Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 PM

114 posts, read 343,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Home prices and taxes won't be a shock? Have you priced out a lakefront home on Lake Mohawk lately? You'd be VERY surprised.
As compared to Wayne NJ? No, not much of a shock...people from Wayne bought my house 4 years ago...they sold their 1960s 3/2 ranch for $582,000, so prices there are hugely inflated too. If the OP was coming from PA, or NC, it would be a HUGE shock! By the way, the house I grew up in is one of those Lake front homes on the East shore....which was second rate compared to the 'gated' west shore! My family still lives in town, so I keep up with the market there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 6,451 times
Thumbs down Sparta's radio message to the public

Maybe Sparta's public service radio announcement is only being broadcast in the general vicinity of Sussex County, but they've been vehemently broadcasting their displeasure at Governor Corzine's wanting Sparta to build a certain number of low to moderate income housing units. Sparta indicates in the radio announcements that they don't want that kind of people in their town and that they need to "protect their residents". Well, if you accept state funding for your town, you also need to accept state mandates, Sparta.

I wonder if they realize or even care how bigoted and racist they sound in these public radio broadcasts. Shame on you, Sparta! A person's race, income or source of income does not make them either good or bad people. What determines a person's worth is how they treat others and it's obvious what you think of people who live outside of your town. I don't see why anyone would want to live there or to have their children grow up in an atmostphere where they would come into contact with such bigotry.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 AM

6 posts, read 18,030 times
I grew up in Sparta. The schools are average to less than average for NJ. I haven't seen the high school ranked in the top 100 statewide recently. I know it used to be. The town is filled with snobs; there are certainly nice people living there, but they must be actively sought. The natural setting is nice, but no different than most NW NJ towns.

What I always found hilarious about that place is that so many people there thought they were hot sh*t, so to speak, yet when you compared incomes and education to the rest of the state, Sparta was nothing more than typical for a NJ suburb/exurb. I would say Sparta is OK for NJ, pretty mediocre compared with anywhere else. I would certainly have no desire to live there again.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:48 AM

1,308 posts, read 4,620,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
[/i][/b]

HUH
Are you talking about Sparta NJ or Sparta TN???
I had to read that twice also Kate. My sister lives and works there and said the people are snobby for the most part, it is pretty though.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,473 times
Default Sparta, NJ

My son in law's family is one of the founding families in Sparta, where Sparta HS is where his families farm was, Sparta imo is just like any of the towns surrounding it, its a very nice town, and of course if you mention Lake Mohawk, that was always considered "money" and I'm talking maybe 40 yrs ago. New Jersey as a whole has gotten to be quite expensive......wish I could afford to move back to NJ.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:36 PM

50 posts, read 174,070 times
Sparta to Summit during rush hour???? Depending on where you are living/working in each town, it is an hour drive without traffic!!!! No back roads that will save you time. 15 or 206 south to 80 and back again!!!!

Town and surrounding area is nice though.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,248 times
I'd just like to say that I have lived in sparta my entire life, went away to college in south carolina and fell in love with the southern hospitality. I met a bunch of kids that were from towns surrounding Sparta and every single one of them turned up their noses when I told them where I was from. I don't understand why my town has such a terrible reputation for being snobby. I cannot wait to graduate school and live on the lake once I get married. I love that I was raised here. I love the fact that when you are friends with a kid from school or church, your not just friends with that one kid, you are now friends with their entire family.
Majority of the neighborhoods don't lock their doors at night and wave to anyone that drives down their road. Every one knows everything about everyone but overall it is a very supportive community with one of the most impressive displays of a family atmosphere. I am so proud to be from this town and I feel bad for those who may have had an unfortunate encounter with a fellow spartan but every town has good and bad in it.
I've never met a family that didn't welcome me into their house and show the same curtious, hospitality that I've been shown down south. I apologize if you have been misinformed but i encourage families to feel welcome in our town and to get involved! It is what you make of it.

Peace

Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
she said she lives in Wayne, thats not a low tax area by any means! I actually think Wayne's taxes are higher!! You will love Sparta, however its different than Wayne. Wayne is very shopping and shopping and strip malls and action and people where Sparta is not as busy. There is no great shopping in Sparta, a few things but not alot, so if your into that and action its out of the loop. Its a nice place, why dont you take visit, come eat, walk, and talk. There is a real estate agent right on the Boardwalk pick their brains. I personally like it better than Wayne, depends on what you want. Actually I do not find alot of good food in Sparta either, Zoe's on the Lake was good but gone, Docs is a joke dont waste your money. The little bakery is the best actually. YOu really need to come and see it and drive around, its nothing like Wayne. I dont find people snobby, but thats me. I find is lacking in things that you think Sparta would have such as a good place to eat or a great food store but thats why we have cars. Overall Wayne is getting so overcrowded and crazy with spending that I think you will love Sparta!!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:59 PM

6 posts, read 23,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella napoli View Post
I lived in sparta for ten years. i agree it is a beautiful place to live. alot of snobby people. Taxes are high! people aren't very friendly. but a great place to raise children. but make sure you give them a spriritual foundation. and i don't mean wicka or crystals notice alot of spooky churches around town.

I have lived in Sparta since 1999, and agree with you about the people being snobby and not very friendly. Sparta has been a safe place to raise my kids, but there are other more friendly safe places to live.

Between the people and the taxes if I had it to do over again I would not have moved here.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 PM

6 posts, read 23,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina87 View Post

I've never met a family that didn't welcome me into their house and show the same curtious, hospitality that I've been shown down south. I apologize if you have been misinformed but i encourage families to feel welcome in our town and to get involved! It is what you make of it.

Peace
I have lived in Sparta since 1999 and have rarely been welcomed into anyone's home. If you are not part of the old guard or wealthy guard you will not fit in here. This is not a sociable town, there is an arrogance and sense of entitlement to most residents in this town and people in the surrounding communities do like Sparta residents as a result.

I cannot wait until my last child graduates from High School so I can get out of this town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey