Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:55 AM

597 posts, read 2,109,950 times

Advertisements

Yeah, the "hug thing." For me, it's nothing, but I have to remind myself to not automatically assume that someone wants a hug. If they're not from around here, probably don't. Maybe they have nothing against hugging, but in the non-south, it may seem initially like an attack. I'd hate to get maced for hugging someone, but nowadays, with so many folks from other places, I think twice before going on the "I love you and you love me" offensive so many of us can be quite guilty of. Know your hugee, I say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 11:24 AM

451 posts, read 1,372,744 times
I like hugs

Old 05-06-2009, 05:30 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,835,075 times
Murfreesboro and Smyrna are getting like the rest of the state. Too many of the out of state people moving in and bringing their attitudes and customs. But that is happening all over the U.S.
The area is still one of the last ones I'd live in around Nashville as far as the people,land,entertainment and jobs. It's just growing so fast and new people moving in.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:19 AM

43 posts, read 149,420 times
Nashville is very friendly people move here and stay here look at the retired Titans players

Old 05-14-2009, 08:44 PM

6 posts, read 24,325 times
Default Friendly but not genuine

I think that on the surface niceties are used but I find that is rather fake and people unless from here and have family are hard to get to know. I am in my late twenties, female and have yet to make any genuine friendships. I have lived other places and have never had any problems making friends. It is even harder actually meeting other girls, they do not seem to want to make new friends out of there comfort zone. The only friends I have made are with guys or with people that are transplants also, it is not very fun to be in a situation like that.......

Last edited by lillian3; 05-14-2009 at 08:54 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 10:29 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,633,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lillian3 View Post
I think that on the surface niceties are used but I find that is rather fake and people unless from here and have family are hard to get to know. I am in my late twenties, female and have yet to make any genuine friendships. I have lived other places and have never had any problems making friends. It is even harder actually meeting other girls, they do not seem to want to make new friends out of there comfort zone. The only friends I have made are with guys or with people that are transplants also, it is not very fun to be in a situation like that.......
Why do you find it necessary to gain the friendship specifically of "locals"? Friends are friends no matter if they are local or transplants. That's how I looked at it when I moved here in 94 and I think my attitude paid off.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Why do you find it necessary to gain the friendship specifically of "locals"? Friends are friends no matter if they are local or transplants. That's how I looked at it when I moved here in 94 and I think my attitude paid off.
I agree very much it seems like when I am out the only people again except for men that want to strike up a convo and are more outgoing happen to be from somewhere else, that could mean Memphis etc... I am just stating facts the women I have met here that were from Nashville were cold maybe they were just jealous. I have lived in larger cities where people were liberal almost too for me but still friendly. So many churches but sooo much crime. I am just observing and I find a lot of hyprocrisy. Nashville has been ranked number 6 in the top ten for depression, I am very intuitive and there are a lot of lonely people here alot more than any other city I have lived in, they just do not know how to express it so they become repressed, maybe that is why the crime rate is so high. To me the downtown is a big cluster of police and drunken people coming here to party because of the music. The music here is top notch but one cannot live on music alone......people are generally mean when they are repressed or unhappy or both. I have never seen so many women smoking, another sign of not being happy. I have not even met that many transplants. Maybe the fact that the people that have moved outside of their comfort zone and taken a chance somewhere else makes automaticly more outgoing. Good for you that you enjoy it here. It is nice when people enjoy their surroundings. I just think Nashville needs more recreation other than the music or people are going to be unhappy when they are unhealthy. I did not enjoy LA because I thought it was a little too liberal for me but now I am starting to understand that just because one is surrounded by churches does not mean that the people are going to be more friendly, that was naive on my behalf.

Last edited by lillian3; 05-14-2009 at 11:40 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 11:33 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,633,436 times
Quote:
I agree very much it seems like when I am out the only people again except for men that want to strike up a convo and are more outgoing happen to be from somewhere else, that could mean Memphis etc... I am just stating facts the women I have met here that were from Nashville were cold maybe they were just jealous. I have lived in larger cities where people were liberal almost too for me but still friendly. So many churches but sooo much crime. I am just observing and I find a lot of hyprocrisy. Nashville has been ranked number 6 in the top ten for depression, I am very intuitive and there are more lonely people here than any other city I have lived in, they just do not know how to express it so they become repressed, maybe that is why the crime rate is so high. To me the downtown is a big cluster of police and drunken people coming here to party because of the music. The music here is top notch but one cannot live on music alone......people are generally mean when they are repressed or unhappy or both. I have never seen so many women smoking, another sign of not being happy. I have barely met any transplants as people say they are everywhere which is not true. Sorry just venting. Good for you that you enjoy it here. It is nice when people enjoy their surroundings. All the Best to everyone we all need it.......
When you speak of downtown, you are generally seeing tourists, not Nashville area natives or even transplants for that matter. Smoking a sign of not being happy? I never heard that one before. Transplants ARE everywhere, so if it is only you who can't seem to find them, you are obviously doing something wrong. Also, Nashville is much more than music, which now leads me to question whether or not you even live in Nashville if you don't know that.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
When you speak of downtown, you are generally seeing tourists, not Nashville area natives or even transplants for that matter. Smoking a sign of not being happy? I never heard that one before. Transplants ARE everywhere, so if it is only you who can't seem to find them, you are obviously doing something wrong. Also, Nashville is much more than music, which now leads me to question whether or not you even live in Nashville if you don't know that.
People are allowed to have various opinions. For me I will visit some other cities in TN because it is a beautiful state. I hope I am helping anyone my age that is thinking about relocating here and this forum is for opinions. If you are an outgoing smart person that is looking to try somewhere new and do not mind the heat, Austin is a great place, the people are hip and nice and open minded. They have churches but do not dominate the whole city and there is a lot of recreation. And yes smoking cigarettes is a sign of stress, healthy people do not smoke, maybe there should be some sidewalks or bike paths in Nashville. I hear they are trying to revamp the riverfront now that is a good idea. More excersize less smoking and drinking.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
People are allowed to have various opinions. For me I will visit some other cities in TN because it is a beautiful state. I hope I am helping anyone my age that is thinking about relocating here and this forum is for opinions. If you are an outgoing smart person that is looking to try somewhere new and do not mind the heat, Austin is a great place, the people are hip and nice and open minded. They have churches but do not dominate the whole city and there is a lot of recreation. And yes smoking cigarettes is a sign of stress, healthy people do not smoke, maybe there should be some sidewalks or bike paths in Nashville. I hear they are trying to revamp the riverfront now that is a good idea. More excersize less smoking and drinking.
And actually the tourists are the nice ones. A lot of people coming here come as musicians, writers etc.... everyone wants to make it. What are the tourists coming here for duh... the Country Music, definately not the recreation. Visit and maybe check out some other parts on TN.....There should be a recreational outlet for people in every city or they get bored and that brings on bad situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville