Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 08:31 AM

477 posts, read 904,082 times

Advertisements

As a note, you will not have your land taken away from you. It would be an easement across your land. Still affects it, obviously, but you still would own the land. Still can be used for hunting, farming,etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM

219 posts, read 369,000 times
Maps of the potential project route can be found by following the link below

The Northern Pass

Old 02-03-2011, 10:46 AM

4,643 posts, read 14,006,216 times
This is where it becomes important for all prospective home-buyers to become well versed in reading deeds and/or be sure that your real estate agent is. There are thousands of homes that are affected by easements. Conservation or otherwise, these easements can be as simple as a next-door neighbor's driveway being a foot on your property to utility company rights to put lines and poles on your property. As NHforester says, your land will not be taken from you, but the utility company has the right to take advantage of their easement. This could result in seriously diminished property value.

I have not had time to read through NrthernNewEnglandVillage's summary, but thought it worth mentioning that even if the land does not currently have an easement, eminent domain can certainly come into play and deeds modified as necessary. If this were the case, the utility company does need to pay the landowners for the right to use the land it needs, and the easement would be a permanent notation on the deed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I ask because we're looking at a house and decent piece of land that possible could be effected, and although I'm no NIMBY, I don't want want parts of my land taken from me via eminent domain(for example) for this, or anything for that matter.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 PM

40 posts, read 128,958 times
I'm surprised this thread hasn't seen more action. So far the reaction from my blog post has been overwhelmingly negative. The poll is registering 92 percent against with only 8 percent for--albeit with 12 votes. The comments have also been very anti-Northern Pass

I've posted a follow-up blog based on a Northern Pass Mailer I recently received in the mail.
Northern Pass Mailer | Northern New England Villages

Overall, the opponents have failed to address what the alternatives are to The Northern Pass. Let's face it, 1,200 megawatts is a lot of power (the equivalent of the Seabrook Nuclear Facility). What other sources can realistically replace that power?

Old 02-08-2011, 05:26 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,085,307 times
The real issue is many such projects really screw a lot of people, abusing eminent domain and taking 'cheaper' shortcuts to increase the bottom line at the cost of people who can't afford better lawyers...

My hope is that such screwing will not occur, property owners will be fairly reimbursed in a reasonable manner, and the towers take a route and are of a design that maximizes safety and minimizes aesthetic damages.

There is no argument that 1200 watts of hydro-power is "bad"...but the company bringing it here needs to do so responsibly. Hopefully this can be a "good" experience and provide a case study for how such projects should be conducted in the future...since so-many other such large scale projects have not been in the past.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,127,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
This is where it becomes important for all prospective home-buyers to become well versed in reading deeds and/or be sure that your real estate agent is. There are thousands of homes that are affected by easements. Conservation or otherwise, these easements can be as simple as a next-door neighbor's driveway being a foot on your property to utility company rights to put lines and poles on your property. As NHforester says, your land will not be taken from you, but the utility company has the right to take advantage of their easement. This could result in seriously diminished property value.

I have not had time to read through NrthernNewEnglandVillage's summary, but thought it worth mentioning that even if the land does not currently have an easement, eminent domain can certainly come into play and deeds modified as necessary. If this were the case, the utility company does need to pay the landowners for the right to use the land it needs, and the easement would be a permanent notation on the deed.

For sure. Good thing my wife is an real estate attorney!!

I totally agree with you though. Out here in Colorado, you don't need an attorney to close on a house, and although I like the option of not needing one, you almost need to be an attorney to decipher the legalese on all the contracts, survey's, etc.

Great post Valerie C. I've read many of your posts, and your contribution to this forum is appreciated.

Hopefully we'll end up in New Hampshire.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:00 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,468,878 times
Very cool video on that site. How about using our own resources for energy here in the US instead of depending on ANY other country? Dependence on any other country for energy is akin to entering into a treaty with another country in that some undesirable sovereignty-reducing compromise is made. With the very real and impending threat to control of the Suez Canal, I can see the desperation which would drive promotion of this but would still prefer we access or create our own energy sources at home. Too bad we are out of time.

Old 02-08-2011, 09:31 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,020,951 times
Considering I once worked for a major Utility that actually built one of these projects I suppose I should give this a thorough look.

Be aware I am biased at increasing the reliable electric power supply by imports and building Seabrook Unit 2, I would also consider retiring the antique plant at Bow a good idea to eliminate an inefficient coal burning source of air pollutants.

These are interesting situations illustrating the rights of individual property holders and the rights of the society to reliable electric power. I believe that it is generally appropriate private property for the needs of the society but not without reasonable compensation. I am opposed to abusing Eminent Domain as illustrated by the taking of a house so private sector developers could build for profit housing in New London Connecticut on the basis that the City would collect more taxes and the developer save money.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:29 PM

40 posts, read 128,958 times
The most frequent objection to the Northern Pass is that the transmission towers will be an eyesore . . . but it doesn't necessarily have to be that way.
Better Towers for Northern Pass | Northern New England Villages

Old 02-11-2011, 05:23 PM

215 posts, read 585,656 times
I'll tell you what NNEVillages why not have the towers in your back yard. Hydro-Quebec can come into this country and tell me and my neighbors that they are going to put a transmission line through my property and if I do not accept their offer they will seize my property by eminent domain. I will fight this as if it were an invading army. Of which it is. The people of the north country have had enough of a beating from loss of the paper mills, Ethan Allan closing, all we have left is tourism. This line will destroy some of the most beautiful vistas the area has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire