Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 08:17 AM

13 posts, read 39,908 times

Advertisements

I agree TNtime, the Dickson "armpit" comment was out of line. I live in Dickson and it's far from being an "armpit." I'm sick and tired of all the Williamson County elitist attitudes. Williamson County isn't all it's cracked up to be, there are plenty of other areas around Nashville that are great to live in as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:48 AM

2 posts, read 7,359 times
My family is from Williamson County, and many of my folks still live around Arno and Franklin with roots going as far back as the 1850's or earlier, so needless to say all the property is paid for but the tax burden is through the roof (probably nothing compared to California's). And Dickson is still not as bad as Williamson County, but in the past 20 years the percentages have nearly doubled on all city and county-imposed taxes. The people here, on the whole, are NOT wealthy and wages here are low so a high tax burden is not in the recipe for financial success. Yet all the folks moving in here can't stand the lack of 'progress', even though it's that very lack of progress (a.k.a. quaintness) that lured them in the first place. Hence the population boom, urban sprawl and congestion AND higher taxes that result from those things.
I am not anti-progress, but I do take note (and offense) when somebody calls my community an 'armpit', be it out of ignorance or arrogance. If it is such an armpit, why do so many folks come here to live? (Dickson grew roughly 20% in 20 years, well above the national average).

Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 PM

43 posts, read 146,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
This is why I appreciate surrounding areas that have resisted this nonsense. I'm sorry, but creating more 0.19 acre lot subdivisions just makes your area an armpit. Or at least it will as those homes age. There's no individuality, no personality, no room for even sprucing your space up. You don't even get the variety of urban bungalows and sidewalks intermixed with stores or retail sections. You just get deforestation and a permanent clutter of houses that all look the same.

Move there if you will. Just don't expect the things that drew you there to remain for long if the developers get ahold of it. They have a habit or wrecking a landscape around here and usually without the inclusion of park space or open areas.

I realize this is a bumped old thread, but it's worth stating after that bump.
I was assured that lot sizes in Fairview will never be smaller than 1/2 acres and the number and size of subdivisions are restricted too. They're looking at a small shopping area around the center of town but looking for manufacturing-type companies to come in - no big Walmarts or anything. We didn't move here because we like to live in the country. We moved here because they city's growing and it was a great opportunity to get in while housing is still cheap. Just being honest.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:30 PM

No news on that. On the plans, they show a drugstore. Maybe that's changed?

Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM

Actually, I only just saw that and I think I took offense to someone else saying Fairview was an armpit. I said it tongue in cheek as I had never been to Dickson. Now I know where it is and the people are actually very nice there. Oh, and there are a LOT more businesses, restaurants, and things to do with the family there than in Fairview!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,830 times
we are getting a publix. but no walmart. sorry!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:33 PM

1 posts, read 2,033 times
We do have a publix and city is talking about walmart coming in, also a mapco and taco bell. We are growing but still small town. I work downtown Nashville, not a bad drive. Love it here...Crime is very small, my son is a cop here. School system is great...

Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 PM

627 posts, read 1,847,656 times
Why are you bumping a 4 year old post?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:03 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,001,650 times
Looks like it's her first post, so she probably didn't notice the date. I did that once when I was new and got pretty embarrassed. The old posts come up in Google searches, though.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:01 PM

12 posts, read 18,821 times
Publix is there ,.... and Walmart is coming.. according to my friend who lives in Fairview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville