Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 11:01 AM

7 posts, read 67,498 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a home that was recently flooded in a 100 year flood, and in an AE Flood Zone is this a bad idea? Or is resale going to be ok in the future once the stigma has worn off?

Home has never been flooded until the May floods. Home is move in ready and in our initial offer we got them to leave ALL appliances which are new, including the washer/dryer & they are paying closing. There was only 2 inches of water in the actual house the rest obviously was in the crawl space but was all renovated. We are concerned that we will not be able to sell it in the future as it has been on the market for about 2 months and we are the first and only offer. Any advice is helpful!!

This is the link to the property. (sorry don't know how to imbed)

2136]2136 RIVERWAY DRIVE, Old Hickory TN 37138, MLS #1267839, Weichert.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 11:52 AM

126 posts, read 326,903 times
If a home is in the flood plane it will require flood insurance ( your lender will require it ) it is expensive and can be a turn off for potential buyers. If it continues to flood during heavy rain the possible problems will be structural and mold. Have you had a home inspection done? If not please do..I can't stress this enough. This will reveal any hidden problems the home may have due to water intrusion. It is likely that the home will continue to have water intrusion although not to the severity we had last May..but then we never thought that would happen either..best of luck to you.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:06 PM

228 posts, read 528,461 times
It’s a tough call on the potential for a stigmatized property. Right now, if it flooded, it’s stigmatized.

My feeling is that this may continue to be the case for a few more years. The week after the 2010 May flood, I spoke with a panel of agents in Ohio that had seen similar flooding a decade earlier. The most surprising information that they shared? The property values in areas that had flooded were indistinguishable from similar properties that did not receive damage just 4 or 5 years later. It somehow doesn’t seem logical to me one year later in Nashville, but that’s what happened in their market.

If you have similar choices without flood damage (which I know is harder than many people believe in such a competitive price range), I’d still go in that direction, but if you feel there is strong value for the money and you’ll be there several years…

Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlp206 View Post
If a home is in the flood plane it will require flood insurance ( your lender will require it ) it is expensive and can be a turn off for potential buyers. If it continues to flood during heavy rain the possible problems will be structural and mold. Have you had a home inspection done? If not please do..I can't stress this enough. This will reveal any hidden problems the home may have due to water intrusion. It is likely that the home will continue to have water intrusion although not to the severity we had last May..but then we never thought that would happen either..best of luck to you.
Yea the turn off of flood insurance could be a big factor for potential buyers like u said ....The HOA requires that everybody in the neighborhood have flood insurance. I got a quote from my insurance company and without having them install flood vents my premium would be much higher than if I were to have the current owners install them. We have put the offer on hold right now so no home inspection yet but it is definitely #1 on our list! We visited the property after a few days of rain and there wasn't any standing water that we could see so I think that is a good sign as far as mold etc.....Thanks!!

Old 05-12-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin south of Nashville View Post
It’s a tough call on the potential for a stigmatized property. Right now, if it flooded, it’s stigmatized.

My feeling is that this may continue to be the case for a few more years. The week after the 2010 May flood, I spoke with a panel of agents in Ohio that had seen similar flooding a decade earlier. The most surprising information that they shared? The property values in areas that had flooded were indistinguishable from similar properties that did not receive damage just 4 or 5 years later. It somehow doesn’t seem logical to me one year later in Nashville, but that’s what happened in their market.

If you have similar choices without flood damage (which I know is harder than many people believe in such a competitive price range), I’d still go in that direction, but if you feel there is strong value for the money and you’ll be there several years…
Wow that's crazy about that Ohio property values! I had never heard of that and I have been doing some research on the effect it might have so that's something interesting to hear!......Unfortunately all of our choices besides one other property that we just looked at, which is much smaller but NOT in a flood zone, have all been sold or we have been outbid on them but, yea if we are to come across other options I think the consistency is that we should go for those regardless of how much we like this one.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
If you look at it on the map, it is on a riverbend. That is the only thing that makes me nervous. A 100-year flood plain is different than a thousand-year flood plain, too.

We live on a flood plain and are required to buy flood insurance. But somehow we didn't flood last May. Flood insurance IS expensive, and being in a flood plain limits what additional construction you can do to the house. It is a dealbreaker for many home buyers for a reason.

I would think long and hard about it. And have a really excellent inspector, not to try and get a brand-new house out of it but just to check that any water damage was taken care of.

Old 05-14-2011, 06:58 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle0587 View Post
I am considering buying a home that was recently flooded in a 100 year flood, and in an AE Flood Zone is this a bad idea? Or is resale going to be ok in the future once the stigma has worn off?

Home has never been flooded until the May floods. Home is move in ready and in our initial offer we got them to leave ALL appliances which are new, including the washer/dryer & they are paying closing. There was only 2 inches of water in the actual house the rest obviously was in the crawl space but was all renovated. We are concerned that we will not be able to sell it in the future as it has been on the market for about 2 months and we are the first and only offer. Any advice is helpful!!

This is the link to the property. (sorry don't know how to imbed)

2136]2136 RIVERWAY DRIVE, Old Hickory TN 37138, MLS #1267839, Weichert.com

Old 05-14-2011, 09:57 AM

3,828 posts, read 8,468,665 times
The only advice I'll offer is are you the kind of person that is prone to worry? Personally, I am. And if I lived in a 100 year flood plain and a few days of hard rain (a la May 1, 2010) came along, I'd be extremely nervous every time. That's just me. I prefer not to live in an area where I'm going to worry about things like that. But if you are not a worry-wort, and get all the necessary insurance, inspections, etc, then that's a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville