Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2024, 01:01 PM

6 posts, read 12,114 times

Advertisements

Thinking of traveling with my elderly mother from Columbus, Ohio to Newark Airport and will need transportation to Lake Mohawk/Sparta, New Jersey.

What is the most efficient option? I am very hesitant to rent a car because I'm unfamiliar with the traffic in that area.

Has anyone done this drive? How is the drive getting out of the area surrounding the Newark Airport?

Better to rent a car or do Uber?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2024, 02:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
It's not a hard drive, though of course you could hit traffic depending on time of day. You'll probably want to rent a car because once you're to Sparta you'll want to get around; it's not a dense walkable city.

Getting out of the Newark Airport area is all highway driving. Follow the signs to I-78 west.

Old 03-17-2024, 08:59 PM

10,431 posts, read 6,954,235 times
You had the other post open, I'm sure a Mod will merge both threads.

It comes down to if YOU want to drive or not. Newark is a busy airport, and the Uber area usually has a lot of people (at least at Terminal C, which is United) and can be hectic, expect there to be at least 100 people there and to wait 10-20 minutes after ordering one before they arrive.

If I was to guess, an Uber is probably $65-100 each way, if there is a lot of people ordering one at once rates can surge to 3x that amount, which if that happens you have to wait like 30 minutes for it to die down. Also, I guess it depends what you plan to do in Sparta, its the suburbs and farther out in North Jersey so a car is needed. While Ubers are around that area, its less populated there and there likely less of them.

If you rent a car, you just hop on the airtrain after exiting the terminal and should be at the rental place at the airport in a ~5 minute ride.

Its all highway driving (easy drive) rt. 78, rt. 24, rt. 287, rt. 80, then rt. 15 to your destination about a 45 minute drive total. Traffic exists but won't be horrible unless its rush hour (even then there is only 1 area that bottlenecks rt. 24 turning into 287 North). People in New Jersey drive fast on the highways, so plan to go at least 10mph over the speed limit on the right lane. The most challenging part of that drive is probably leaving the airport to make sure you get on 78 west, and being sure you are in the middle lane (of the 3 lanes) on rt. 24 (about 20 minutes into the trip) because the road splits into 3 exits and rt. 287 north backs up anywhere from 1/4 to a mile long, if you're in the wrong lane people will let you merge but its just something you need to know about from experience.

Personally, if you're just a regular normal driver with GPS you should have zero issues, I'd rent a car over doing an uber because uber drivers can be weird, and you're limited on where you can go once in Sparta.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:26 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
DannyHobkins gave the answer. Just curious, you don't have family or a friend to pick you up at airport?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey