Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2010, 12:41 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times

Advertisements

I've proposed to one of the mods the idea of a sticky "questions for new residents" thread. Such stickies have been floating around other CD forums, and are a very useful way of directing those with relocation questions to provide information that leads to helpful responses.

I was hoping to post this to the forum for review, ideas for edits, improvements, etc first. Here it is:

When are you moving?
Where are you coming from?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working?
If working in NYC, what part of NYC specifically ?
Have you been here yet?

Will you buy or rent?
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo/townhouse? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse, or house rental ? How much can you spend?

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets?
Do you want or need a yard?
Are you keeping a car?
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 01:22 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Huh , i'm confused wth is this....

Old 07-25-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Huh , i'm confused wth is this....
I'm suggesting that it would be a good idea if the NJ forum had a sticky thread, with the heading "questions for new residents", like this one:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...residents.html

That way, when a newcomer considering relocation starts a thread, they write a post like this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...ll-advice.html

This makes it easy to follow up with helpful responses

In contrast, posts like this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...here-live.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-towns-nj.html

and god forbid, this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...rking-nyc.html

tend not to result in constructive discussion.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
I think it's a great idea elford!! It would cut down on a million threads that go no where until OP gives real details on page 4 or 5!

My only thing is that you have waaaaaaay too many questions, I got bored reading half way through, I can't imagine how long someone's initial post would be if they were answering all that.

How about:

1-What is your budget, buy or rent?

2-Where will you be commuting to and what is the LONGEST amount of time you are willing to travel? Do prefer a certain mode (car/bus/train)?

3-Do you need/want good schools?

4-List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: diversity, nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, etc.)

Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I think it's a great idea elford!! It would cut down on a million threads that go no where until OP gives real details on page 4 or 5!

My only thing is that you have waaaaaaay too many questions, I got bored reading half way through, I can't imagine how long someone's initial post would be if they were answering all that.

How about:

1-What is your budget, buy or rent?

2-Where will you be commuting to and what is the LONGEST amount of time you are willing to travel? Do prefer a certain mode (car/bus/train)?

3-Do you need/want good schools?

4-List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: diversity, nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, etc.)
Question 4 is a nice touch, because it allows us to compress it. I have a preference for making the questions too terse (1) because these questions have worked well elsewhere, and (2) because ultimately it is a big time saver if there is no back-and-forth regarding points that should have been on there. I'd like to keep the diversity question in there verbatim, because it really helps cut down on flame wars (see the links to the threads I posted)

How about this ...

When are you moving?
Why are you moving?
Where will you be working ? (if NYC, what part of NYC?)

Will you buy or rent?
What is your budget ?
What kind of place are you looking for ?

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Do you need/want good public schools?

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: diversity, nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, etc)

Old 07-26-2010, 05:24 PM

381 posts, read 1,309,583 times
Seems good to me but the shorter the better - so, I'd delete "when are you moving" - if it's urgent, people will say so. And why ask about who is moving with the OP? If that affects the relo, it should be covered in schools or "3 things" q's, no?

I would delete the parentheses from the "what part of NYC" - posters from other areas often don't realize how much that affects their commute.

On the 3 things -- be sure to add "short commute" - and no need to include diversity because you've already asked about that.

Don't mean to nitpick! It's a useful idea IMO.

Old 07-26-2010, 05:37 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
I believe CD only allows two stickys per board and we have two already. I would rather have your suggestion that the "Please report abusive..." thread, as yours might cut down some redundancy. But if you really want to get this done....(looks over both shoulders)....Leave a little somethin somethin under Bobby Kovacks pillow and lets just say good things will happen.....

Old 07-26-2010, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninasimonejr View Post
Seems good to me but the shorter the better - so, I'd delete "when are you moving"
will do

Quote:
- if it's urgent, people will say so. And why ask about who is moving with the OP? If that affects the relo, it should be covered in schools or "3 things" q's, no?
This also covers pets, and the age of the children. Age of children is important regarding school districts -- if the kids are 2 years, you could do quite well in Bloomfield for the next 10 years or so. It also provides some information about how much living space they will need.

Quote:
I would delete the parentheses from the "what part of NYC" - posters from other areas often don't realize how much that affects their commute.
ok.

Quote:
On the 3 things -- be sure to add "short commute" - and no need to include diversity because you've already asked about that.
ok.

Quote:
Don't mean to nitpick!
Not at all. If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well. Let's try again:

Why are you moving?
Where will you be working ? If NYC, what part of NYC?

Will you buy or rent?
What is your budget ?
What kind of place are you looking for ?

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ?
Do you need/want good public schools?

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.(examples: nightlife, outdoor activities, rural/urban, safety, downtown area, charming, new construction, proximity to XYZ, family oriented, easy parking, short commute, etc)

Old 07-26-2010, 06:12 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,768,500 times
I think it is looking good, but I would get rid of this:

"Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?"

If they are looking to live in a neighborhood with a particular group of people, they tend to say so.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:15 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I think it is looking good, but I would get rid of this:

"Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?"

If they are looking to live in a neighborhood with a particular group of people, they tend to say so.

I kind of have to agree on this point, I know elfords point is to avoid conflict and it might if someone says "I want to live near Indian people" or "I need access to a synogogue" or "I need and asian market" but heaven forbid someone says they want to live around only white people. It's sad but true that this will start an instant flame war. I think if you just leave this point in the condensed "pick three" question people who this matters to will bring it up people who don't care won't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey