Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,862 times

Advertisements

Hi!
We (my husband, son (7), daughter (5) and I) are considering moving from Wayne to possibly Lake Mohawk next year. I've seen some real interesting pictures and it seems what we've been looking for. My husband works in Summit (by Chatham) and it doenst seem like the commute is all that bad. Anyone have any information about the area they'd like to share? How's the winters? Are they much worse? Also, is there alot of traffic, conjestion, etc.? What about the people and atmosphere? It looks like a real nice lake community, which is what i'm looking for. What about the school system and the children in general? Thanks in advance for any info and input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 11:39 PM

25 posts, read 88,037 times
Lake Mohawk/Sparta area very nice but getting expensive. A bit of a ride to Chatham. The winters can be rough, but the other seasons really make up for it. Take a ride on some of the back roads in west jersey in the fall and spring and you'll understand the real deal of NJ. People who have only lived in the worst sections of NJ will of course only have bad opinions. Like any state you just have to do the research before you move. Sparta is a great area.

Old 08-04-2007, 01:53 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,763 times
Default Sparta

Expensive and high taxes!!!!

Old 08-05-2007, 12:09 PM

315 posts, read 1,006,111 times
Songbird. have you lived in Sparta all your life?, because I live in FL and just bought in Sparta in hopes of moving there in a couple of years. Take a look at taxes in FL. I wish our taxes in FL were as low as TN. I can understand if that is the only place you have lived, then it may feel high to you.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,395 times
I lived in sparta for ten years. i agree it is a beautiful place to live. alot of snobby people. Taxes are high! people aren't very friendly. but a great place to raise children. but make sure you give them a spriritual foundation. and i don't mean wicka or crystals notice alot of spooky churches around town.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:35 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,716,789 times
Sparta (and the surrouding towns, like Andover, Byram, Fredon, Green) are breathtakingly beautiful places to live. Taxes are high and some of the local governments are seriously corrupt. But, if you can get past the high taxes and figure out who the nice people are (there are many), you will absolutely LOVE living there. Winters can be rough but beautiful. I miss that place!

Old 10-25-2007, 08:52 AM

114 posts, read 343,640 times
I lived the first 23 of my 42 years in Lake Mohawk...my Dad used to call it Camelot. It was a lovely place to grow up....I still miss it and get back frequently. I beg to differ about the people. I found most to be very welcoming, and while you will get the 'PTA clique' in EVERY town, they are a bit more open there than other places I have lived. My husband and I seriously contemplated buying our first house there back in 1990 (in hindsight we should have), but we went a few towns over to get a little more for our money. No big deal, all of Sussex County is beautiful, and I miss it terribly! Coming from Wayne, the taxes and home prices won't be a shock. Winters are the same as in Wayne, and the atmosphere is 'upscale lake community'-which sums it up well. The schools remain good, although a higher percentage that average choose to send their kids to private schools...that has more to do with there being SO many great prep and parochial schools choices in northern NJ!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 AM

438 posts, read 964,966 times
sparta is nice but pricey. good brewrey on the lake called Kroghs that makes good beer.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:25 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,717,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation bound View Post
Songbird. have you lived in Sparta all your life?, because I live in FL and just bought in Sparta in hopes of moving there in a couple of years. Take a look at taxes in FL. I wish our taxes in FL were as low as TN. I can understand if that is the only place you have lived, then it may feel high to you.

HUH
Are you talking about Sparta NJ or Sparta TN???

Old 10-25-2007, 01:42 PM

1,800 posts, read 5,716,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemingway View Post
I lived the first 23 of my 42 years in Lake Mohawk...my Dad used to call it Camelot. It was a lovely place to grow up....I still miss it and get back frequently. I beg to differ about the people. I found most to be very welcoming, and while you will get the 'PTA clique' in EVERY town, they are a bit more open there than other places I have lived. My husband and I seriously contemplated buying our first house there back in 1990 (in hindsight we should have), but we went a few towns over to get a little more for our money. No big deal, all of Sussex County is beautiful, and I miss it terribly! Coming from Wayne, the taxes and home prices won't be a shock. Winters are the same as in Wayne, and the atmosphere is 'upscale lake community'-which sums it up well. The schools remain good, although a higher percentage that average choose to send their kids to private schools...that has more to do with there being SO many great prep and parochial schools choices in northern NJ!
Home prices and taxes won't be a shock? Have you priced out a lakefront home on Lake Mohawk lately? You'd be VERY surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey