Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 03:01 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,908,606 times

Advertisements

How do you like the Simplisafe system? It looks pretty solid and at $15/month for basic monitoring, like a good deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 05:07 PM

551 posts, read 1,189,246 times
Hi all, yes it has been since July that I have installed SimpliSafe 2 system, overall VERY satisfied customer so far! Installation was a snap, peel off back stickers (3M Command) and stick em! I placed sensors on all top floor windows, motion sensors in kitchen due to so many windows, and also got the extra siren in living room. Test mode is 3 days and gave me time to fine tune everything. I love online command center which shows you status of all your sensors and you can name them each too like LR, BR, MB, etc
Initial glitch did happen with the Dispatch center connection getting lost from base but they sent me a new revised cell module for my area and ever since have no problems at all! I get instant Txt alerts and so far no break in to report lol

I did sign up for the SimpliSafe 2 system so price is $24.99/mo still beats ADT and many others that are from $50+

Old 12-05-2012, 06:35 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,165,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithBrad View Post
I just got a home security system with a company I had never heard of before, ASG Security. Their employee told me that they don't advertise to offer cheaper rates... I LIKE THAT! I got my system for 29.95 a month, no install fee; no hidden costs. If nothing else, it gives me the solidarity of belief in having "peace of mind". The employee I met with, was great; his number is (919) 520-2801. Tell him that Brad from California recommended him! Good luck!
Right....

Old 12-05-2012, 07:49 AM

18 posts, read 48,564 times
Dont go with ADT!!! We had them for 5 year and had to temporary cancel when our contract was up, then later on reinstated the service. They falsy advertised on the call that we can go on a month to month basis. When we received the contract, they locked us down on a 3 year contract. We have been trying to cancel because we moved to a temporary apartment (3 months)and then to an apartment (for 1 year) were they do not allow hardwire alarm system. Every time you move they will lock you down and start you again for a 3 year contract and there is nothing you can do about it. I submitted a BBB report, contacted my attorney general, complaint online to every single site I could - even ADT FB page...nothing...we are locked down paying almost $30 a month for a service we dont have - and will not get. My 2 cents.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:17 AM

351 posts, read 272,317 times
Yes having a home security system is very good to have. If you decide to purchase an alarm system I suggest you get the full package, and look into which company is best in your area. Never just go with the cheapest company. Your safety is worth way more than saving a few extra dollars each month. Don't wait till something happens until you decide to install a home alarm system.

I always had an alarm system ever since I moved into my house. I even had installed intercoms. Also, for protection on my house I have bright spot lights which are as bright as the ones that light up a football field. When those lights are on, there is not one dark spot on my property. Those lights are only on when something out of the ordinary is occurring. I have the regular outdoor lights turn on by timers as well as having few timers inside my home. Though, I thought I would be fully protected someone was wondering my property. This was same week which my neighbors house been robbed. I was very confused and ran back inside the house. I didn't look back so I didn't know if he was chasing me or saw me. I didn't call the police I just spot lighted the trespasser which caused him to run. If I was to leave earlier my house would of been robbed. I call up relatives and then they called the police. I learned from this experience. 1.Always lock your car even in the driveway.2.Don't let the intruder know you saw them(they will run or attack you let the police catch them).3.Call the police right away and quickly.4.Always have the alarm on.5.Know that something will happen when you least expect it.6.Have short bushes or landscaping.7.Know that people will jump fences.8.Watch your surroundings even on your own property.9.Always park close to your front door.
It was dark out but not late I was heading out walking to my car until I had to run for my life back inside my home. Thank goodness I had good running shoes on. I am thankful that I had my house key on me. It was terrifying I didn't want to exit my house for a few days after this happened, with the fear of someone hiding on my property. The police did come to search but the person already escaped. The person dressed fully in black was near my car which was on my property, and driveway. My town is very safe and I would of never thought this could happen. It still scares me to think that I had to personally experience this alone. My heart was pounding and honesting I felt I was about to get a heart attack. I tried explaing in as much less detail as possible.
After this happened I started leaving indoor lights on all night, and adopted two dogs, rottweilers. After few years I finally feel safe with the dogs.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:50 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,854,204 times
Home systems offer more than just 'burglar alarms'...they
  • often have dial out heat, cold, water, gas detectors (and probably others...) ...
  • can have 'panic' buttons (on panels or wearable items) to neighbors, local dispatch or emergency services.
  • could be a help in 'hostage' or elderly resident situations.
  • can use wireless call out and sensors
  • Internet viable inside/outside cameras are often part of a larger system install
  • Insurance discounts are often available to defray (but not recover all) costs.
  • etc. etc.
I dislike systems/companies that require long term expensive contracts, but sometimes they are still a decent option depending on competition and your needs. There are 'local' companies in many areas that are often very good and often cheaper for comparable service. We prefer these (we can still call the owner/manager when we need to and get instant answers or help). The handyman/homeowner do-it-yourself option is improving too.

These systems along with so much 'tech' are evolving rapidly (no doubt there are 'apps' for this and that now). Take a look at what is out there by looking online and making a few calls.

I prefer having something rather than nothing...the degree that this is carried, the costs, and how it is achieved varies by individual/situation.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:42 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,060,342 times
My dog works just fine

Old 11-17-2013, 05:10 PM

4,940 posts, read 12,153,672 times
Don't bother with a security system. Remember that burglary spree in Wayne last year? Many of those homes had alarms and got broken into anyway. Thieves know how to circumvent the systems if they want to.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:08 PM

166 posts, read 241,045 times
My own experience suggests the opposite advice - I believe in alarms and recommend them highly. If you have one you must use it and have the central station monitoring service (preferably with a wireless connection in case the outside phone wire is disabled).
Our home was recently broken into when we were not home and the alarm went off (we don't have the signs / stickers advertising the alarm). The alarm company called the house - we didn't answer so they notified the police. From the alarm system we learned that the bad guys were in and out of the house in less than three minutes. They took nothing! I think this is because they didn't want to get caught and fled as soon as the alarm went off (or when the phone rang). Pick a system / company you like. I like more, not less, features but to each his / her own. If nothing else it may discourage bad guys from helping themselves to your stuff. They will usually get you a discount on your insurance - but make sure it's paid up!

Old 11-20-2013, 09:47 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,266,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Don't bother with a security system. Remember that burglary spree in Wayne last year? Many of those homes had alarms and got broken into anyway. Thieves know how to circumvent the systems if they want to.

What type of alarms?

You can cut "the wire(s) " outside of the house, and that automatically triggers the alarm. You can have water get in the line and THAT will trigger the alarm (landscaper issues - BTDT).

If you have your alarm set and and it goes off in the middle of the night - you have time to grab your gun/bat/ wake your dog up....and then go looksee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey