Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 08:23 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,874,201 times

Advertisements

Quiet car service on NJ Transit trains expands to Hoboken | NJ.com

Honestly i wouldn't use this , my line is pretty quiet anyway.....so how do some of you feel about this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 10:10 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,420,260 times
sounds like something to spark confrontations. lol.

good idea though, sad that it's even necessary. people have no etiquette in public anymore

Old 05-31-2011, 10:13 AM

88,669 posts, read 84,959,578 times
Most of the time, it is pretty quiet. Occasionally you get the obnoxious person who MUST be attached to their cell phone the entire ride and make sure everyone knows their business. People shush them after a while.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:33 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,031,800 times
Compliance and enforcement on the NJCL from what I've been hearing has been minimal. Still loud mouths blabbing away on their cellphones on the designated cars. Conductors will tell em to quiet down, as soon as they move on to the next car, Johnny Shares-To-Much gets right back to yacking away about his boring life for all to hear. There should be a three strikes and we throw you from a moving train policy.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Compliance and enforcement on the NJCL from what I've been hearing has been minimal. Still loud mouths blabbing away on their cellphones on the designated cars. Conductors will tell em to quiet down, as soon as they move on to the next car, Johnny Shares-To-Much gets right back to yacking away about his boring life for all to hear. There should be a three strikes and we throw you from a moving train policy.
you should make it a point to start taking notes on a loud mouth's conversation. then, when they get off, summarize the key points back to them. helpful if they mention anything personal, like money spent on something, or family members' names.

make people realize how truly retarded it is to share all that information with 60 of your closest strangers....

Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
you should make it a point to start taking notes on a loud mouth's conversation. then, when they get off, summarize the key points back to them. helpful if they mention anything personal, like money spent on something, or family members' names.

make people realize how truly retarded it is to share all that information with 60 of your closest strangers....
Ha, not a bad idea. I'll pass that idea on to my buddies who endure that nonsense.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Ha, not a bad idea. I'll pass that idea on to my buddies who endure that nonsense.
i once heard a girl talking on the phone right after everyone emerged from the PATH in Hoboken. she was walking in front of me, and walking home, i presume. her route was almost the same as mine. i heard about how she used to make xyz, but now, since the company cut salaries to qrs, she amount $x in credit card debt. she went on and on for blocks, talking about coworkers, people who were laid off, etc. i couldn't believe it. i think a lot of people are really just clueless that they are that loud and don't realize they are sharing info with everyone. i know people who don't realize how loud they are when talking on a cell phone in particular. some people think you need to scream into them.

Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
i once heard a girl talking on the phone right after everyone emerged from the PATH in Hoboken. she was walking in front of me, and walking home, i presume. her route was almost the same as mine. i heard about how she used to make xyz, but now, since the company cut salaries to qrs, she amount $x in credit card debt. she went on and on for blocks, talking about coworkers, people who were laid off, etc. i couldn't believe it. i think a lot of people are really just clueless that they are that loud and don't realize they are sharing info with everyone. i know people who don't realize how loud they are when talking on a cell phone in particular. some people think you need to scream into them.
oof, fun... and so considerate of her! I once had to listen to this woman loudly blathering on about all the bedtime activities of her and her many boyfriends and how she's using them to watch her kid when she pretends to go to work and does her thing with other dudes. Granted this was a a weekend and not a quiet car, but man, she went into gnarly detail about things you just don't wanna hear from strangers.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:47 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,236,336 times
Quote:
I was on a train a few weeks ago where they handed the loudmouth over to the police in East Orange... close enough?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 PM

7,057 posts, read 19,328,015 times
Quote:
sounds like something to spark confrontations. lol.

good idea though, sad that it's even necessary. people have no etiquette in public anymore
Ain't that the truth. It never ceases to amaze me that so many people confuse the train for their own living room. The yakking on the phone, eating smelly food, clipping toenails, vomit on weekends. The day I discovered "noise canceling" headphones was one of the greatest days of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey