Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:58 AM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times

Advertisements

this list includes most of the songs i would have chosen. and some that i wouldnt, but it is a good, varied list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
any late '80s/early '90s west coast gangsta rap:
n.w.a. (especially their album "straight outta compton"), dr. dre (especially his album "the chronic"), snoop dogg, eazy e, ice cube, etc.

"california love" and "to live and die in LA" by tupac.

anytime i've gotten off the plane at LAX, i get a kick out of playing "LAX" by snoop dogg, "going back to cali" by the notorious b.i.g., "going back to cali" by LL Cool J, or "i left my wallet in el segundo" by a tribe called quest.

anything by the doors, especially "LA Woman".

"born in east LA" by cheech and chong. "low rider" by war.

the entire "pulp fiction" soundtrack:
that movie is quintessentially LA, and the excellent (and diverse) soundtrack always brings to mind certain scenes in the film, which take place in various locations around the city/region (hollywood, the valley, a diner in hawthorne, etc).

"free fallin" by tom petty.

"under the bridge" by red hot chili peppers.

"carmelita" by warren zevon.

anything by the beach boys and jan & dean. classic surfing and hot rod music.

anything by guns n roses (especially their album "appetite for destruction"), poison, motley crue, LA guns, etc.

"valley girl" by frank zappa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:09 PM

11 posts, read 34,388 times
Red Hot Chilli Peppers- Californication
2pac & Dr. Dre- California Love
Tony Bennet- I Left My Heart in San Francisco
Dianne Warwick- Do You Know the Way To San Jose

Old 04-21-2009, 01:52 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Oingo Boingo
Frank Zappa, especially of his songs that mention specific places: "Camarillo Brillo," Just Another Band from L.A.," "Valley Girl," "Dog Breath," etc.
Tom Petty
Virtually all Beach Boys songs
Jackson Browne
The Eagles
plus a few movie soundtracks, like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "Grease."

Old 04-22-2009, 10:07 AM

11 posts, read 34,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Oingo Boingo
Frank Zappa, especially of his songs that mention specific places: "Camarillo Brillo," Just Another Band from L.A.," "Valley Girl," "Dog Breath," etc.
Tom Petty
Virtually all Beach Boys songs
Jackson Browne
The Eagles
plus a few movie soundtracks, like "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" and "Grease."

Yeah, pretty much all Beach Boys songs

Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
I can't remember the title, it was a classic Circle Jerks song, from the heyday of 80s SoCal punk. It goes like this: Beverly Hills, Century City Everything's so nice and pretty. All the people look the same, don't they know they're so d@#$# lame? Three pc suits, spandex pants, cowboy boots. I just don't know what I'm gonna do, I don't know what I'm gonna do, maybe I'll have to move ... from, BH, Century City ... Ah, memories of cruising down Santa Monica blasting that one out the windows ... LOL!

Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I can't remember the title, it was a classic Circle Jerks song, from the heyday of 80s SoCal punk. It goes like this: Beverly Hills, Century City Everything's so nice and pretty. All the people look the same, don't they know they're so d@#$# lame? Three pc suits, spandex pants, cowboy boots. I just don't know what I'm gonna do, I don't know what I'm gonna do, maybe I'll have to move ... from, BH, Century City ... Ah, memories of cruising down Santa Monica blasting that one out the windows ... LOL!
Yes. I remember those days. Florentine Gardens, Godzillas, Madam Wongs, Black Flag and Fear at Devonshire Downs. Lots of fun.

YouTube - Circle Jerks - Beverly Hills & Wasted

Last edited by Charles; 04-22-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 04-22-2009, 06:58 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
It's called, heh, "Beverly Hills".

Ah, someone else caught it quicker.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

YouTube - Black Flag White Minority

Old 04-22-2009, 07:08 PM

28 posts, read 47,320 times
"City of Angels" by The Rippingtons.

Look it up if you've never heard it.

Old 04-22-2009, 07:09 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Yes. I remember those days. Florentine Gardens, Godzillas, Madam Wongs, Black Flag and Fear at Devonshire Downs. Lots of fun.

YouTube - Circle Jerks - Beverly Hills & Wasted

YouTube - Black Flag White Minority
In retrospect, the lyrics to "White Minority" sound like a CityData post!

And your post of West LA's own Circle Jerks conjured up some memories of a band of Valley kids who were their contemporaries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3bUKKlF41Q

"Manny Moe and Jack" was actually a top 10 hit in Great Britain, and NOBODY there could figure out what it's about, there being no Pep Boys in the UK (people actually thought it was about JFK )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2UWzhm3YPE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music