Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:16 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,352,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
Huh? Murfreesboro has what is quite possibly the BEST jazz station in the country...and I 've lived in LA and NYC...

pretty big order. what are the call numbers, please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:05 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,912,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
try listening to the numerous radio broadcasting stations in nashville and the surrounding small towns and cities in middle tn. most offer country music or gospel. passing from one side of the state to the other, if listening to the radio, can quickly become a nashville hee haw experience. very unpleasant. you may think it nice to step up from steel guitars, banjos, and cowboy boots to horns, castanets, and bad renditions of happy birthday; however, for me, i would rather listen to the very pleasant NPR.
There are plenty of non-country stations in Nashville.

I usually have it on 92.9, 96.3, or 107.5.

Why all the hate for Nashville, anyways ? I've noticed in several of your posts your dislike for the ville?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:26 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,644,475 times
Quote:
try listening to the numerous radio broadcasting stations in nashville and the surrounding small towns and cities in middle tn. most offer country music or gospel. passing from one side of the state to the other, if listening to the radio, can quickly become a nashville hee haw experience. very unpleasant. you may think it nice to step up from steel guitars, banjos, and cowboy boots to horns, castanets, and bad renditions of happy birthday; however, for me, i would rather listen to the very pleasant NPR.
Maybe if you only listen to AM radio. Your knowledge of Nashville radio stations is extremely limited.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:24 AM

427 posts, read 1,309,767 times
Quote:
pretty big order. what are the call numbers, please?
WMOT. But it may not last much longer because of budget cuts.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM

10 posts, read 14,531 times
Default Stick with your gut!

Well, we went ahead and relocated here even though I didn't have the best feeling. My goodness it has been the worst years of my life. Racism is a major problem in Murfreesboro, TN. We cannot wait to leave. I will never encourage anyone to live or move here. Not only did we encounter some of the most hateful and racist people here, it is incredibly boring. Double whammy!!

However, in the face of all that we encountered, I did learn some lessons that I will remember for a long, long time:

1) Stick with your gut. If something is telling you not to do it - DON'T! Take off the rose-colored glasses that say that everything will work out and be okay.
2) Researching where you plan to move is very important. I had no idea prior to this that moving to the wrong place can have such a huge impact on your quality of life.
3) Make sure that where you are moving is the right fit for your family and your circumstances. A place may be perfect for someone else, but it doesn't mean it will be for you.

These things may sound basic, but when you are actually living the nightmare, you have to go back and see what you missed or ignored.

We spent so much time and money moving here and now we have to do it all over again. The next location will be well researched on-line and with contacts. It will have definite advantages for our family.

Many may disagree with me, but I can say without a tinge of hesitation - If you are an interracial family DO NOT move to Murfreesboro, TN. I am 99.9% sure that you will be sorry you did.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:07 PM

216 posts, read 347,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGem View Post
Well, we went ahead and relocated here even though I didn't have the best feeling. My goodness it has been the worst years of my life. Racism is a major problem in Murfreesboro, TN. We cannot wait to leave. I will never encourage anyone to live or move here. Not only did we encounter some of the most hateful and racist people here, it is incredibly boring. Double whammy!!

However, in the face of all that we encountered, I did learn some lessons that I will remember for a long, long time:

1) Stick with your gut. If something is telling you not to do it - DON'T! Take off the rose-colored glasses that say that everything will work out and be okay.
2) Researching where you plan to move is very important. I had no idea prior to this that moving to the wrong place can have such a huge impact on your quality of life.
3) Make sure that where you are moving is the right fit for your family and your circumstances. A place may be perfect for someone else, but it doesn't mean it will be for you.

These things may sound basic, but when you are actually living the nightmare, you have to go back and see what you missed or ignored.

We spent so much time and money moving here and now we have to do it all over again. The next location will be well researched on-line and with contacts. It will have definite advantages for our family.

Many may disagree with me, but I can say without a tinge of hesitation - If you are an interracial family DO NOT move to Murfreesboro, TN. I am 99.9% sure that you will be sorry you did.
Sorry to hear that. Any examples of the racism you speak of? I've read that IR families fair just fine in Nashville proper. https://www.city-data.com/forum/nashville/1389803-will-interracial-family-black-dad-white.html. What's been happening? Are people flat out laying down slurs or burning crosses in you yard? Believe or not that exact thing went down a few times in the not too distant past up here in Metro Detroit. Very sorry to hear your experience was so horrible you are actually moving because of it. They win if you move, you know. Sounds like you're beyond caring about that though. Sad.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 PM

215 posts, read 683,073 times
Quote:
Racism is a major problem in Murfreesboro, TN. We cannot wait to leave. I will never encourage anyone to live or move here. Not only did we encounter some of the most hateful and racist people here, it is incredibly boring. Double whammy!!
What were those people doing that offended you?
Quote:
How come the other interracial families there aren't disappointed with it?

Last edited by goodman2; 11-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Wanted To Change Something

Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 AM

6,662 posts, read 13,362,249 times
Quote:
I'm sorry you've had such a bad experience here. I do wonder if you could elaborate about your racism comment a little bit, though. Although racism can be found in any city (whether it be the overt or underlying variety), I have never heard anyone describe Murfreesboro in particular as having a major problem with racism.

I'm not saying I don't believe you -- but you use pretty harsh terms to describe a city that most people I know who live there generally like. Perhaps I'm missing something.

As for the boring comment -- there's plenty to do right up the road in Nashville. Most people who live in the burbs realize that the majority of the entertainment options are in the city.

Quote:

Gut feelings/intuition are never things you should ignore completely...but at the same time, it's important to remain somewhat open-minded. Every place you move is going to be different from the last. If you expect a place to meet certain expectations you have, you're already setting yourself up for failure. Going with your gut 100% can sometimes make you miss a good opportunity.

Quote:

Researching any big decision is always sound advice.

One thing I would like to add as advice, though...

I noticed that after you posted this thread, you didn't respond. In fact, there were no other posts related to your potential move here. You asked a question, and got a number of responses, then the thread kind of took on a life of its own. I don't know if you did other research outside of this post here on city-data...but I think it would be prudent to engage in more active discussion as you plan to make your next move.

Don't just start a thread with a simple question...be specific. Tell the other posters what your wants and needs are. You might find the right city for you...but what about the right location within that city? Murfreesboro might have been a terrible choice for you...but perhaps if you had located elsewhere around Nashville, you might have had a completely different experience.

I don't mean to sound overly critical or condescending. I truly feel bad that you have had a negative experience here...but perhaps that could've been avoided if you had investigated more thoroughly.

Quote:

Best of luck to you in your next search.

Quote:
Again, I wish you would elaborate on some of your experiences. This sort of comes out of left field for me. I know some interracial families around town (but not in Murfreesboro), and none of them have expressed that they have had the same sort of problems that you have had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville