Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times

Advertisements

Motion sensor lights and surveillance cameras work . I even have a drive way alert good for 300 feet from harbor freight and it's several years old still working .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 12:01 PM

74 posts, read 136,382 times
A big dog or 2 is what you need. A rottweiler, german sheppard, doberman, pit bull..... all can be super loving loyal family members, but will make someone think twice about B&E if they look in a window or at the door. Jehovah witness don't come knocking on my door.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:05 PM

415 posts, read 764,426 times
I installed an alarm, security cameras and motion flood lights.. after my Suburb city had 33 day time break ins 2 summers ago..

Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonorityGenius View Post
Hi everyone,

What are your thoughts on getting home security systems and their monthly costs? I know that even with the best of the best some unfortunate home will get robbed regardless; but for peace of mind and lack of worry when away from home for weeks, I find it imperative to get a system installed.

I compared ADT and Slomin's as well as lesser known brands like First Home and SimpliSafe, monthly costs ranged from $14-50+ and equipment types and codes I am lost with!

Any thoughts or experience with home security systems, tips and wisdom much appreciated!
If i was away for weeks, i guess I'd consider it. I prefer things like Bewar of Dog signs + Cameras + a Safe to lock up anything worth stealing anyways.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:30 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,625,200 times
Big gun, big dog and good insurance should do the trick.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:43 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,923,666 times
The deterrent at the gate being a live camera and motion sensor lights records the threat or potential threat, so that in the event they become that desperate to over come the fear law enforcement have evidence they can use.
My brothers system proved that one.

Old 11-23-2013, 08:15 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,687,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
What type of alarms?

You can cut "the wire(s) " outside of the house, and that automatically triggers the alarm. You can have water get in the line and THAT will trigger the alarm (landscaper issues - BTDT).

If you have your alarm set and and it goes off in the middle of the night - you have time to grab your gun/bat/ wake your dog up....and then go looksee.
im always going to have a scary dog. its a great deterrent and in a worst case scenario she needs to buy my wife a few seconds to grab a gun.

alarm systems aren't that complicated. if something opens, it will go off. mine uses cellular technology so you cant cut a cord. I cant imagine a robber would stick around too long with the alarm going. the cops don't take too long to arrive. I doubt its worth killing my dog to steal some of my stuff.

motion detecting flood lights are also a no brainer. might as well get one with a camera also. now they have camera systems to put around and its not that expensive.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:00 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
I heard you should always check with local PD to see if they are inundated with false calls from security companies. I think a good security system contains the following:

A dog
Motion sensors with lights
Deadbolts
A gun
A security surveillance camera

Old 11-25-2013, 05:49 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,850,546 times
Dogs, flood lights, guns, signs, even cameras are all nice and are often helpful. They are not mutually exclusive.

Many items also come with conditions (e.g. some won't work for everyone...or don't help when you are away... or are triggered by animals or ...etc) or don't provide the same function (e.g. fire or water intrusion...temp/heat warnings...notifying help, etc) as a good modern home security system, which is also not 'perfect'.

These items can/do all compliment each other for certain people in certain places at certain times. Every situation is different and must be assessed that way.

We've had home systems in many places over the years and never felt them superfluous. YMMV...

Old 11-27-2013, 08:38 AM

415 posts, read 764,426 times
lol, the real security is to make your house less desirable to thief's, to where they might look at my house and see 1 of the security camera's and wonder how many more there might be, also see our Brinks security sign my wife got off e bay and then for sure see our motion-lights and think no cover of night..

then they look at my neighbors house, bushes near the house are way over grown, plenty of cover day or night... no motion flood lights and never lights on at night...Ahh easy pick in's..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey