Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:13 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times

Advertisements

Never ever again
Went into NYC yesterday to see Million Dollar Quartet with 2 friends...my one friend insisted on taking train..I was more then willing to drive
$28.50 round trip from Dover NJ, 15 stops and almost two hours later we made it to Penn Station.....less than a tank of gas...$8 for toll and about $30 to park and we would of been there in less than an hour....The combined $85.50 we paid for 3 fares would of covered gas, tolls and parking.

I don't mind the fare but almost two hours to Penn Station!!!! Unreal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,007 times
You went in off-peak. My preferred method to get into town is to take the path.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:17 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,145,323 times
Did you check the train schedule ahead of time? I'm pretty sure the trip from Dover to Penn is scheduled for about 90 minutes, plus you have to factor in delays. I can't imagine how people commute from that area every day.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:47 AM

88,577 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
Did you check the train schedule ahead of time? I'm pretty sure the trip from Dover to Penn is scheduled for about 90 minutes, plus you have to factor in delays. I can't imagine how people commute from that area every day.
During peak hour on weekdays, there are usually express trains from the longer distances on all the lines that don't stop at every station, but that's not going to happen on weekends.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:51 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
kate - great parking lot near JSQ (across the street) - $8 all day...quick PATH into the city....let me know if you want the info. was in the city last week, cheapest amount I think I ever paid, LOL.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:18 AM

431 posts, read 942,613 times
Take the PATH at journal sq, much faster and cheaper. You DON"T want to drive into NYC, its a pain trust me. My inlaws live on 96th and I have to drive every sunday... sometimes I take a shot of something before i go.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Well , you didn't take a Midtown Direct? You have to merge onto the Northeast Corridor , which Amtrak gets ROW over NJT , the NEC is the busiest Railway in the Western Hampshire. NY Penn is a Dump.....LOL you should have gone to Hoboken and taken the PATH over much faster. It takes me an 1 hr to get to Newark but it takes 2 trains and i always miss my connector. Why are you complaining , should have researched more....... Next time park at Secaucus JCT and take the train in....

Old 06-28-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
kate - great parking lot near JSQ (across the street) - $8 all day...quick PATH into the city....let me know if you want the info. was in the city last week, cheapest amount I think I ever paid, LOL.
YES!!!! Please send to me...TY

Old 06-28-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well , you didn't take a Midtown Direct? You have to merge onto the Northeast Corridor , which Amtrak gets ROW over NJT , the NEC is the busiest Railway in the Western Hampshire. NY Penn is a Dump.....LOL you should have gone to Hoboken and taken the PATH over much faster. It takes me an 1 hr to get to Newark but it takes 2 trains and i always miss my connector. Why are you complaining , should have researched more....... Next time park at Secaucus JCT and take the train in....
Trust me I will NEVER do that again. It was my friend. I usually pre book parking in NYC close to where I will be....I'm going to follow Tahiti's lead & drive to JC and take the path...The Morris/Essex line of NJ Transit stinks...I would NEVER connect in some of those stations and then have to do it again late at night....Secaucus looks like no man's land at night..no thanks....

That will work when I go into visit son and his girlfriend..they live in West Village...path to 9th ST

Old 06-28-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
Take the PATH at journal sq, much faster and cheaper. You DON"T want to drive into NYC, its a pain trust me. My inlaws live on 96th and I have to drive every sunday... sometimes I take a shot of something before i go.
LOL..yes it can be nerve wracking....The PATH from Journal Square sounds good
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey