Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 9,823 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in new brunswick. My girlfriend just moved to Jersey City, and last Friday I parked my car on Kennedy Blvd overnight but second day morning I got a ticket, I asked around and understood I blocked the way when JCIA(Jersey City Incinerator Authority) cleaned the road. But that was my first time parked car in Jersey City and have no idea there is JCIA, so I am thinking about to fight the ticket, any suggestion?
BTW, The ticket title is "complaint and summons" an below that there is "you are hereby summoned to appear before the court to answer the complaint charging you with the offense listed:" I just got a car couple months ago and never been to court before, so there are couple questions:
1. what is "summoned to appear BEFORE the court" mean?
2. Should I pay the ticket at court?
3. If fight a ticket($42 not much, but I still want to try), what document should I take with me?
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 09:58 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,615,796 times
Parking tickets usually are a joke legally, except I would almost always take care of it, lest they attack your legal license status.
Usually you can either pay it anytime before the scheduled court date.
If you want to try and beat it, I might suggest taking pictures of the area and any signs as posted if they back your claim of no notice.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:46 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,337,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swat518 View Post
Hi, I live in new brunswick. My girlfriend just moved to Jersey City, and last Friday I parked my car on Kennedy Blvd overnight but second day morning I got a ticket, I asked around and understood I blocked the way when JCIA(Jersey City Incinerator Authority) cleaned the road. But that was my first time parked car in Jersey City and have no idea there is JCIA, so I am thinking about to fight the ticket, any suggestion?
BTW, The ticket title is "complaint and summons" an below that there is "you are hereby summoned to appear before the court to answer the complaint charging you with the offense listed:" I just got a car couple months ago and never been to court before, so there are couple questions:
3. If fight a ticket($42 not much, but I still want to try), what document should I take with me?
Thank you!!
You got a ticket because you were parked on the street during street cleaning. There are signs on every street indicating when streets are cleaned. If you are parked there, you will be ticketed. Before you park, read the signs. Do this in any city, not just Jersey City. Also, be aware that in many parts of Jersey City, you have to have a resident parking permit to park on the street. If you plan to park for more than two hours, you must have the resident permit. Again, check the signs on the street to see if resident permits are required in that area.

Do not try to fight the ticket. You have no argument. "I don't know what JCIA is" is not a legitimate defense. Save yourself the time and frustration and pay the fine. If you go to court there is a 100% chance you will lose and have to pay anyway.

You have the option to appear at court on the date specified on the ticket. Or you may pay the ticket online. There should be a website address printed on the ticket. Go there, enter the ticket number and license plate number, and you can pay the fine using a credit card.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:27 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,772,506 times
Ignorance of the law is not a defendable excuse. Do yourself a favor and just pay the $42 ticket. You would more than likely lose more in lost wages or blowing a vacation day to sit in court and from what you are telling us would lose anyway and have to pay, in addition there may be court costs you will end up paying when you lose

Old 08-18-2010, 05:40 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,375,964 times
^^^^what they said.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:19 AM

3 posts, read 9,823 times
OK thank you guys, I will do what you said. should I have to go to court if I pay the ticket online before the court date?

Old 08-18-2010, 09:23 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,772,506 times
Quote:
OK thank you guys, I will do what you said. should I have to go to court if I pay the ticket online before the court date?
No not for a parking ticket..just make sure you print & keep the receipt they give you

Old 08-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Mej

24 posts, read 54,011 times
Quote:
Thank you!!

Swat, you might be luckier convincing your girlfriend to give you the $42 than having the Jersey City judge dismiss the ticket! Remember, Jersey City judges with their rather expert knack of squinting at you from the bench till you say 'Guilty' are no New Brunswick country boys.

BEFORE the court does not mean timewise, it means to Go IN FRONT of the court, to appear in front of the Judge.

Old 08-20-2010, 01:29 PM

5,773 posts, read 16,615,796 times
Quote:
No, if you pay the ticky, the deal is over and done with. You probably can pay online right from your keyboard too.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM

10 posts, read 57,596 times
I think if you pay the ticket online they charge you $2 or something along those lines.
But I can nearly guarantee you that if you actually go to court, not only will you have to pay that $42, you'll also get stuck with a $20 "wasting-the-court's-time" fee they call "court costs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey