Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,953,111 times

Advertisements

Can you please stop this thread is old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 03:48 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,242,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Can you please stop this thread is old.
Grump! Be happy there's not an NJT bus thread!
At least this doesn't happen on NJT!
Amtrak train leaves Penn Station for Washington, D.C., without its passengers - NY Daily News
or this (I hope!)
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ain-fares.html

Old 08-04-2014, 05:18 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,013 times

Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,749,013 times
FYI
Fire causes NJ Transit suspension of trains in and out of New York Penn - News 12 New Jersey

Old 08-04-2014, 08:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,218,988 times
Yeah, took me over 3 hours to make it home. NYP->SEC->about 100 feet beyond SEC. Wait there until they open the doors. Grab train to HOB, since no ETA for clearing the bridge. Get on Dover train, packed to the gills. Then ever so slowly to Orange. Conductors kept announcing next stop Secaucus, then Newark Broad, which is almost physically impossible (train would have to go through Waterfront Connection and then go east on the westbound track); you'd think they'd know that. Of course in the meantime they did clear the bridge, so I could have stayed at SEC.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:40 PM

239 posts, read 379,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Yeah, took me over 3 hours to make it home. NYP->SEC->about 100 feet beyond SEC. Wait there until they open the doors. Grab train to HOB, since no ETA for clearing the bridge. Get on Dover train, packed to the gills. Then ever so slowly to Orange. Conductors kept announcing next stop Secaucus, then Newark Broad, which is almost physically impossible (train would have to go through Waterfront Connection and then go east on the westbound track); you'd think they'd know that. Of course in the meantime they did clear the bridge, so I could have stayed at SEC.
Took me 3 hours too. Got to Penn just when they delayed outgoing trains indefinitely. Ran to 33rd to catch Path. Complete cluster**** and no AC on the way to Hoboken. Got to Hoboken and was lucky to get on train to Summit before it got full. The train took forever to get out of the station and then died at Newark Broad. Sat at Newark Broad for 10 minutes until thankfully a Dover train came by (local of course).

The only funny moment was when we were sitting at Newark Broad on the dead train, someone yelled out asking the train crew what was going out. Without missing a beat, another passenger yelled out "Tickets out!" Brought the house down.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:54 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
My original post was over 4 years ago and I assure you have not got on that blasted train in Dover ever since.
My car gets me there much faster

Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
My original post was over 4 years ago and I assure you have not got on that blasted train in Dover ever since.
My car gets me there much faster
Yes, when you go once in a while on the weekend to see a show, your car is faster.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:53 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,983,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnjguy View Post
The only funny moment was when we were sitting at Newark Broad on the dead train, someone yelled out asking the train crew what was going out. Without missing a beat, another passenger yelled out "Tickets out!" Brought the house down.
Classic!

And why do some of the conductors making the announcements over the speakers feel the need to have some sort of shtick? There's a women on the Morris line that has the most annoying little sing-song way of announcing the stops, etc... like nails on a chalkboard.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:03 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I take the train from Princeton junction to NYC regularly. 99% of the time, it's a smooth 1 hour ride with only I one stop in Newark.

However, yesterday was a different story. The for canceled all trains out of Penn station. I didn't waste time. I got car service and made it home in just a little over an hour. I know you never really know when things will return to normal, but I choose to do what is most predictable. Wasting 3 hours would be horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey