Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post

You know, it's beyond ridiculous that people don't want to "look for" new music. They're already on this forum, and people post new music here all the time. The new music is right in front of their face, being handed right to them, and yet they still say it's too hard. I don't get it. How could it possibly get any easier?
Yep, never been easier.
I wonder how much is an interest in new music vs new music that sounds just like old music.

Agree, there are a few posters here dedicated to sharing new music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Yep, never been easier.
I wonder how much is an interest in new music vs new music that sounds just like old music.

Agree, there are a few posters here dedicated to sharing new music.
I think that has a lot to do with it. It's pretty typical for people to not like musical styles that are newer than what they were into during their high school or college years. It probably wouldn't be unfair to call me old fashioned in that I have a strong preference for music that uses basically the same instrumentation that rock and pop bands have been using for 60+ years. I don't like electronic music or most rap, but I manage to find tons of new music every year that I think is fantastic.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I actually like pop music from today except for Beyonce, OneDirection, Beiber, Rihanna and Arianna Grande (though she can sing her ass off, she just oversings fir the R&B pop she does.) I would say the main issue is the labels look for the singles and not for the full album of great songs like you could have seen in the 60, 70, 80 and even 90. Now it is about selling the digital downloads of singles, not the album. Even metal and punk don't exactly have great beginning to end albums too. I think Saint of Los Angeles was quite possibly the last great album and that is now six years old this year.

Old 02-19-2014, 02:37 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Lots of garbage mixed in with the good stuff on that list.
I liked about 20 of those 30 songs. With a current top 30, I would find it hard to like 1 song!

Even the "garbage" songs back then are better than 99% of the new stuff! (IMO)
And many agree with me; not just those my age. Read youtube comments of songs from this era from 13-25-year-old people. Some typical comments: "Why can't they make music like this anymore." (Regarding the song "Listen to the Music"): "Listen to the real music." "I am only 14 years old and love this music." Etc., etc.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:43 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post

Even the "garbage" songs back then are better than 99% of the new stuff! (IMO)
I agree that the music charts had better music back then than it does now. Most of the songs that hit the charts now is pretty pathetic. However, the main point I and others are making is that the good current music (which there is definitely no shortage of) is not on the charts, and usually doesn't get played on the radio except for some college stations and NPR shows. So it's a false equivalency to use the top sellers from the 1960s/70s/80s as a comparison to current music.

Last edited by JPD; 02-19-2014 at 07:34 AM..

Old 02-19-2014, 07:31 AM

166 posts, read 278,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
The current state of popular music is in a word: appalling. A few more words: bland, boring, mindless, uncreative, uninspired, unimaginative, derivative, repetitive. Think of the great composer/musicians of the past, Johnny Mercer, Jerome Kern, George & Ira Gershwin, Duke Ellington, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Rogers/Hammerstein, Stephen Sondheim, Hank Williams, Chuck Berry, Brian Holland – Lamont Dozier – Edward Holland (great Motown composers), Jr., Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Bob Dylan, Carol King, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Jackson Browne, James Taylor, Elton John, Paul Simon, Pete Seeger, Bob Marley, etc, etc, etc. From the 20s to the 50s you had the great jazz explosion. From the 50s to the 70s you had another explosion of musical creativity: the "British Invasion", Folk, Motown, Reggae, countless high quality rock & roll bands.

What do we have today? A musical wasteland. Interchangeable loud, talent-free "artists" like Justin Beiber, Beyonce, Bruno Mars, Miley Cyrus, etc, etc, etc, and of course endless obnoxious, vulgar, one note, no talent rap "artists" who would never stoop to actually learning to play a musical instrument. How many times can you repackage YO YO YO, F F F, N N N?

So the question is: When did music fall off a cliff and how did we get to the sorry state we have today? My guess is musicians figured out they don't really need to work too hard or have much talent, or write intelligent lyrics or come up with an original melody. You can make a fortune just by being loud and flashy and stupid people will buy just about anything you run up the flagpole just to be au currant.

Okay, Beyonce isn't talent less because she can actually sing and she's actually started writing recently, although the direction she's been going in recent years is more of the yucky side. Bruno Mars can actually sing to and is a really good composer. But other than that, I can see where you come from (not really, but still ).

Old 02-19-2014, 05:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by criedman101 View Post
Okay, Beyonce isn't talent less because she can actually sing and she's actually started writing recently, although the direction she's been going in recent years is more of the yucky side. Bruno Mars can actually sing to and is a really good composer. But other than that, I can see where you come from (not really, but still ).
Bruno Mars is good, Beyonce isn't. Beyonce is much more of a dancer than a singer. Can she sing, yes but she over-sings way too much. I don't get why people want to hear over-sing songs like they do now.

Old 02-20-2014, 01:51 PM
JPD

I just discovered a new (new to me, anyway) musician (Angel Olsen) I really like without even trying. It popped up on my FB page when I clicked on a link to something I was trying to watch.

It's so easy.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:12 AM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
It's easy to get trapped in Good Ole Days Syndrome, but people forget that among the music THEY loved way back when, was a bunch of packaged bubblegum Product that pandered to the idiot masses.

Go to a record store. Listen to local or college radio - or, if you have country tastes, flip it over to the AM dial.

I just discovered an amazing band called The National tonight, and they've been around for years. My fault for getting into a rut and not seeking out new and different stuff.

Seriously, this is the first time I've ever heard this band, and I'm enthralled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3qS7hKoOR4

Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Go to a record store. Listen to local or college radio - or, if you have country tastes, flip it over to the AM dial.
Good ideas.

Or if you have a facebook page, go to some of the pages for bands you like and "like" that page. As a result of that, you'll end up getting links to other music you might like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music