Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2009, 10:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,565 times

Advertisements

After spending the past 4 days looking at tons of homes I am stuck between East Nashville, Sylvan Park, and Belmont/Green Hills. (Our range is 350-400).

East Nashville is just not there for me yet (please don't bash me for being a "snob"), although I am excited by how much you get for your money. I am excited about the investment potential in the long run there.

Green hills seems a little too suburban, although we found a couple of cuter, older homes. I don't know if we are getting anything near a "deal" though.

Sylvan Park also seems a bit overpriced and I wasn't super impressed with any one home.

My question to you Nashvillians is, where would you put the money?

Thanks in advance,
Nava
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
Did you look in the 12South area (east of Belmont Hillsboro)? Not as pricey as Green Hills and definitely not suburban. However, of the areas you listed, I would go with Belmont/Green Hills. Great area, and the house prices have held their value during the downturn.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:32 AM

43 posts, read 150,122 times
Out of the three areas you have selected the first choice should be the Belmont/Green Hills area. You are right East Nashville is not there yet it is still a little weeding out left to do. But East Nashville has the brightest future with all the great things they have done over there.

Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 13,576 times
I would suggest you to put the investment business to rest and look for a home and neighborhood you want to live in.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:32 PM

317 posts, read 1,235,177 times
Even though based on your comments, it sounds like Belmont or Green Hills would be a good fit for you...I consider those two separate areas. They really do have totally different vibes. The Hillsboro Village/Belmont/Vandy areas (which can be expanded to include the 12 South area too) are all walkable areas (one of only a few in Middle TN) to much of what is around there between and around the campuses of Vanderbilt and Belmont. It's a true urban area in the center of one of the most popular areas of town for all types of people both that live there and those who do not (you may hear it called Midtown). It's also extremely convenient to the Downtown area. Tons of local merchants bringing that local flavor to the area.

The other area you mention, Green Hills, is also a popular area. You must drive anywhere you go there though, and the traffic is crazy. It's crazy in Hillsboro Village/Belmont areas also, but when your only option is to drive...it makes it worse. Green Hills is what I like to call "suburban urban". You might have a larger lot there, garages, a mall with some corporate stores in the area as well as some local flavor. It's not a true suburb...it's still very close to the center of the city and has urban elements. Green Hills, is also a very popular area for people to visit who do not live in the area.

Either of those areas are great areas, but they are a bit different from each other. So it's just a matter of finding what fits best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville