Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,091,387 times

Advertisements

You'll be fine in Jersey City Heights. I live on the border but in Union City and have had no problems. UC/JC are going to be cheapest adn there are light rail stops.

I have 3 sets of friends that are currently looking for a roommate. All good people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 03:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,091,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizandryan View Post
Hi there,

My wife, son and I have lived in Union City for the past year and can say that we love it here. We're actually in the process of buying a property here because we really fell in love with the neighborhood. We live very close to Washington Park, which divides Union City from Jersey City (Heights area). Previously we lived in Hoboken for a few years and moved just up the hill because we were able to slash our rent by more than half.

Commuting from the UC/JC area is VERY easy. The light rail is less than a 10 minute walk from most places and there are many many busses that will get you into Port Authority in about 20-25 minutes most mornings (though be prepared for the occasional nightmare commute every few months when there's a bad accident in one of the tunnels). Commuting from Union City is actually much easier for us than it was from where we were in Hoboken, and much easier than it was from our previous Brooklyn apartment.

As far as safety, I can see how this area might not appear to be as good on the surface as areas which have been completely gentrified (like Hoboken). Partially because the area is around 80% Hispanic and is very much working class. But for me, I consider that a good thing. We could all use a little more diversity in our lives. And I have to say that the area we live in is really GREAT. All my neighbors say hello, good morning, and are generally as friendly as can be. In 2 years in a building in Hoboken, I never so much as got a hello in my elevator. Here, a neighbor is likely to knock on my door if they see the parking authority come through on a street sweeping day if I haven't yet moved my car.

I can't speak for the JC heights (though my cousin lived on Congress St. for the past 18 months before he bought in Hoboken) as much as I can UC, but I think you'll find yourself very happy in either place. If you're just moving to the NYC area for the first time, it's a great spot to land in and get a feel for where you might want to be long term. And the rents are CHEAP!!

Good Luck!
Well said. We're neighbors, I'm right by the park as well.

Old 05-29-2011, 02:21 PM

337 posts, read 969,730 times
Default try jersey city

JC has lots of nice upcoming areas. Hoboken has always been a nice area. I grew up in Union City and although it's improved a little, it's still ghetto.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:02 PM

88 posts, read 263,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
JC has lots of nice upcoming areas. Hoboken has always been a nice area. I grew up in Union City and although it's improved a little, it's still ghetto.
where specifically in JC is it changing?

Old 10-28-2011, 05:01 PM

576 posts, read 1,597,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el77 View Post
It's almost impossible to tell the difference when you've crossed from JC to Union City. They are pretty much the same thing.

Old 10-28-2011, 05:02 PM

576 posts, read 1,597,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc1986 View Post
where specifically in JC is it changing?
The only place with significant change is east of the turnpike extension. Other areas are very block by block.

Old 10-31-2011, 11:45 AM

43 posts, read 139,880 times
To the OP:

I'm not sure of your age, but I'm 27 and originally from Northern NJ so I know these areas very well. They each have their pros and cons.

Hoboken

Pros: Largely Gentrified (except for some isolated pockets), great access to NYC (PATH, BUS) and points West (commuter rail), solid nightlife

Cons: Since it's mostly "discovered", it's expensive. Parking is also a nightmare if you have a car. $250 a month for a space or find street parking. Some quality of life issues (young drunk people on weekends/occasional fights). Nothing too crazy. Morning commute by car is pretty bad (depending on your area).

Summary: You are looking at around $1300-$1400 minimum for a studio. Tack on another $250 or so if you need a car. Then add utilities.

Many room shares on Craigslist in Hoboken. There are also a lot of people living 3 to 4 in an apartment. It may be less than ideal for a single male.

Downtown Jersey City (Grove Path Area)

Pros: Gentrification process is under-way. Solid access to NYC/Hoboken if needed.

Cons: It can get a little quieter at night. This may not be a bad thing depending on your tastes. Limited nightlife, but this is slowly changing.

As one poster said, for a studio you are looking at $1450 or so minimum

Overall

It really depends on what you are looking for. I would avoid Union City at this time.

In short, the rents in Hoboken (and I'm assuming surrounding areas), have skyrocketed in the last few years. Less people buying = more renting.

In May of 2008, I had a very nice two bedroom apartment. My share was $950 plus utilities. Today, it would probably take $1100-$1150 EACH to have the same place. (Just a guess).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey