Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:02 PM

5 posts, read 18,415 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? St. Petersburg, FL
Why are you moving? Job opportunities, Personal
Where will you be working ? Probably Jersey City, Hoboken, Union City (Depends more so on where Im living)

Will you buy or rent? Rent
What is your budget ? At the moment looking for cheap roommate situation. Overall it depends on my job and how much I'll make through it then I'll figure it out from there.
What kind of place are you looking for ? Apartment, something similar

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) it needs to be affordable. I don't need "Gentrified" safety. Basically I don't want to live in a ghetto but I don't need a cop on every street corner.

List three things that are important to you in order of importance. I want to live near the light rail system so I can travel to the PATH train. Or just near the PATH train, does not matter.

I need SERIOUS answers, preferably backed with facts or personal experiences.

I'm looking for a cheap roommate. The area dosent need to be super safe. Something near the light rail or other form of dependable public transportation. Preferably in or near Jersey City/Hoboken/Union City.

Anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 02:15 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,907,036 times
All 3 have Light Rail lines and stops , Jersey City and Hoboken have the PATH. Jersey City and Union City are cheaper then Hoboken , Weehawken and Bayonne are also cities to look at. They all are tied into the Transit network. In Jersey City Avoid Bergen - Layette and Greenville , those are dangerous sections but the rest of the city is nice and safe by Regional standards. Union City is mostly Hispanic , and Bayonne is mostly white. Hoboken , Jersey City and Weehawken are very diverse , in wealth and Race. In Jersey City look in Journal SQ , Historic Downtown and The Heights.....for cheaper places to rent which would start at 1200-1300$ a month. If you don't have a job yet , then i wouldn't move anywhere near the NJ Gold Coast. You should probably live in one of the Satilite cities like New Brunswick , Hackensack , Morristown before attempting to move to more expensive NJ Gold Coast.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:26 PM

This is why I'm interested in finding a roommate. On some online sites I'm seeing rents as cheap as $300 dollars with a roommate. Their probably small studio apartments. Which I'm perfectly fine with. By moving into a cheap place like this I can be situated in Jersey which will make it better for me in finding a job in my licensed profession. My friend told me about journal square so I'll probably go check it out.

Does anyone know of any dependable, good roommate websites?

and Im currently staying with someone in manhattan

Old 05-03-2011, 03:01 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,450,829 times
i think journal square, jersey city heights are your best bets. nothing about hoboken strikes "cheap". and i doubt you'd find a roomate share that cheap. i'd be shocked if you could manage much less than $700-$900/month. my friend rents a studio uptown for around $1500/month. it's not far from the lightrail, bus, and is walkable to the path. but it'd be very hard to share that place with a roomate. could be done...you'd have to really like each other though.

jersey city heights and parts of jersey city...much more affordable.

union city...too far from the methods of transportation you want (PATH and Lightrail). but....bus into the city could be an option?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:21 PM

16 posts, read 72,061 times
Try journal square/mcguinly square. Easy wake to JSQ Path train. Most areas not ghetto or not too ghetto.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:51 PM

Catching a bus to the light rail or PATH is something I can consider. I found a particular add on a roommate website that mentioned that the apartment was located in jersey heights but the map that accompanied the page, which showed where the apartment was located, tagged it as being in Fairview.

Is this correct or do you think this person may have made a mistake when posting the ad?

Old 05-03-2011, 07:00 PM

303 posts, read 754,131 times
THE HEIGHTS (not jersey city heights) or J.Sq will most likely be your best bet. They offer some affordable housing without being crime ridden area. A few months back helping my sister look for an apartment we found several 1bd that fell between $650- $900 just on central ave alone. The only light rail stop THE HEIGHTS has is on congress unfortunately, but the heights has a bus stop on practically every corner, if not just a brief walk. J.sq is easier in terms of PT since J.sq is the transit hub of the city. If you plan on having a car this area will be a little easier since it is not as dense as the rest of the city.

Hoboken would be hard, unless you plan on staying with 5 roommates in a 1 bd apartment. HBK is expensive and really only those that are already established in their careers can live there.

Union City would also fit the bill since it is very affordable and has plenty of buses passing throughout the city, and SOME light rail stops. But its mostly hispanic and apprently not many people are too fond of that....wonder why? Biased anyone? not that you are, im not sure if you mind that but that seems to be a reason people give for not moving there. Union City is also very dense and walkable, so if you plan on not having a car this would be the best location.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTNewJersey View Post
Catching a bus to the light rail or PATH is something I can consider. I found a particular add on a roommate website that mentioned that the apartment was located in jersey heights but the map that accompanied the page, which showed where the apartment was located, tagged it as being in Fairview.

Is this correct or do you think this person may have made a mistake when posting the ad?
could be right or the maps fault. sometimes maps are off on the correct location. then you should call the person who has the add and ask them if that is the correct address. Fairview though is pretty far from JC, no light rails up there and some buses.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:25 PM

The ad says Jersey City Heights. I don't know if this is the same thing as The heights.

I don't have a problem with hispanics or any other ethnic group.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMTNewJersey View Post
The ad says Jersey City Heights. I don't know if this is the same thing as The heights.

I don't have a problem with hispanics or any other ethnic group.
its just stupid to say jersey city heights. REAL residents just call it the Heights. Even the signs put up by the city call it THE HEIGHTS. its the sme place but jersey city heights sounds stupid, thas all it is.

THE HEIGHTS, not jersey city heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey