serial killer ones are always quiet

Old 05-11-2009, 05:55 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,755,993 times
LimaBean, since your SO isn't bothered by this during the week, maybe he can tell the renter that weekends are a different story. He can tell her that you need privacy on the weekends and to "please respect that." Unless the woman is crazy, I'm sure she'll get the hint.
People like that really need clear boundaries. On another note, doesn't she have a tv in her apt.? If there's no service down there, maybe it would be worthwhile to get it.

Old 05-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
We do...we definitely get out quite a bit...but Sunday nights we like to wind down at home - he has to get up very early in the morning for work.....i was trying to be more anonymous with the gender, but oh well......
One time I was there on a weekday morning and sitting in the TV room, watching TV with my computer on and she asks to blast the TV so she could hear it. I was like wtf??? I know you watch TV on the weekdays BUT I am his girlfriend, who just happens to be here this morning for a few hours before I leave, and I don't want to BLAST my eardrums out so the TV is loud enough for you!!!!
don't even say meow to me - lol!

Old 05-11-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
LimaBean, since your SO isn't bothered by this during the week, maybe he can tell the renter that weekends are a different story. He can tell her that you need privacy on the weekends and to "please respect that." Unless the woman is crazy, I'm sure she'll get the hint.
People like that really need clear boundaries. On another note, doesn't she have a tv in her apt.? If there's no service down there, maybe it would be worthwhile to get it.

Yes, she has her own TV with premium channels and her own beautiful ensuite....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: