Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times

Advertisements

Not terribly prone to shedding a tear over a song, but the ones that get me the closest are:

Pogues, "A Rainy Night in Soho"

Stan Rogers, "The Idiot"

Aim, "The Girl Who Fell Through The Ice"

Beatles, "A Day in the Life"

Dixie Chicks, "Travelin' Soldier" (even though I generally can't stand them)

Jeff Buckley, "Last Goodbye"

Del Amitri, "Kiss This Thing Goodbye"

Joy Division, "Love Will Tear Us Apart" (probably wouldn't be nearly as tear-jerking were Ian Curtis not such a tragic figure)

Just about anything by Nick Drake

Jellyfish, "Russian Hill" (pretty Nick Drake-esque in its own right)

Temple of Low Men, "Melt"

Grant Lee Buffalo, "Truly Truly"

Dream Academy, "Life in a Northern Town" (go ahead and make fun of me.)

Pixies, "The Happening" (never really figured out why, and reading the lyrics alone won't do it justice if you're not familiar with the song)

Vince Guaraldi Trio, "Linus and Lucy," aka the Charlie Brown Theme Song (nothing really sad about it, it's just a simple little tune that packs a giant punch -- a truly moving piece)

The Church, "A New Season" (yet another song that pulls at me because of the musical impact rather than anything "sad" about the lyrics)

And particularly, Altan's rendition of "A Nobleman's Wedding"

Wow, this is a long list. I guess I'm a weenie.

Last edited by Drover; 05-29-2007 at 03:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 03:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,317,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
SLEEPWALK by Santo and Johnny

No connection to any person, place, or event. Just the magic of the music.
Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that it's practically used as a funeral dirge in the movie "La Bamba," to quite startling effect...

Old 05-29-2007, 03:32 AM

356 posts, read 1,180,622 times
Seasons in the Sun,

Same Auld Lang Syne,

Roses for Mama, CW McCall
if this don't bring tears nothing will

Down from Dover, Dolly Parton

Ragged Old Flag, Johnny Cash

Johnny don't be a Hero,

Who will Hold His Hand in Heaven?

Country Bumpkin,

Lyrics On Demand - Song Lyrics, Lyrics of Songs, Free Lyrics, Free Song Lyrics, Rap Lyrics, Country Lyrics, Hip Hop Lyrics, Rock Lyrics, Country Music Lyrics, Music Lyrics

Old 05-30-2007, 11:00 AM

536 posts, read 1,194,455 times
for some reason when i hear "living years" by mike and the mechanics i have a tendency to tear up

Old 05-30-2007, 09:08 PM

10,250 posts, read 15,966,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Now that Memorial Day is upon us, I think it is appropriate to mention a few that emphasize the ultimate sacrifice made by our men and women in uniform.

These ones always bring me to tears when I hear them:

Arlington - Trace Adkins
The 8th of November - Big and Rich
Some Gave All - Billy Ray Cyrus
I wasn't sure if I wanted to include "Arlington" during my all-country list.
The lyrics did say "Don't cry for me". A sadder song is "The Other Little Soldier" by Josh Gracin.....saddest ever.

Then of course there's Christmas Shoes and Alyssa Lies and Concrete Angel.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:52 PM

47 posts, read 50,869 times
Once upon a time..

"Kiss of Life", "The Sweetest Gift" - Sade
"Wicked Game" - Chris Isaak

"Independence Day" - Bruce Springsteen
"Fast Car" - Tracy Chapman (so..?)
"This Used to be My Playground" - Madonna

"You're Innocent When You Dream" - Tom Waits

The kind of song that hits you when you're not expecting it, like when you are shopping for groceries, or eating in a tacky restaurant out of town.

Last edited by filmfan; 05-31-2007 at 10:07 PM..

Old 06-02-2007, 09:19 AM

32,621 posts, read 77,707,208 times
"Broken" by Seether/Amy Lee. My ex-boyfriend loved this song, and it seemed to always come on when we were driving around together. Whenever I hear it, I immediately tear up to think about losing him. I didn't fully-appreciate the song until he was gone.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:16 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,121,956 times
"God's Will" by Martina McBride is a sweet song....heard it yesterday and got sniffly!

Old 06-04-2007, 12:02 PM

10,250 posts, read 15,966,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
"God's Will" by Martina McBride is a sweet song....heard it yesterday and got sniffly!
Yeah that's a very poignant song. Martina's new CD "Waking Up Laughing" is filled with really inspiring but yet emotional music. The video for "Anyway" really left an impression on me.

Some of Taylor Swift's stuff is actually really sad like ".. thankign God you weren't here to see me like that, but in a box beneath my bed is a letter that you never read 3 summers back...." You can really feel the pain in her voice in that song, which is titled "Tim McGraw" and also in "Cold as You".

I still have to mention "I Wonder" by Kellie Pickler and "Come Home Soon" by SHeDAISY.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:09 PM

143 posts, read 577,814 times
Default Pearl Jams Last Kiss

I am a 47 year old and when I hear Pearl Jams last Kiss have have to wipe a tear or two I know I know us guys have to be macho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music