Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 AM

362 posts, read 646,682 times

Advertisements

I was told traditionally it takes about a month to close on a home in Tennessee.
My question, if a home is vacant, like a newly built home, does that time line still apply or can it go quicker?
Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2014, 07:54 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,285,315 times
I prequalified for a loan with a bank here in TN so when I found my house, everything was done except for the bank to come to appraise the house, etc.... Here in TN, we had to fill in all the financial information so when you prequalified, you were approved already. I know when I lived back in the north, the prequalification didn't mean a heck of a lot.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:04 AM

838 posts, read 1,212,990 times
Closing times can vary quite a bit depending on several factors. If the home is vacant and you're paying with cash, it can be done in a few days. If your bank is on top of everything and you've done a fair amount of your due diligence up front, it can get out of underwriting in a couple of weeks, if not less. In general, there are always issues that come up - inspection, contract changes based on the inspection, something needing clarification, questions about your credit, the property survey, lots of factors can and will affect it. The better prepared you are to address the issues that come up and the speed with which you do address them will certainly help a closing go more quickly. In general though, it seems to take about a month. I've purchased three homes and sold two. No matter how prepared I was and how much work I did up front to make sure there were no questions or complications, it almost always seems to take about a month...

Old 02-08-2014, 08:12 AM

374 posts, read 694,454 times

Valerie June - Tennessee Time - YouTube

Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM

764 posts, read 2,552,287 times
In 2012 hubby and I tore down our old house and built a new one on the same land. The construction loan was in our name - not the builder's - and we already owned the previous house/land outright. We moved in last January but had a few things to finish up before getting the final CO. When we were ready to refinance the const. loan to a perm. mortgage a couple of months later, closing still took about a month to execute, even though we were going thru the same bank that held the construction loan and we were already occupying the house. Underwriting and the final appraisal were the bottlenecks as we had all our documentation in order from the start and didn't have to provide anything additional.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:28 PM

5 posts, read 11,869 times
It just depends on your loan, or if you are paying cash closing can be quicker, less than 10 days. I happen to a realtor, so each transaction is different.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM

362 posts, read 646,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sway1 View Post
It just depends on your loan, or if you are paying cash closing can be quicker, less than 10 days. I happen to a realtor, so each transaction is different.
WhAt if you are putting down 50% (don't really feel like blowing all our free cash on home, besides can write off interest in balance loan. I want cash for an inground pool

Old 02-12-2014, 05:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,425,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
I was told traditionally it takes about a month to close on a home in Tennessee.
My question, if a home is vacant, like a newly built home, does that time line still apply or can it go quicker?
Thank you in advance
I started the mortgage process in January of last year. After all of the documents were in, it still took about two weeks for the underwriting approval.

We closed in mid - April.

We were already living in the house before the official closing. As you can't talk to the underwriter, it's really put of your hands on time.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:17 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,739,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi shots View Post
WhAt if you are putting down 50% (don't really feel like blowing all our free cash on home, besides can write off interest in balance loan. I want cash for an inground pool
The fastest we've ever closed on a house with a mortgage was 3 weeks. But part of the timing depends on the seller also. If the seller has a mortgage, or esp. multiple mortgages, it can take longer for the closing attorney to get all the payoff information.

We've done a couple of cash closings in less than a week.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM

107 posts, read 186,653 times
A month is about average with a mortgage involved even with a significant down payment. The bank is still going to have to go through all the same steps regardless of your equity. If you found a local bank that planned on keeping the mortgage in-house you might get it pushed through quicker. It would likely require your personal friendship with some of the banking staff to get this done. I know of a local bank that has offered to do this for me on occasion, but it's probably not your typical transaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville