Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:22 PM

479 posts, read 1,443,425 times

Advertisements

I have to say that I like the shift that popular music is taking these days. Maybe is just me, but music is starting to sound similar to what was going on in my favorite music years of the 80's and early 90's before Gangsta/Ghetto Hip Hop and 'kill my self' grunge rock took dominance in the 90's. Todays music sounds more uplifting, danceable and just fun. I am enjoying some of the new videos as well. Just look at the top songs on the top 100 Billboard chart. I think people were fed up with the dreary and negative 90's. Do some of you still wish that what was going on in the 90's to the mid 2000's music scene stay the same in people's taste? Or like me, were you tired of the music taste back then? And I am not a teenager by the way but I like some of these new pop and rock songs, even some of the new R&B and Rap songs. It is more listenable. Also hopefully the fashion keeps changing and kids can again pull their pants up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 04:41 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,348,425 times
Grunge was okay, but it did get tiresome. They wanted to change the "pop rock" scene they hated so much and they did. Nirvana and Alice in Chains are classic, but I'm not real sad their era is over. Then again, there is worse music out there.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:54 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,954,669 times
Most of what gets played on corporate radio still sucks, Nickelback, Linkin' Park, Fall Out Boy, Panic At The Disco, Incubus, etc. Most of the new stuff I thought was good never made it on the FM airwaves and I only know of it through woxy.com or Sirius XMU (formerly Left Of Center) bands like TV On The Radio, My Morning Jacket, Fleet Foxes, The Black Keys, Portishead, Wolf Parade, British Sea Power, The Whip, Sigur Ros, M83, Cut Copy, MGMT, The Helio Sequence, The Features, Deerhunter, Catfish Haven, Ladytron, The Futureheads, Okkervil River, Bound Stems, Of Montreal, Blonde Redhead, The Dears, Bon Iver, The National, The Arcade Fire, Cold War Kids, and other independent releases. A lot of people my age claim music isn't as good today as it was in the 70s, but they have only been exposed to a tiny fraction of what is out now.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,675,048 times
Mekitor Im wondering where you get that idea from? I wish and pray you be right but I doubt it. Music still seems to be sinking deeper and deeper into uselessness. Even if something new came out with any talent what radio station would ever play it, promote it, talk about it?

Them pulling their pants up is the least of their worries. You can fit 9 grown adults into those pants they wear today as well as conceal 13 semi automatic weapon in them without detection. Then when they open their mouth? Or worse yet when they try to play an instrument? Oh sorry they dont even use instruments today.

I fear music will never come back. It was such a part of our lives before the 90s. I like your taste in 80s rock too but I just dont see any change in 2008 or 9 coming.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:14 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,147,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Grunge was okay, but it did get tiresome. They wanted to change the "pop rock" scene they hated so much and they did. Nirvana and Alice in Chains are classic, but I'm not real sad their era is over. Then again, there is worse music out there.
Those bands got popular because they built a fan base from people who didn't like radio rock (hair bands at the time). The bands themselves really weren't looking to kill popular music...those two in particular seemed uncomfortable with crossing into the mainstream arena.
However, when record companies saw the potential for money, then they started churning out copy cat bands. Then it started to suck, because the artistic integrity was gone.
I'm not a big fan of the grunge scene & no expert, but it's not a new story. That happens to a lot of music scenes that start "underground". They grow until the mainstream cannot help but notice, then the media tries to beat every dollar out of it until every is sick of that style.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:43 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,134,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Mekitor Im wondering where you get that idea from? I wish and pray you be right but I doubt it. Music still seems to be sinking deeper and deeper into uselessness. Even if something new came out with any talent what radio station would ever play it, promote it, talk about it?

Them pulling their pants up is the least of their worries. You can fit 9 grown adults into those pants they wear today as well as conceal 13 semi automatic weapon in them without detection. Then when they open their mouth? Or worse yet when they try to play an instrument? Oh sorry they dont even use instruments today.

I fear music will never come back. It was such a part of our lives before the 90s. I like your taste in 80s rock too but I just dont see any change in 2008 or 9 coming.
I DON'T AGREE----we music affecionados are exposed to so much more than we were in the 60's,70's etc---through more media exposure i am able to enjoy music from latin america,france,italy,etc-----
in our country some performers are going back to more instrumental and vocal genres such as queen latifah who started out doing rap---

commercial radio may sometimes be lacking,but thanks to the internet we have more musical exposure

Old 01-30-2009, 07:22 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by returningtonepa??? View Post
I DON'T AGREE----we music affecionados are exposed to so much more than we were in the 60's,70's etc---through more media exposure i am able to enjoy music from latin america,france,italy,etc-----
in our country some performers are going back to more instrumental and vocal genres such as queen latifah who started out doing rap---

commercial radio may sometimes be lacking,but thanks to the internet we have more musical exposure
YES--well said.
And woxyroxme, I like your taste in music.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:42 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,769,679 times
Im hoping with internet and other means we will see the corporate influence die!
Its ruined Radio and Music in general.
Of course if there was no demand for garbage they wouldnt sell it.
If it wasnt for 16-22 year old's Rap would die a slow death.
Theres some pretty good music out there most of it not at the top of the charts..

Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,518,175 times
Not liking it too much. I wont lie, though. There are about 2 songs from Nickelback and 3 Doors Down that I like.

As far as other groups that I like that are currently out, they arent really that popular.
Old Crow Medicine Show, OAR, Kings Of Leon, a couple White Stripes songs.

90% of the music I like and listen to regularly has been playing for at least 10-15 years (and usually 30 years ago)

Old 01-30-2009, 10:16 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,973,142 times
I think this is the absolute worst time ever for popular music. A contributing factor is that Disney owns or has heavy influence on a lot of whats on TV and radio which is why you see so much of the awful awful awful awful awful Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift types.

The art of making music has almost become extinct. To actually find true "musicians" you have to look to new jazz artists now. No one will ever mistake anyone in Jonas Brothers, Fallout Boy, Incubus, etc for being good musicians. Too much corporate sponsored, teen marketed music looking for profits instead of promoting art.

There have been a few very good bands recently and one that comes to mind is "Rage Against the Machine" who made great music and their guitar player is a TRUE guitar virtuoso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Music