Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

Underground high tension transmission line cost hundreds of times as much as underground lines of the same capacity. This is why underground lines are only used in cities and for crossing waterways too wide to span with overhead wires.

The big transmissions line may be considered ugly by some but I, for one, consider them to have an odd attractiveness with the highly angular towers illustrating truss structure at its simplest contrasted to the graceful catenaries of the suspended wires. Each to his own, I suppose.

In any case I support this project because it will increase the system reliability and provide New England with access to reliable Quebec hydropower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,675 times
Yup the governor is in on the deal,,Normandeau Ass and the director of the fish and game are also smell fishy...Research the Normandeau brothers for an eye full of NH political cronyism...Sportsmen unite for a new fish and game...We can't afford the one we have...They also have a deal with a certain snowmobile club that gets plenty of free money from the federal government....I wonder how many who oppose will show up at the snodeo at Coleman state park with signs and free food or will they be thrown out of the state park ????? Will they wear orange ????You bet they will !!!!!

Old 02-22-2011, 02:52 PM

477 posts, read 899,975 times
^^^^^^^

Care to translate?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:34 PM

40 posts, read 128,645 times
Mac_Muz, this link will take you to a map of the proposed route--both the preferred and alternative.
Maps

One other concern with buried power lines is there susceptibility to soil shifts and, worse case, landslides. Cleanup in such an emergency would be very difficult and time-consuming.

I think someone else also mentioned this, but customer now-a-days get upset with power outages of a few hours . . . imagine the uproar of days or weeks. Overhead lines have their problems too, but they are more accessible when repairs need to be made. I would imagine that regular inspections are easier as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 AM

All of these reasons are why for very high voltage and capacity over head lines are preferred. Air is the least expensive insulator and cooling medium available. Towers and string lines is also less expensive than buried systems.

FWIW - moderate to heavy icing can be mitigated by manipulating what is called the power factor to carry the same power using more current thereby heating the wires. This reduces efficiency but melts the ice. Very high winds are the likeliest source of "natural" damages to transmission lines.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:44 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Well I am not 'into' the know of all of this. I just know what ugly is.

That ice storm in the late 90's that took out all the towers in Montreal, cut out power around me for weeks. Heating the cables didn't save those towers for a fact.

Thanks for the map(s) I have the planned map loading now, and will book mark it.

Note I am not for or against this ............yet either way, just learning.

The map is a larger file and will take a long time to down load. With that said I know many of the towns on the list. many have a line cut through them now, and I wonder if these areas where power lines are already cut can be doubled up on.

I live near a line now that cuts right through Tamworth east to west , visa versa. I guess I will see once the map loads.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:07 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,698,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
This will bring the NIMBY's out of the woodwork trying to stop any progress they dislike.

What is a NIMBY?

Old 02-24-2011, 01:12 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
NIMBY = Im for/all in favor of it .... as long as its "Not In My Back Yard"

Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,522,763 times
** Addressed to anyone that is either a proponent, or on the fence about the issue:

You want electricity, go avail yourself of the plethora of options that solve that problem without any liberty abridgment of others. Go purchase yourself a solar set up, wind power set up, or hydro system, and the necessary grid-tie components to provide you with more electricity such that it satisfies your gluttonous and rapacious appetite for power.

Don't ask other land owners to be the sacrificial lambs who have to "take one for the team" because you want a luxury item which you are fully capable of achieving on your own with none of these negative externalities being foisted on others. You just want to do things the violent way, because you think it is more expedient, and you feel less guilty about that violence when you get an intermediary to act as the proxy who does the dirty work for you, so you don't have to get blood on your hands.

And don't say that you "can't" avail yourself of that solution because you sure as hell can. All these items are readily available to anyone, and you can have them up-and-running at your home within a week or two, without necessitating the boondoggle in the form of a multi-year massive public works project and the negative externalities that goes along with it.

Last edited by FreedomThroughAnarchism; 02-26-2011 at 04:26 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 05:39 AM

All of "those" items do not support the energy needs of a small manufacturing plant or even a good sized communications switch. As far as I am concerned the demand for non fossil power exceeds the individual rights of any and all the objectors. The society, economy and the country need the electric power at a decent price. Changing the scenic view of some billionaire is a very small price to pay for the benefit of everyone else. NIMBY's are a PIA that should be ignored.

Besides I have never heard of any of the Free State individualists ever saying the country should not sacrifice the lives of thousands and the financial future of the country on maintaining the petroleum profits with endless wars in the mid east. I guess the individual sacrifices of the soldiers are necessary but losing a bit of property value is too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire