Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 08:10 AM

81 posts, read 116,818 times

Advertisements

If the demand is where, Conn. & Mass.? Do you think they should be able to use eminent domain to do it? Would Conn. & Mass allow a NH company to use eminent domain in their states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 08:34 AM

Actually, a lot of NH's work depends on play. According to an article I read in the Manchester Union Leader's Sunday News yesterday the White Mountain National Forest gets over 5 million visitors per year. I looked online at www.fs.fed.us, the National Forest Service website and they said 6+ million. Those people spend a lot of money here and provide jobs and work for thousands of people. For comparison, the Grand Canyon gets just 4.4 million, Yosemite in California gets 3.9 million, and Yellowstone a measley 3.6 million and since " you have to pay to play" it woks out well for all of NH, not just the north country. This power line is going to benefit foreign and out of state companies that will provide only a few long term jobs in NH.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,952,660 times
A NH conservative opposing the Capitalist Way? Amazing!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:04 PM

If the "capitalist way" is trading the thousands of jobs that rely on the scenic beauty of our National Forest, the north country, and NH in general for a handful of jobs at a converter station in Franklin, be amazed. What about that eminent domain for foreign and out of state private corporations? Ever read the State Constitution? 12a? Just hogwash?

Old 04-04-2011, 02:41 PM

Greg, How much do they pay you for your unbiased opinion? - or are you just that concerned about the corporate profits of foreign and out of state companies and to heck with the people of NH and their rights?

Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,032,161 times
In the early part of th thread I did mention buried. My trees are not mine, but not in harms way for this idea. But i don't want power lines in scenic places either.

Some of the maps do put the line in very scenic places.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM

Yeah, Mac, buried is the way to go. I've heard different ideas like beside the railroad tracks, highway median or side, under Conn. River, and what about the old right of way that's already there? There's no good reason for those ugly towers when there's so many other options.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:09 AM

41,458 posts, read 59,952,660 times
GH = I am not, unfortunately, paid by anyone for my opinion. I haven't figured how to have my editorials published. Concerning the power line I was making a sarcastic observation on how some of the most pro business "conservatives" change their tune when the iron giants start marching across their landscape. Large transmission lines are always built for the benefit or profits of the few without much concern about the effect on the few locals involved. In many ways this is the heart of financialized capitalism. Benefit the financiers without any concern for anyone else.

I do not much care if they build this line or not. If it facilitates a change from a fuel burning electric system to a nuclear, hydroelectric or wind system I consider it a small price for someone else to pay. BTW - There is a major power line ROW about one mile west of my home in yuppified Londonderry. It crosses Rt 102 next to the incredibly scenic flea market.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:26 AM

Large transmission lines used to be built because that was the only way to move electricity but now that's old technology. There are newer, safer, more logical options that are cost competitve. We have been too willing to settle for the "fast buck Freddie" approach to business without regard to the long term consequences. Maine told Hydro Quebec to keep their power, they are interested in generating their own sources of renewable energy that will provide for a stable future. They aren't anti business or anti capitalism, they're smart and visionary. NY is burying a line twice as long as npass for less $$$$ per mile - no towers, no eminent domain, no public outcry. NH is chopped liver, npass has 12 paid lobbyists to influence 24 NH Senators to vote their way. I won't speculate as to just how they will go about that but I'm sure they aren't just going to drop them an email. If they just did the right thing and buried the line in the right place, there would be no issue but they would rather use the same back door politics that have brought this country to the edge of ruin. Write your State Senators and tell them how you feel about this proposed project. They work for us and we have a right to our opinion even though it may not carry the weight of large campaign contributions or ???? - use your imagination here.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 AM

Greg, I wasn't referring to having your opinions published, I am talking about people who work for the big "consulting companies" and advertising agencies hired by npass to influence public opinion by posting comments posing as ordinary people just being "curious". If NorthernNHVillages is just "curious", I'm the Pope. It's obvious NNHV is "for" the npass and his vague attempt at disguising that is lame. Why would anyone pose as being "neutral" if in fact they were "for" the project except to try and influence others underhandedly instead of directly by just stating their opinion? If these posters aren't paid directly, there's financial gain there somewhere. Maybe they own a concrete company along the route, maybe it's someone from the Steel Construction Union but there's money there somewhere, guaranteed. No ordinary person except the ignorant or uncaring would be "for" this project because it's so far beyond the pale. Who thinks it's OK for a foreign or out of state company to use eminent domain for an unnecessary private business venture? I've seen and heard who has spoken out in favor of this project and it's only those with something to gain. This project has been in the works for years and I'm sure the last election was heavily contributed to and now the favors are being called in. Drop your State Senators an email and let them know we're watching. www.gencourt.state.nh.us/senate/senatemembers.asp

Last edited by Gullible Hick; 04-05-2011 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire