Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:23 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,009,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
There are plenty of good American movies to view. Nobody needs to see this piece of garbage.

Yeah, no need to experience culture at all. No need to expand horizons and experience the art and entertainment from other countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:07 PM

402 posts, read 853,865 times
Default British

I thought it was very good and deserving of the award. I know people have already mentioned this, but they weren't trying to copy American culture (in the credits) ; (that is a uniquely Indian thing.) Plus the movie was actually a British film, if you didn't notice.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 PM

2,916 posts, read 8,357,156 times
Quote:
Slum Dog Millionaire

Excellent flick!

Refreshingly different from all of the common-everyday-usual-typical-regular-standard-mediocre-hohum excessive sex, drugs, pervasive language, blood & guts no-talent crapola which America always, always, always puts out!

Old 07-09-2009, 10:05 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,600,896 times
I also thought the movie was entertaining and well done! Academy awards often go to films that are more edgy...so no surprise there.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,350,657 times
I enjoyed the movie very much. It has some interesting history in it if one wants to pay close attention to it. For instance, the scene where the boys' mother was killed was an attack by Hindus on a Muslim enclave in India. The two brothers were Muslims. In other scenes the Hindus are shown as good guys. The movie was very balanced that way. It was fair.

For the most part India's Hindus and Muslims get along. But from time to time there is terrorist activity and it could be either group that is stirring the pot. The religion thing goes back centuries and there is a particularly good old movie titled Bombay that addresses the issue of a bi-religious marriage. The original Bombay is one of my personal favorites.

The ending dance "Jai Ho" is very typical of Bollywood movies. In fact most Bollywood movies last between 3.5 and 4 hours. There are long dance scenes and loving glances at the one you are forbidden to have. Sometimes the scene changes from India to the Alps and that always makes me laugh because we are supposed to believe the Alps are in India. The costumes are gorgeous and the choreography is really stunning. There are two elderly sisters who sing the females' songs. I'm not sure what they are going to do when those ladies are no longer around.

I really like the movies that are historic. India is an ancient country and its history is interesting. Their movie industry is HUGE! Indian actors are close to royalty in India. Indians also love American movies. Charles Bronson was a big star in India as well as Afghanistan. Some kids in Afghanistan grew up thinking he was Iranian because the movies were dubbed in Farsi. LOL

Bollywood movies are really hot in Afghanistan, too, as well as Pakistan. It's good, clean entertainment and does not require too much brain power to follow the storyline. It's pure escapism except for the historic films that are about war.

You know, there are folks in those countries whose only real joy is the movies.

Bollywood is not for everyone but it is in no way trash. It's honest entertainment and usually quite chaste.

Old 07-10-2009, 03:02 AM

13,585 posts, read 15,689,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Yeah, no need to experience culture at all. No need to expand horizons and experience the art and entertainment from other countries.
Study other cultures when appropriate, but if you're truly interested in studying another culture, are you going to do so by watching a silly film about winning an Indian game show?

Old 07-10-2009, 05:37 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,471,334 times
My wife & I both loved it. ne of the truly creative movie going experiences I've had the kast 5 years. I thought it was a bit drawn out, but very good. Bollywood dance at the ended added some nice indian flavor. (Guess they put it there to curry the audience's favor )

Old 07-10-2009, 05:41 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,457,027 times
I liked this movie very much. Yes, there scenes that were terribly depressing, but overall it was one of the better movies I saw in the past year. From my friends who have lived in India, I hear that the slum scenes are pretty realistic. Sure beats a LOT of movies out there. I am glad it won.

Old 07-10-2009, 07:54 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,066,138 times
I enjoyed it. Thought the story was really neat and was baffled by the incredible filth and poverty. My husband, on the other hand, hated it.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:53 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,392,969 times
I loved it - I thought the story telling was clever and it kept my attention throughout the movie, which isn't common for movies that are out now. To the OP; what movie would you have preferred to win?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies