Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,952,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
if you think pills are easier, do your research. most people just overdose on pills and end up in the hospital or braindead.

the train is probably a good way to make it quick.
No one said that pills would be easier. Just that it would be less selfish, as it wouldn't scar for life some innocent person or people who didn't have anything to do with the life of misery & disappointment that led to the suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:52 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,660,611 times
My dad is a psychiatrist. He has had patients who was either a subway conductor or bus driver who had someone run in front of their train/bus. It really does mess them up for a long time. The nightmares they have for months. It is not something you can get over quickly. I feel for the person desperate enough to jump in front of a moving train/bus, but is cowardly to make someone else responsible for your death.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,695,048 times
As someone who has been on the verge of suicide myself I can safely say that I never would have considered doing something that would have caused emotional harm to befall anyone else around me. Why should innocent bystanders have to be inconvenienced or even traumatized by my own selfishness? My plan was to poison myself and then dial 911 with my last few breaths so that first responders could remove my corpse before it would begin to cause unpleasantness for my neighbors. I'd also be sure to leave a note for the responders to not feel guilty if they couldn't revive me because my wish would have been to not be revived.

I must say, though, some (most, as a matter of fact) of you in this thread are really cruel. For such an educated and affluent state many of you aren't really sympathetic to those suffering from mental illness, are you? We're not all Gothic outliers who listen to sadistic music to pump us up for a reckless death. I'm actually a suburban middle-class professional. Sometimes even when pursuing help and treatment some people are just too far gone. It's tragic---not "moronic." It's easy for the uneducated to say "just smile, darnit", but for people with severe depression it isn't so simple.

People who commit suicide in a public way want the world to experience their pain as they remove themselves from this life. It's very selfish. I agree with that. However, I'd ask for more of you to have a bit more respect. I came very, very close to ending my life earlier this year after enduring some severe emotional trauma, and I am now grateful to be alive. Instead of maligning these people why not urge those around you who seem "unwell" to open up to you or try to get them help?

Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 PM

255 posts, read 882,773 times
Restenrunner, I'm sorry you've experienced that. Please stay strong and know that you are loved.
Depression and suicidal tendencies are no joke, and if someone hasn't suffered the depths of despair to that level, they will never understand anything that is suicide related. They will make hasty judgements and mean comments and just talk about how selfish these people are.
But in actuality, no one really wants to die, they just want their lives to get better. Sometimes people are very mentally ill and unstable and not thinking clearly, other times they are thinking very clearly and reality is just too much so theydo something drastic toend it all. Some are violent, some are not.
In any event its sad for the person who said goodbye to life and sad for their family and friends.
Some people feel no one loves them and no one will miss them and they suck so much theymay as well end it all. We really don't know what's going through anyones torturous minds. Also there could be people among us who are laughing on the outside and crying in the inside and not telling a single soul because they fear being judged.
What a horrific story.
My heart breaks for everyone who witnessed this, the drivers, and the people who took their lives..
So sad.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:14 AM

23,597 posts, read 17,279,425 times
Default perspective from Sutton family archives

"May 19, 1885
On Monday morning as Mr. David J. Meeker, was crossing the track of the Central railroad at Elizabeth, N.J., to take the train for New York, which was standing there, a freight train going west ran over him and killed him instantly. Mr. Meeker was in his 59th year, and was a well known citizen of the county."

"May 5, 1885
Rosa Peca, a prepossessing young married woman, on Monday was walking on the Pennsylvania Railroad track in Jersey City. The Pittsburg express was dashing into the city from the West, making up lost time. Rosa did not hear it. Engineer J. Maloney saw her on the track but it was too late. The whistle was tooted several times before the woman saw the train. She then had time to step aside, but became paralyzed with fright and remained standing there till the pilot of the engine struck her. She was tossed with frightful force from the track down the embankment to the street, where she fell a quivering mass and soon died."

Many, many more train as well as horse related accidents. By nature, people historically had problems with large, fast moving machines and animals.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:25 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,429,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No one said that pills would be easier. Just that it would be less selfish, as it wouldn't scar for life some innocent person or people who didn't have anything to do with the life of misery & disappointment that led to the suicide.
someone has to discover you when you od on pills (and they most likely don't end up killing you anyways). my point was, there's very few instances where suicide doesn't scar someone else. it's a selfish act. also, despite popular belief, it's not easy to kill yourself with pills. the one poster said something about there's got to be an easier way, and why don't they just swallow pills.

Old 08-07-2010, 02:00 PM

13,410 posts, read 28,766,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
someone has to discover you when you od on pills (and they most likely don't end up killing you anyways). my point was, there's very few instances where suicide doesn't scar someone else. it's a selfish act. also, despite popular belief, it's not easy to kill yourself with pills. the one poster said something about there's got to be an easier way, and why don't they just swallow pills.
I said that but I guess there is no easy way......just hate to see innocent strangers caught up in it....first responders are used to death...some poor engineer or passengers aren't

Old 08-07-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Morons have no sympathy form me , but a few Rail Fanners shot the a video of the Train hitting the girl or whatever. The Head came off , and the body went under. Blood covered the windshield.
Lawdy nexis why would anyone want to film such a gruesome scene...yikes!!

Old 08-07-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
As someone who has been on the verge of suicide myself I can safely say that I never would have considered doing something that would have caused emotional harm to befall anyone else around me. Why should innocent bystanders have to be inconvenienced or even traumatized by my own selfishness? My plan was to poison myself and then dial 911 with my last few breaths so that first responders could remove my corpse before it would begin to cause unpleasantness for my neighbors. I'd also be sure to leave a note for the responders to not feel guilty if they couldn't revive me because my wish would have been to not be revived.

I must say, though, some (most, as a matter of fact) of you in this thread are really cruel. For such an educated and affluent state many of you aren't really sympathetic to those suffering from mental illness, are you? We're not all Gothic outliers who listen to sadistic music to pump us up for a reckless death. I'm actually a suburban middle-class professional. Sometimes even when pursuing help and treatment some people are just too far gone. It's tragic---not "moronic." It's easy for the uneducated to say "just smile, darnit", but for people with severe depression it isn't so simple. People who commit suicide in a public way want the world to experience their pain as they remove themselves from this life. It's very selfish. I agree with that. However, I'd ask for more of you to have a bit more respect. I came very, very close to ending my life earlier this year after enduring some severe emotional trauma, and I am now grateful to be alive. Instead of maligning these people why not urge those around you who seem "unwell" to open up to you or try to get them help?
I tnink we get that.....my point is why traumatize some poor soul you don't even know....

Old 08-07-2010, 02:04 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,882,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Lawdy nexis why would anyone want to film such a gruesome scene...yikes!!
It part of something else , the person just happened to film it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey