Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 06:39 PM

388 posts, read 1,017,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
What I have found:

Rent - expensive! I'm paying more and getting half the square footage. At least it is brand new.
You said you were from SF. I can't fathom this. Impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2012, 06:47 PM

749 posts, read 1,790,250 times
When we first moved to Tn; we rented an apartment at Canyon Ridge in Hermitage. The square foot was 983. 2 bedroom 2 bath on second floor. Our rent was $1100.00 a month. Crime started getting bad there so we found a condo that was 900 sq ft 2 bedrooms 1 bath with one partial bath. A sink and commode. We were paying $875 for that. Our electric bill for the apartment averaged around $ 225.00 a month. The condo electric was around $ 200.00 a month and gas averaged around $ 75.00 to $100.00 a month. Our water at both places ran us around $60.00 a month. No outside sprinklers. That is just what my husband and I used. I saw where you were looking at Hermitage. It's alright. It's hit and miss but there are some nice areas. Again; please do your homework. Hope this helps. Also our sales tax there was 9.25% and the food tax was 7.75%.

Last edited by BlueyedCat; 07-11-2012 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: added

Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Things to consider when comparing cost of living:

if you have kids and how many.

if they attend public or private school.

if you have multiple car notes.

if you have multiple drivers to insure.

if your job is not in the same county as the house you buy/apartment you rent.

if you max out your rent/mortgage potential.

what you like to do for recreation.

if you cook or if you eat out.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM

4,347 posts, read 4,725,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0'Farrell View Post
You said you were from SF. I can't fathom this. Impossible.
I could show you my cancelled checks.

SF: $850/month
NV: $1,210/month

I've gotten rid of about 40% of my stuff and still can't fit everything into the apt. I went from (? not sure of sq. feet) but 6 rooms + storage room to less than 800 sq. feet and basically 3 rooms + balcony.

Sure, if I wanted to buy, it would be cheaper. Or if I wanted to live in the burbs (but then driving costs would go up). Even the relo woman I worked with highly cautioned against buying the first 6 months, if not 12 months, unless you know the area and were sure of where you wanted to live for the next x years. That's not me.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:27 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,815 times
We moved here from Boston.

We got twice as much house for less $$$ and more upscale address.
Private school was $17k/yr cheaper than what we were paying for a similar school in Boston.
We had to buy another car, but our car insurance dropped significantly even after we added the 2nd car.
Eating out is cheaper. Instead of $33/entrees more like $27/entrees here.
Property taxes are the same.
Income tax--we save about $20k/yr on state income taxes and definitely don't spend that on sales tax.

More expensive things include healthcare (but that's more a function of having our employer in Boston pay 100% of our premiums for family coverage and $2/$5 co-pays vs having a more traditional type plan with employees paying a portion and $20 co-pays). Flights out to Europe are no longer direct and are significantly more expensive.

Some things are the same. Our housekeeper costs about the same. Clothes, cost the same, etc.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM

28 posts, read 63,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Things to consider when comparing cost of living:

if you have kids and how many.

if they attend public or private school.

if you have multiple car notes.

if you have multiple drivers to insure.

if your job is not in the same county as the house you buy/apartment you rent.

if you max out your rent/mortgage potential.

what you like to do for recreation.

if you cook or if you eat out.
We have 4 kids
Public school
Cars paid off
2 drivers
We have always been very thrifty
We love to cook but might eat out occasionaly.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:44 PM

28 posts, read 63,018 times
Sorry, my phone is inserting weird autocorrects!

Old 07-11-2012, 08:06 PM

2,428 posts, read 5,549,815 times
We moved here from Boston.

We got twice as much house for less $$$ and more upscale address.
Private school was $17k/yr cheaper than what we were paying for a similar school in Boston.
We had to buy another car, but our car insurance dropped significantly even after we added the 2nd car.
Eating out is cheaper. Instead of $33/entrees more like $27/entrees here.
Property taxes are the same.
Income tax--we save about $20k/yr on state income taxes and definitely don't spend that on sales tax.

More expensive things include healthcare (but that's more a function of having our employer in Boston pay 100% of our premiums for family coverage and $2/$5 co-pays vs having a more traditional type plan with employees paying a portion and $20 co-pays). Flights out

Old 07-11-2012, 08:25 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Cal View Post
I could show you my cancelled checks.

SF: $850/month
NV: $1,210/month

I've gotten rid of about 40% of my stuff and still can't fit everything into the apt. I went from (? not sure of sq. feet) but 6 rooms + storage room to less than 800 sq. feet and basically 3 rooms + balcony.

Sure, if I wanted to buy, it would be cheaper. Or if I wanted to live in the burbs (but then driving costs would go up). Even the relo woman I worked with highly cautioned against buying the first 6 months, if not 12 months, unless you know the area and were sure of where you wanted to live for the next x years. That's not me.

I think you are forgetting to add the point of rent control in SF if you have lived in that place for a long time.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:27 PM

722 posts, read 2,101,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmiscellanea View Post
Unfortunately, not really. He plays bass and used to wrestle but I can't get him to pin anything down.

I have looked at houses (online) in the following areas:
Hermitage, Chapel Hill, Mt Juliet & Hendersonville.
With my main concerns being schools & crime- what would you folks say about those areas?

Thanks again for all this help!
I can recommend Hendersonville and others will give Mt Juliet the thumbs up. Hermitage is ok but is in the Nashville school system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville