Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,888,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
actually even if the train is restored the 553 will still remain the most direct route to atlantic city. Also those are false styreotypes. I have used it before so I have to greatly disagree the problem with that line is its 24/7 service at night it can get creepy however during the day sit next to the driver then sleep. The train from vineland will not reach atlantic city. According to the projects NJT plans. Unless you want to go all the way to cape may and get 552 the 553 will remain uncontested for a long time. Plus the line is extremely overcrowded. The line is literally a sardine can ppl always complain that there isnt enough service on it. Sorry buddy but the train only goes as far as millville. The 553 however needs an upgrade bigtime. Some B/O's have little tolerance for crap from criminal. But then again I must have been very lucky or sleeping helps.

My friend was definitely NOT flashing items around, she was asleep, although I'm not sure when she was riding it. Personally, and I have taken public buses before, and found them to be rather confusing. It was mostly because other than the terminal, I wasn't really sure where they went and where they stopped. I also wasn't really sure when they left. However, that could probably be rectified with better signage. The big thing that rail has over the bus though is its visual presence (ie: tracks, stations, overhead wire)

Also, it is completely possible for a train to originate in Bridgeton (and points West/South), travel through Vineland, switch over to the Atlantic City line at Winslow Junction, and terminate in Atlantic City. Unfortunately, it wouldn't serve the hospital and CCC.

EDIT:
I complain to NJT all the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 14,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
My friend was definitely NOT flashing items around, she was asleep, although I'm not sure when she was riding it. Personally, and I have taken public buses before, and found them to be rather confusing. It was mostly because other than the terminal, I wasn't really sure where they went and where they stopped. I also wasn't really sure when they left. However, that could probably be rectified with better signage. The big thing that rail has over the bus though is its visual presence (ie: tracks, stations, overhead wire)

Also, it is completely possible for a train to originate in Bridgeton (and points West/South), travel through Vineland, switch over to the Atlantic City line at Winslow Junction, and terminate in Atlantic City. Unfortunately, it wouldn't serve the hospital and CCC.

EDIT:
One person complaining isnt going to change the fact. Im sure plenty of people compain however...you need alot of people. A petition would help...A train would help but the 553 still would be the winner because the train cant go places where the 553 does. All the train would do is help areas aound the stations grow at a much faster rate and bring in more businesses around the stations.

Another thing creating park n rides along the 553 would help out the people that get confused riding the bus. A park n ride is basically mini bus terminals.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,888,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 553X Millville View Post
One person complaining isnt going to change the fact. Im sure plenty of people compain however...you need alot of people. A petition would help...A train would help but the 553 still would be the winner because the train cant go places where the 553 does. All the train would do is help areas aound the stations grow at a much faster rate and bring in more businesses around the stations.

Another thing creating park n rides along the 553 would help out the people that get confused riding the bus. A park n ride is basically mini bus terminals.

Personally, I think the 553 will probably still be needed (and a train from Philly through Glassboro, Vineland, Millville, terminating in Cape May would be more useful than the one that would replace the 553), but I've tried petitions and getting others to complain. The problem is that NJT doesn't really seem to give a crap. I don't think park and rides would really work in this area for a bus, at least along that route.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Personally, I think the 553 will probably still be needed (and a train from Philly through Glassboro, Vineland, Millville, terminating in Cape May would be more useful than the one that would replace the 553), but I've tried petitions and getting others to complain. The problem is that NJT doesn't really seem to give a crap. I don't think park and rides would really work in this area for a bus, at least along that route.
There was a plan for a rail line along the median of route 55 to/from philly idk what happened to that plan though.

I dont think you peeps try hard enough.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,954,938 times
Quote:
There was a plan for a rail line along the median of route 55 to/from philly idk what happened to that plan though.

I dont think you peeps try hard enough.
actually NJT is already on it the glassboro line will soon be extended to millville and a busway along rte 55 is planned when NJT holds meetings about the rte55 corridor you ought to attend and let them know

Old 05-27-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:

EDIT:
the lack of bus maps hurt bus lines in SJ there are buses to philly from bridgeton the 410 and express the 313 but the 313 is horrid and only has 4 trips. It is true you ppl dont complain enough how do I know. I met several ppl who lived along rte 77 when I asked them about 410 they literally had no idea what I was talking about they didnt know there was a bus there???? The really funny part they travel to philly often too!!!!

Old 05-27-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:

EDIT:
The vineland line would be better off going to aberdeen via ocean county and letting winslow junction be a transfer station like a south jersey version of secaucus jct LOL. Switch there fot AC trains or cape may ones!!!!!

Old 05-27-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
the lack of bus maps hurt bus lines in SJ there are buses to philly from bridgeton the 410 and express the 313 but the 313 is horrid and only has 4 trips. It is true you ppl dont complain enough how do I know. I met several ppl who lived along rte 77 when I asked them about 410 they literally had no idea what I was talking about they didnt know there was a bus there???? The really funny part they travel to philly often too!!!!
That statement about the 410 is very true. I did one 410 trip because a driver got sick or so they say. Anyways alot of those peeps that live along state highway 77 drive back a fourth to philly and dont even know a 410 ever existed. Thats very sad on NJTs part. Thats money out the door right there. Now that little apartment complex they have sitting in the middle of nowhere is a major 410 feeder. I mainly do the 313 & 553 but once the summer start im doing the 316.

The 410 as I said gets most of its peeps from the mexicans who work along 77 from upper deerfield to the mullica hilll area.

Also I did hear about the planned rt55 bus service. rt55 is supposed to be extended to cape may as that was the original plan. Idk but south jersey needs major improvment. Moving from long island to this was a shocker to me. But i do know njt only looks at north jersey service.

Old 05-27-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
That statement about the 410 is very true. I did one 410 trip because a driver got sick or so they say. Anyways alot of those peeps that live along state highway 77 drive back a fourth to philly and dont even know a 410 ever existed. Thats very sad on NJTs part. Thats money out the door right there. Now that little apartment complex they have sitting in the middle of nowhere is a major 410 feeder. I mainly do the 313 & 553 but once the summer start im doing the 316.

The 410 as I said gets most of its peeps from the mexicans who work along 77 from upper deerfield to the mullica hilll area.

Also I did hear about the planned rt55 bus service. rt55 is supposed to be extended to cape may as that was the original plan. Idk but south jersey needs major improvment. Moving from long island to this was a shocker to me. But i do know njt only looks at north jersey service.
If that was the case then they wouldnt bother with the 55 corridor project that will make 313 way faster by keeping it on the highway instead of rte 47. If they eliminated all 552 short runs they would have enough trips to cover the 313 and 315 with bi hourly service at least. The 552 short runs are they even useful?? LOL about the 410!!!! bad marketing and no route map= high potential routes with a few riders!!!!= 410!!! NJT marketing is beyond sad I only learned about it by looking at planning documents from driveless.com

Old 05-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Those 552 short runs are pointless. Take away those short runs and you have enough buses for other service. I disagree about the 313 being on 55 from cape may. I would keep it on route 47 till vineland and then get on rt55 at exit 32. Then expand the 408 to be more frequent. 313 is basically a variant of the 408.

When I do the 313 ppl crowd it because they know it runs express from Pitman/Wenonah via 55 42 76 then 676 to Camden then Philly. The 412 is basically a 408 variant also...the only diff is it runs via Broadway through camden while the 408 stays on 676 to Gloucester City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey