Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:01 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,060,998 times

Advertisements

Inspired by Mainebrokerman:
Quote:
any SONGS make anyone teary-eyed??

oh where oh where can my baby be?? the lord took her away from me..
this song ,,swells me up, everytime i hear it, i can relate closely to the lyrics,,(in real life)
(last kiss,,,j frank wilson)

also another corny song,,,was,,,seasons in the sun by terry jacks,,(1974 i believe) a few versus in that song,,,hits home,,,,
"goodbye papa, please pray for me, i was the blacksheep of the family, you tried to teach me right from wrong, too much wine and too much song,,,wonder how i got along,,,

and ,,another auld lang syme (sp) by dan folgelberg, that hits home,,the lyrics,
"i said the years had been a friend to her, and her eyes are still as blue, but in those eyes, i couldnt tell, if it was doubt, or gratitude.
she said she married herslef an architec, who kept her warm and safe and dry.. and she would have said she loved the man,,,but she didnt want to lie.

also, "if you could read my mind" by gordon lightfoot....
Songs that can make me tear up:

Have A Little Faith In Me
by John Hiatt~~this was in the movie Benny and Joon, but I didn't know this till I watched it
Just a snippet:
And when your backs against the wall
Just turn around and you will see
I will catch, I will catch your fall baby
Just have a little faith in me

Keep Me In Your Heart For Awhile
by Warren Zevon
WZ was/is one of my favorite musicians, his loss was a hard one for me, and hearing this song, (written when he knew he was dying) for the first time was almost too much to bear, but the thing is--like the rest of his work, it is strong, meaningful songwriting.
Snippet:
Hold me in your thoughts, take me to your dreams
Touch me as I fall into view
When the winter comes keep the fires lit
And I will be right next to you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 05:22 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
saving knickels saving dimes,,work until the sun dont shine, looking forward to happier times,,,on blue bayou, im going back somedayyyy come what may to blue bayou, where the fishing boats, with there sails afloat, and i can only see, a familiar sunrise, with sleepy eyes, how happy, id be,,,,(linda ronstat)

my favorite country song.......ten years ago, on a cold dark night, there was someone killed beneath the town hall light, tho there few at the scene, they had all agreed, that the slayer that ran, looked a lot like me,,,the judge said son what is your alliby, if you were somewhere else, then you wont have to die,,,i spoke not a word, tho it meant my life,,,for i had been in the arms, of my best friends wife,,,she walks these hills, in a long black veillll she visits my grave, when the north wind wails,,,,,,(lefty bruzzell, johnny cash, long black veil)

Old 03-12-2007, 05:39 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,803,776 times
Faded Love - Patsy Cline

Old 03-12-2007, 08:04 PM

569 posts, read 1,230,257 times
Amazing Grace and Taps at a Law Enforcement funeral.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:20 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,403,961 times
I can't think of any songs that move me to tears, although Amazing Grace just due to it's connotation always comes close (especially when it's bagpipes for some reason). The song "Travelin' Soldier" by the Dixie Chicks however is one that just stuck out in my head right now as being really sad and the sort of song that if I were in a down mood, might make the tears come. It's not just the lyrics and the mental imagery they conjure but also the general starkness and tone of the song.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:39 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,774,059 times
The sinead o'connor version of Nothing Compares to U ... reminds me of my youthful heartbreak days. Watching the video too.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 PM

185 posts, read 253,888 times
Great topic-

Every time I hear John Lennon's "Jealous Guy".

Don't know why, just brings tears to my eyes. And yes I cry I don't just tear up.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:06 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,416,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbeard5 View Post
Amazing Grace and Taps at a Law Enforcement funeral.
definately....

I would add "proud to be a American" and the National Anthem....

on a personal note the day my Doberman died,I was devastated,at the vet the remake of "I will always love you" by Whitney Houston originally by Dolly Parton came on while the were prepping my deceased dog...whenever I hear it that just brings me back to that moment.

Old 03-15-2007, 05:04 AM

19,972 posts, read 30,281,618 times
another one, that makes me swell up is

Back at home a young wife waits
Her Green Beret has met his fate
He has died for those oppressed
Leaving her his last request

Put silver wings on my son's chest
Make him one of America's best
He'll be a man they'll test one day
Have him win the Green Beret.

"the green beret" (saddler)

Old 03-15-2007, 12:50 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,913,151 times
Eric Clapton-Tears in Heaven

Sara McLachlan-I Will Remember You & Angel

Nazareth-Love Hurts

Elton John-Daniel

Amazing Grace...

Funny how music can bring you back to a time and place. I can recall music my parents played often...Righteous Bros...Unchained Melody...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music