Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 03:43 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times

Advertisements

The NEC and NJCL are backed due to that ever-popular euphemism, "trespasser incident". Someone was killed at either Woodbridge or MetroPark. No info as to accidental or suicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 03:58 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,875,846 times
Someone got run over near Metropark....

Old 07-08-2011, 04:07 PM

88,673 posts, read 84,974,162 times
Meant to say backed up--stupid BB won't let me edit.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,368,744 times
Hmmmpf! They got me again, too. Seriously, in the past 10 years I've lived in jersey, I have NEVER seen the train service this screwed up. And it only costs 25% more!!! It seems twice a week, there is SOME reason to suspend service!

Service levels since the last increase have absolutely suckd!!!

Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,175,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
Hmmmpf! They got me again, too. Seriously, in the past 10 years I've lived in jersey, I have NEVER seen the train service this screwed up. And it only costs 25% more!!! It seems twice a week, there is SOME reason to suspend service!

This one isn't their fault.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:18 AM

4,289 posts, read 10,779,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post

Blame the jackass who decided to kill themselves via train and have their last act be ruining thousands of peoples weekends.

Cant blame NJ transit for this.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:57 AM

It wasn't a suicide , a few engineers reporting seeing the girl playing or walking along the tracks.... which for the most part are fenced off....or hard to access.... This incident comes a day after the Long Island Railroad accident involving teens playing on the tracks and got hit by a train..... And a few Subway incidents..... Its disturbing , some of them happening along the same line in one day.... Maybe its time for a education program educating teens on the dangers of playing along Railroads.... There was also an accident involving a Teen trying to beat the train..... Maybe stiffer penalties for those who survive is needed , this region is supposed to 2x its trackage by 2040...but we need to increase our education / safety of trains.... Otherwise will turn into Japan where they have 20 Railway suicides a day in some parts..

Old 07-09-2011, 07:51 AM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,368,744 times
@NJBest & GiantRutgersfan ...Yes, I know, trespasser incidents rarely are "their fault". Doesn't mean something can't be done on their part.

Nexis, yes, maybe time for some educational programs, and increased fines for trespassing that are actually enforced ... prior to "incidents".

Maybe some fencing, intrusion-detection, or other barriers need to be installed or repaired. Maybe more policing of the track areas and arrest of anyone found in sensitive areas? (Remember, the OBL info-trove showed AQ wants to attack rails!) Why aren't trespassers found before they are hit?

And maybe time to change the rules of the subsequent investigations, whereby train service takes precedence. If there was no service disruption, and the body had to lay there, unrespected, until trains were spaced further apart, it might take some of the attraction out of it as a means of suicide.

As society becomes more and more depressing, I imagine suicide is going to become more popular. Maybe we again need to have windows that open in the upper floors of our skyscrapers.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 AM

153 posts, read 249,162 times
I was stuck on one of those trains for many hours. Sympathies to the family of the victim, but what a nightmare! Can't understand why the authorities couldn't move things along any faster knowing that they were holding up thousands of commuters. Tried getting off at Rahway, where we sat for an hour knowing nothing, hoping to get a cab to Metropark where I left my car. Those thieves were charging fares beyond belief, so I got back on the train and waited.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicKaysen View Post
I was stuck on one of those trains for many hours. Sympathies to the family of the victim, but what a nightmare! Can't understand why the authorities couldn't move things along any faster knowing that they were holding up thousands of commuters. Tried getting off at Rahway, where we sat for an hour knowing nothing, hoping to get a cab to Metropark where I left my car. Those thieves were charging fares beyond belief, so I got back on the train and waited.
It was in many pieces , they had to be careful , then investigate....then clean the tracks and inspect the wires.... Then Open 1 track at a time , but by then the Train backlog is long over 100+ trains so it takes time and Amtrak has ROW over NJT. As for them not telling you , that's common throughout North America....there not going to tell you there's a dead person on the tracks....they should however tell you there's an incident on the tracks.... You could have walked from Rahway to Metropark...its not that hard and only 4 miles....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey