Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 06:10 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,100,288 times

Advertisements

band you would most like to see, but will never get the chance.

I am young so I missed many of the good ones in their prime but

U2-saw them twice, they are great live

Would really have liked to have seen The Grateful Dead with Jerry, and also Pink Floyd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 06:27 PM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Saw the Dead with Tom Petty and Bob Dylan back in 86.

First concert was pretty good; Heart, George Thorogood, and the Stones 1981, Folsom Field-Boulder Colorado.

Deep Purple! Eric Clapton with Phil Collins on drums. The Kinks (Joan Jett was the warm-up and she got booed off the stage! and the stage was Red Rocks). AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, ZZ Top, Journey and Loverboy (Yeah I know I know-hey, there were chicks there, Man!)--on several occasions!!, 38 Special, Dio, Aerosmith, Robert Cray (awesome!), Kansas, Neil Young with Jin Blossoms opening (OMG! Awesome!), Allman Brothers, Jimmy Buffet (during my Rum days!), Blues Traveler, James Dickey Band, Eddie Money, Jon Bon Jovi (eh, I was with friends in Florida. Somethin' to do, ya know?), Cheap Trick and REO Speedwagon and whoever (Adams county Fairgrounds), KISS (actually a very good show), Engvay Malmsteen (don't care to look up the spelling, not a bad show), ummm. That's all I can think of for now.

Oh yeah. I saw Brian Adams like 5 times but only because he was like the warm-up band for every concert I went to in 83-84. Cuts like a knife, feels so stupid!

It's a wonder I have any brain cells left.

Old 04-25-2008, 06:32 PM

1,278 posts, read 4,100,288 times
lol...those are some great ones! Clapton with Phil Collins on drums what a treat! Phil Collins is underrated

Old 04-25-2008, 06:39 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,650,631 times
Best concert...was Bob Seger in Tampa, Florida. I had always been a huge fan and we were on vacation in Florida. We heard the commercial on the radio for the concert. We had spent the day site-seeing etc. were all hot and sweaty, but my husband says..let's just go there and see what happens. We got there early and found a kid selling tickets for the show..10th row. right in front of the stage!!!! The best thing was..he was selling them at face value!! it was great!

Old 04-25-2008, 07:04 PM

7,065 posts, read 3,106,752 times
Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band in Los Angeles, CA. Saw them twice then saw Bruce when he was solo in Colorado. He is definately better with the E Street Band.

I would love to see Pink Floyd. And George Thorogood (if he is still around.)

Old 04-25-2008, 07:28 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
I was always a die hard Genesis fan. Not the new pop Genesis but the old stuff with Peter Gabrial and Steve Hackett. The good ol days when Genesis invented the 2 drummers in a band idea. Chester Thomson and Phil Colins doing a 15 minute drum solo in harmony at every show.

Back in those days all bands would play for 3-4 days at the same arena before moving on to the next city. We would buy tickets for all 3-4 shows in a row. Same show but if something is great then hey......why not?

Same thing with Jethro Tull. Every time they came to MSG we would buy tickets for all 4 shows 4 days in a row.

Im an old concert hound. I saved every single concert ticket from every show I went to for more then 35 years now. I never counted them but I think I hit a thousand as of now.

My best show? 1976 in Rockland County Community College NY where we saw Genesis do a 3:15 hour show. It was general admission. Wow what a high energy audience.

Loudest? Foghat, Scorpions or Def Leppard was quite loud too.

Worst? Neil Young

Best? Genesis, Journey, Grassroots, Reba, Motels, Kansas, REO, Scorpions, CSNY, Renaissance, Judy Collins, Carol king, Rush, Blondie, Cars, Tull, Meatloaf (dont laugh, he put on quite a show), Cheap Trick, Boston, Three Dog Night, Ramones, are among my best memorable concerts.

Who do I wish I would have seen but never did? Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd and Fleetwood Mac.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:19 PM

18,026 posts, read 27,475,785 times
Post # 43 on this page is why I so thoroughly enjoyed Neil Young.

The concert that we went to rocked! There wasn't any acoustical guitar, no megaphones, or some of the creepy stuff that he sometimes does. No politics; just straight-up hard rock for about 2 1/2 hours.

I would have liked to have seen Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC with Bon Scott, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Bob Seger of course, Tommy Bolin, The Who, ...

Old 04-25-2008, 09:39 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times
It was a great show as I was there as well! The album Live Rust came out around November of '79. Although it is not credited, a portion of that show was recorded and taped at McNichols Arena in Denver as the concert there was about the same time a year earlier. It was an awesome event with the first 30 minutes acoustic(Sugar Mountain,Comes A Time, I Am A Child, and others), Huge motorized cockroaches spinning on the stage, road eyes a la Star Wars characters wiring up the electric set that Neil and Crazy Horse was serving up later. Lots of Woodstock soundbytes inbetween (Please get off those towers, we don't need any more weight on them!). Band comes out with a kick@#& version of When You Dance I Can Really Love asnd a bevy of old line classics. Clocks in at 3 hours 15 minutes(I wrote the time on the back of my ticket stub, I remember). I'm not one to buy conbert T-shirts(I'm 6'7"), but I bought a yellow T-shirt with red suspenders, which is the T-shirt Neil wore that night. I still have it. AN incredible, incredible night!!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:41 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Post # 43 on this page is why I so thoroughly enjoyed Neil Young.

The concert that we went to rocked! There wasn't any acoustical guitar, no megaphones, or some of the creepy stuff that he sometimes does. No politics; just straight-up hard rock for about 2 1/2 hours.

I would have liked to have seen Jimi Hendrix, AC/DC with Bon Scott, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Bob Seger of course, Tommy Bolin, The Who, ...
Then I will explain my claim. Dont get wrong. I love the guys music but he is a jerk off stage. But we all got mad because he did every single song from his new album......I cant remember........1978 or so. He did not one familiar song. This new album was barely released so no one knew it. He played the entire album not skipping a song. But did nothing else.

The fans cryed out all his best songs hoping to hear them. He would not have any part of it. People pay good money to hear songs they love sung by their bands. Not a bunch of flip side flops that no one knows. It was also just about and hour and 20 minutes in the day when 2 hour shows were the considered short.

Fast forward to 2004 and Neil did rock the house when all 4 CSN&Y hit the stage. He got a 5 minute standing ovation for his new version of Rockin in the Free World.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,868,606 times
That was probably the 1983 transformer Man tour. Neil, admittedly would get on tangents at times and the concerts that promoted his new releases were as, uh, curious(being kind), as the new album releases themselves. Neil was in a state of what I call Spasmosis at that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music