Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 06:08 PM

7 posts, read 78,622 times

Advertisements

Hi. I have lived in Jersey City for 2 years. I can not get a permit for my car. I have my lease, I have gone to jury duty on Newark Ave., and yet I can not park on the streets. Why? Because it ain't my car, my Dad lets me use to go to work (when it is not in nyc) and to my Dr.'s (I am chronically ill).

I was just booted last week and I went to pay my 75 bucks to set it free and I got a parking ticket for 42 bucks. That would prove I drive the car and yet, that I am not trying to get a permit for someone else, hell my driver's license is the same address on the reg. so it must come from MY FAMILY'S HOUSEHOLD, but alas, nothing. I can't park on my own streets.

Any suggestions or contacts at the mayor's office you can share with me? I would HATE to have yuppie commuters take all our spaces, but I am a resident, I drive that car...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2007, 06:53 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnpiketramp View Post
Hi. I have lived in Jersey City for 2 years. I can not get a permit for my car. I have my lease, I have gone to jury duty on Newark Ave., and yet I can not park on the streets. Why? Because it ain't my car, my Dad lets me use to go to work (when it is not in nyc) and to my Dr.'s (I am chronically ill).

I was just booted last week and I went to pay my 75 bucks to set it free and I got a parking ticket for 42 bucks. That would prove I drive the car and yet, that I am not trying to get a permit for someone else, hell my driver's license is the same address on the reg. so it must come from MY FAMILY'S HOUSEHOLD, but alas, nothing. I can't park on my own streets.

Any suggestions or contacts at the mayor's office you can share with me? I would HATE to have yuppie commuters take all our spaces, but I am a resident, I drive that car...
as long as you have your poor attitude you probabl won't get too much help from anyone.
You need to chill out, learn the rules and then figure out a way to bend them

Old 05-08-2007, 06:59 PM

I would say define poor attitude? I have seen many links on people trying to help out their fellow Jersey City Citizens. I have just wrote the Mayor a letter with my concerns and that I need a car to live in JC but can not park there and others could also have that problem and what can I do to find a solution.

Old 05-08-2007, 08:49 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,736 times
Jersey City parking permits are tied to both your address and the address the car is registered at. Both the address on your drivers' license and the address on the vehicle registration must be the same and must be in Jersey City. You then get a permit for the parking zone the address is in.

Because the address on the car (and it sounds like the drivers license as well) are not in JC, you will not be able to get a permit. Period. They are extremely strict about this as parking is at quite a premium in JC.

The only thing you can do is ask to be put on the car's registration and move the address on the registration to be in JC. You will of course than have to get insurance with the JC address too.

Old 05-08-2007, 10:33 PM

I will keep everyone updated about talking to the MAYOR and Councilman Gaughan from Ward D about this. I cannot have the car in my name because I do not have the pink slips. After my Father pays for the car he is going to turn it over to me, it can't happen before that, which is why it is not in J.C. all the time, it is usually in Old Bridge.

I have not changed my license because the DMV said I didn't have to, the old residents on it is my parent's anyway and I am down there often (for they are sickly).

Certainly my situation does not reek of an-out-of-towner-trying-to-park-in-jc-and-work-in-nyc, and so it should call for JCPA to use digression. LOGICALLY. I am a resident, I appeared when that car was booted and paid them to take it off. I live here.

Listen to the JCPA link on this page. Also the one about the courts and how 80 percent of the violations in JC are due to parking/traffic. It might be less about giving residents parking and more about leveling off J.C.P.A. debt.

http://www.channel125.com/tp12.htm

.... Guide to JC Municipal Court
.... JC Parking Authority

Old 05-09-2007, 02:57 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnpiketramp View Post
I will keep everyone updated about talking to the MAYOR and Councilman Gaughan from Ward D about this. I cannot have the car in my name because I do not have the pink slips. After my Father pays for the car he is going to turn it over to me, it can't happen before that, which is why it is not in J.C. all the time, it is usually in Old Bridge.

I have not changed my license because the DMV said I didn't have to, the old residents on it is my parent's anyway and I am down there often (for they are sickly).

Certainly my situation does not reek of an-out-of-towner-trying-to-park-in-jc-and-work-in-nyc, and so it should call for JCPA to use digression. LOGICALLY. I am a resident, I appeared when that car was booted and paid them to take it off. I live here.

Listen to the JCPA link on this page. Also the one about the courts and how 80 percent of the violations in JC are due to parking/traffic. It might be less about giving residents parking and more about leveling off J.C.P.A. debt.

http://www.channel125.com/tp12.htm

.... Guide to JC Municipal Court
.... JC Parking Authority

you are too stubborn and you just don't get it.
Like others have told you, for the car to get a parking sticker, it MUST be registered to an address in Jersey City, your license must have a JC address.
Do you realize that you are committing insurance fraud by claiming the car is domiciled in Old Bridge when in actuality it is kept in JC?.

You must be one of those 20 somethings that the media talks about because you havn't learned that the world does not revolve around your needs.

Old 05-09-2007, 03:50 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,736 times
turnpiketramp--

As you yourself mentioned, the car is not yours and is not usually in JC. Whether or not you agree with the parking laws in JC, they are specifically designed to exclude people in situations such as yours from getting a parking permit.

Why? Because a parking permit is not issued for a RESIDENT, it's issued for a VEHICLE. If the city issues permits to residents for any car registered in NJ, what's to stop people from getting a permit for a family member or friend's car (registered somewhere else) so they can park close to the PATH and commute into Manhattan?

Old 05-09-2007, 03:59 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,307,243 times
I promise you the mayor will laugh out loud when/if he ever sees your letter. downtownjc explained the rules. I understand you're probably frustrated because you got caught and had to pay a fine, but if you want to avoid it in the future, you've got to meet the requirements for having a permit.

As far as the city knows, you and your dad's car belong in Old Bridge, not the streets of Jersey City. If you want the city's perception of you and your dad's car to change, get your address changed and the car's address changed. Boom! Problem solved! You won't have to worry about parking tickets and boots, just higher insurance premiums!

Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 PM

> I thank you for your help and a lot of venom, I guess that why you like to post online, best to hide that way. Thank you for calling me names and saying I am breaking the law. For those have have helped me thank you very much. If you look on the JCPA site it says:

The Jersey City Parking Authority was founded in 1949 to insure that adequate on-street parking was available for homeowners, residents, visitors, shoppers and delivery vehicles in the State’s second largest municipality. In the 1950’s and 1960’s, the demand for on-street parking was increasing as more automobiles poured into the City from suburban communities, with a majority of their occupants destined for work locations across the Hudson River in New York City.

> Parking for the resident/homeowner, not the car.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:41 PM

P.S. the JCPA people TOLD me to go to the Mayor about this, which is what I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey