Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:47 PM

48 posts, read 160,773 times

Advertisements

I think Nashville in general is a friendly town. BUT and this is a big but, I find people have gotten so caught up in cell phone conversations, or being late, or whatever trivial thing is on their mind that they do lose their manners some. Nashville is no different. I am a greeter, door holder, let you in my lane kind of gal and I say I get a 50/50 shot of getting it reciprocated around here. The one thing about Nashville is that in general it's really diverse so I have made some wonderful friendships that really would be difficult to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 PM

297 posts, read 1,080,152 times
I find that while people from Nashville are generally friendly, they get offended very easily. People are quite sensitive, and if you say the wrong thing or disagree with their views, they will quickly turn on you. I also find that this town has a bad case of road rage.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:41 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,342,101 times
Wow...I am so glad to hear someone else say this (the sensitivity thing). It's been my biggest obstacle with my southern coworkers. We're a team of 14 and the 5 or 6 native southerners are so touchy and can't take a joke or even just roll with a difference of opinion in a business situation without getting all "Well i don't know if my feelings are hurt or not!" Puhleeze.
The rest of us can just laugh or agree to disagree.

But I don't see the road rage...this area seems better than a lot of other places IMO.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:08 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,555,717 times
You guys are really hurting my feelings saying that all of us Southerners are touchy. I mean gosh, why do you have to be so mean?

Old 03-06-2009, 07:48 AM

43 posts, read 305,686 times
We native southerners are just tired of being picked on by people who aren't from here. Wouldn't you get tired of all the "aw, shucks, I don't know nuttin" kind of stereotypes if you were from here? Feel free to learn some sensitivity and learn more about us... I tend to think sensitivity's a good thing rather than a bad one.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,727 times
nowt wrong with tn marra and thats coming from an englishman mind with a vested intrest LOL

We native southerners are just tired of being picked on by people who aren't from here. Wouldn't you get tired of all the "aw, shucks, I don't know nuttin" kind of stereotypes if you were from here? Feel free to learn some sensitivity and learn more about us... I tend to think sensitivity's a good thing rather than a bad one.

why should you be picked on lil oll me jus loves your state im jus ganning doon the offie fer a gauge like

i might be a geordie (look it up) by birth dont mean i can't change yawll

Last edited by Beretta; 03-07-2009 at 03:25 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 02:27 PM

32 posts, read 167,522 times
Nashville might just be the place for me; im getting sick of southern california.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:34 PM

7 posts, read 19,705 times
For anyone who is reading old posts. I was a flight attendant for 9 years. I have lived and travel to many places. No matter were you are you will find rude people. I've recently moved to the Nashville area and find the people to be very curtious. Murfreesboro is a heavley populated area with people from many different areas of the country. Tennesseans in general are super friendly folks! If you are leaving you hometown and family that may take a bit of working through. Dorthy, "there is no place like home."

Last edited by smile34; 05-01-2009 at 05:43 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 3,631 times
I myself had moved from Michigan to Tennessee 2 years ago. I moved to Antioch, (near bell rd i-24..) Bad mistake...well now i moved from there and have been in the La Vergne area. All my business is done in Smyrna, and I consider the people there extremely friendly. Since a lot of people in South Nashville are "transplants" like me, you do get ignorant people, but most I find are nice, and friendly.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:04 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,910,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimGem View Post
We are planned to relocate to Nashville area soon. My husband was born and raised and we really want a change and he has always wanted to be back in TN. My question is, is the Nashville area (specifically Smyrna and Murfreesboro) considered friendly?

When I visited there last week, I was surprised to find that when I passed two people (on 2 separate occasions) in the hotel and said hello, nothing was said back. It may be stereotypical to think that South=friendly, but I wanted to see if this was normal.
very unusual. These are the nicest people I have ever encountered. Even shopgirls hug you if they see you in the store twice!

This is true in Murfreesboro/ Lascassas...kids say ma'am and are respectful. Everyone says hello on the street.

I think hotel people are on guard as they should be..too many scam artists around preying on the vulnerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville