Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM

572 posts, read 2,029,021 times

Advertisements

They will not ever reduce a 4 point ticket to unsafe operation, especially going almost 100 in a 65. They will only reduce a 2 point ticket to a 0 point offense.

They also will not let you plead guilty (which is what you are doing when you are reducing the ticket) unless you admit guilt to the judge...hence it is called pleading down to a lesser offense. He will have to talk to the prosecutor prior to having his case called (they ususally ask all that want to speak to the prosecutor to line up while they handle the criminal cases). After he speaks to the prosecutor the judge will call his case, the prosecutor will advise the judge what he is pleading to and then the OP will have to say guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrz77 View Post
I wouldn't admit you were wrong. Lawyers are basically useless for traffic violations. Just go and speak to the prosecutor and he will most likely reduce your speeding ticket so that it's only a 2 pointer. You may even be able to get it reduced to "unsafe driving" which would be 0 points on your insurance. You probably won't even have to say anything to the prosecutor when you get called up. If he asks anything, just tell him you didn't realize you were going that fast and point out you do have a clean driving record. The clean driving record will help you out a lot.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:56 AM

7,228 posts, read 11,990,655 times
I'm curious as to why you needed to be going 96 MPH?

Old 10-18-2011, 12:37 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,698,300 times
My daughter drives on 287 twice a day.

Stay away from her!

She's only 25 and has her whole life to live...

I think a stiff fine and loss of license for a time might make you think twice about driving almost 100 mph on ANY road.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:07 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,300,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
They will not ever reduce a 4 point ticket to unsafe operation, especially going almost 100 in a 65. They will only reduce a 2 point ticket to a 0 point offense.

They also will not let you plead guilty (which is what you are doing when you are reducing the ticket) unless you admit guilt to the judge...hence it is called pleading down to a lesser offense. He will have to talk to the prosecutor prior to having his case called (they ususally ask all that want to speak to the prosecutor to line up while they handle the criminal cases). After he speaks to the prosecutor the judge will call his case, the prosecutor will advise the judge what he is pleading to and then the OP will have to say guilty.
I had a 4 point improper passing ticket reduced to 0 points a few months ago.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:10 PM

41 posts, read 129,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I can't believe anyone feels comfortable going 97 mph on 287.

Or 105 mph anywhere in the 3-dimensional world where space and time are separate entities.

What are you people trying to do? Go back to the future?
I wasn't technically even on the highway yet. Was only on an entrance ramp on the NYS thruway.

I haven't been pulled over for speeding since. Learned my lesson.

I've always been a bit of an adrenaline junkie, too. I've since found other ways of satisfying that rush.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:19 PM

Then you got away with 1. I am in the insurance industry and have a cousin who is a prosecutor and they never reduce from 4 to 0. It was not the intent of the unsafe operation violation or the intent of insurance companies giving 0 points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I had a 4 point improper passing ticket reduced to 0 points a few months ago.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM

You were doing 105 on an entrance ramp?

Being an adrenaline junkie is 1 thing, being a completely reckless idiot with no regard for the safety of people around them is a completely different story.

I hope your new ways to satisfy "that rush" only puts yourself in harms way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasDoc View Post
I wasn't technically even on the highway yet. Was only on an entrance ramp on the NYS thruway.

I haven't been pulled over for speeding since. Learned my lesson.

I've always been a bit of an adrenaline junkie, too. I've since found other ways of satisfying that rush.

Old 10-18-2011, 01:57 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,061,630 times
No one should be going that fast because that is reckless and there is no way you will win. If your license gets taken away it's your own fault.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:19 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,488,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrz77 View Post
I wouldn't admit you were wrong. Lawyers are basically useless for traffic violations. Just go and speak to the prosecutor and he will most likely reduce your speeding ticket so that it's only a 2 pointer. You may even be able to get it reduced to "unsafe driving" which would be 0 points on your insurance. You probably won't even have to say anything to the prosecutor when you get called up. If he asks anything, just tell him you didn't realize you were going that fast and point out you do have a clean driving record. The clean driving record will help you out a lot.
if i were the prosecutor, unless you drove a porsche, if you told me you didn't realize you were driving that fast, I'd burst out in laughter before telling you i wasn't reducing the infraction. but hopefully the prosecutor is nicer than I would be.

Old 10-18-2011, 02:19 PM

41 posts, read 129,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
You were doing 105 on an entrance ramp?

Being an adrenaline junkie is 1 thing, being a completely reckless idiot with no regard for the safety of people around them is a completely different story.

I hope your new ways to satisfy "that rush" only puts yourself in harms way.
Thanks for the lecture. I'll be sure to take notes on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey