Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2021, 07:19 AM

126,288 posts, read 19,066,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
I am also from Bavaria - have family still there Of course Germany starts their celebration on 12/5 if I recall correctly with St Nicholas day. I am not knowledgeable about it, just remember my mom in Germany always had her birthday the following day.
Hello NH2NCMom
St. Nicholas Day on December 6. was always celebrated and the kids were told the night before to put their shoes by the house door.Next morning they were filled with sweets and fruits. Then the Advent season approached and I remember how busy my mother and grandmothers were baking all those treats by hand including Gingerbread houses.My favorite place around this season was in the kitchen watching them and the older I got the more they involved me with their yearly holiday baking.I have been continuing this tradition now for almost 40 years and hope for many more to come.I find the taste of the baked goods is so much better when you knead by hand instead with a machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2021, 11:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Dear GERANIA

HAPPY FEAST OF THE EPIPHANY!!

HAPPY FEAST OF THE 3 KINGS, THE 3 WISE MEN!!

HAPPY 12th NIGHT!!

Please do NOT get disappointed, please keep CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS ALIVE, or else they will be lost forever Ignore the neighbors, and when they ask you about your decorations, you explain that the Christmas Season STARTS on December 25th! Not when Amazon, Macy's, Wal-Mart- the media claims!

Up until December 24th, it is still ADVENT.

The CHRISTMAS SEASON is celebrated around the world
either until Mid January & or up until February 2nd (Candlemas!)

Even the QUEEEN OF ENGLAND keeps her decorations up until then. And she stays at her Christmas Estate until February. When her father died, she extended her stay & decorations until the day that he died (which I believe is Feb. 6th) Originally she kept everything up until CANDLEMAS-Feb. 2nd!

Your Mother is right, it is the RUSSIAN CHRISTMAS, people all over the world CELEBRATE from December 25th-all thru January. Today on the Feast of the EPIPHANY, they have PRARADES, gift exchanges, cakes & huge meals to CELEBRATE when the 3 Kings paid Homage to the BABY JESUS & or THE INFANT KING!
And they are off work, school, etc.!

Please KEEP your FAMILY CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS! Or else they will DIE OFF! I am happy that you still
have your decorations! Thank you!

HAPPY EPIPHANY! HAPPY FEAST OF THE 3 KINGS, THE 3 WISE MEN!! YAY!! CHEERS & BLESSINGS going your way!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKJfMIdOeOc

GALLETTE DES ROIS!! EPIPHANY CAKE! YUM!!
Well, I chalked my door yesterday - 20+C+M+B+21. It was comforting. I also left the Christmas decorations and lights up through yesterday and have been taking them down today. Being from New Orleans, I always decorate for Mardi Gras after Christmas, and then for spring and Easter after Ash Wednesday though it's muted because it's Lent.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:42 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,201,046 times
Thumbs up Thank you for such a LOVELY POST!, ALMRAUSCH!!

Dear ALMRAUSCH!!

Thank you for your lovely post! I wish I could send you HOLIDAY REPUTATION COOKIES ALL DAY LONG! You deserve that & much more!!

And obviously, everything you said is true!

What NH2NCMom
is probably remembering is that the FUN & festivities always start the EVE of, so the
Feast of SAINT NICHOLAS EVE (in a way like CHRISTMAS EVE). So, I'm sure there is commotion & the anxiety/anticipation/waiting/ for the treats that would show up on the ACTUAL FEAST
of Saint NICHOLAS YUM What HAPPY FILLED MEMORIES!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Hello NH2NCMom
St. Nicholas Day on December 6. was always celebrated and the kids were told the night before to put their shoes by the house door. Next morning they were filled with sweets and fruits. Then the Advent season approached and I remember how busy my mother and grandmothers were baking all those treats by hand including Gingerbread houses. My favorite place around this season was in the kitchen watching them and the older I got the more they involved me with their yearly holiday baking. I have been continuing this tradition now for almost 40 years and hope for many more to come. I find the taste of the baked goods is so much better when you knead by hand instead with a machine.
I once received a Bread Machine for Christmas, and my mother rightfully so, was HORRIFIED It does NOT
taste the same. My father used it a couple of times, so he could say that he baked bread But, again, IT
WILL NEVER TASTE like HOME MADE BREAD made with your hands & LOVE

Your loved ones are so BLESSED to have you! And your Mother & Grandmother did an amazing job by teaching you & exposing you to family Holiday traditions, recipes, etc. And of course THE LOVE that you naturally add to it ALL! It is PRICELESS!

Thank you so much!

Old 01-07-2021, 10:46 PM

22,476 posts, read 12,014,567 times
Happy Birthday to Atgss!

Old 01-08-2021, 09:28 AM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,201,046 times
Talking HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR ATGSS!!:):) Many BLESSINGS going your way!!

HELLO MY DEAR COUNTRY PORCH FORUM FRIENDS!!

HELLO NEW HAMPSHIRE FORUM FRIENDS!! HELLO CITY DATA FORUM FRIENDS!!

WE ARE CELEBRATING our DEAR FRIEND "ATGSS' also known in the past as

"NJGUY"
He is having a BIRTHDAY!! YAY!!!Please help us CELEBRATE this wonderful

FRIEND & COUNTRY PORCH MEMBER & LONG TIME CITY DATA POSTER!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJQ...ature=emb_logo

We have an ICE CREAM CAKE from "FRIENDLYS" it is their new PEANUT BUTTER CUP CAKE

We also have a ton of cakes, pies, cookies, desserts, chocolates, drinks!! Please join us!!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU & MANY MORE!!!

Old 01-08-2021, 09:35 AM

126,288 posts, read 19,066,107 times
I stumbled across this thread a while back when I was invited by countrylv22 and I must say it is such a friendly place to visit.I noticed there is another birthday child here,therefore I dropped my apron and oven mitts,in exchange for a winter coat, woolhat, mittens and cross-country skis.Here I am all the way from Canada to wish to Atgss a very happy,healthy and joyous birthday.

And also I like to wish EVERYONE here a peaceful,healthy and better New Year!

Old 01-08-2021, 09:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Quote:
HELLO MY DEAR COUNTRY PORCH FORUM FRIENDS!!

HELLO NEW HAMPSHIRE FORUM FRIENDS!! HELLO CITY DATA FORUM FRIENDS!!

WE ARE CELEBRATING our DEAR FRIEND "ATGSS' also known in the past as

"NJGUY"
He is having a BIRTHDAY!! YAY!!!Please help us CELEBRATE this wonderful

FRIEND & COUNTRY PORCH MEMBER & LONG TIME CITY DATA POSTER!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRJQ...ature=emb_logo

We have an ICE CREAM CAKE from "FRIENDLYS" it is their new PEANUT BUTTER CUP CAKE

We also have a ton of cakes, pies, cookies, desserts, chocolates, drinks!! Please join us!!

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU & MANY MORE!!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ATGSS! May you enjoy many more to come!

Old 01-08-2021, 12:35 PM

10,033 posts, read 15,683,188 times
Happy Birthday, ATGSS!

Old 01-08-2021, 02:45 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,765,643 times
Quote:
WOW! WOW! WOW! WOW!

HELLO SUZETTE!!!

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS

BEAUTIFUL THREAD MY FRIEND!!!!

I am so touched, humbled, full of JOY to see such a

wonderful gesture on your part, and to read all of the other responses as

well!! I am blushing, and I have tears in my eyes!! What an incredible

thing to do!!

You are very sweet kind and thoughtful to

have done this for me!! And I truly do APPRECIATE it from the bottom

of my heart!!!

It has been a real PLEASURE to KNOW you as well!!!

And I am also looking forward to meeting you as well as all of the

wonderful FRIENDS on this NH forum!!! And NEW ENGLAND as well,

since we know that we have people from CT., MA., ME, VT, etc. and of

course from the rest of the country like CALIFORNIA that are planning on

moving to NH SOON!!!

I never thought I would feel so close to people online that I have not met

yet, and that I miss seeing their posts around, when they are away.

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH SUZETTE for ALL of your

KIND words, thoughts, wishes, it really and truly means a lot to me.

And it means so much more to me, knowing that you are not feeling well, yet

you took the time to do this wonderful thing for me!!

I will respond to all of the BEAUTIFUL & LOVELY

messages, as soon as possible, I have been having troubles again with my

computer so I will probably be on & off throughout the day

PLEASE know that what EVERYONE has written means the WORLD to

me!!

TAKE GOOD CARE OF YOURSELF SUZETTE!!

Thank you for everything, for being such a COOL MOD

For CARING & for this AMAZING thread!!

Have a GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!

Sincerely,

Countrylv22
You are so sweeet! Thank you for your support and positivity in these trying times! I second all the posts here about how wonderful you are! The bright spot on CD!

Old 01-08-2021, 02:49 PM

12,052 posts, read 8,436,379 times
Thanks for the invitation, countrylv22. I made a peppermint and chocolate angel food trifle. It's nice and light so everybody can have two helpings.

Peppermint Angel Food Trifle

Happy birthday ATGSS! You may have the first serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire