Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2015, 06:44 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,970,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Still Alice - again. It was heartbreaking - again, but we loved it - again. Can't beat that for $10 in Blu-ray. The music (soundtrack) to that movie is exquisite; I have to fight to *not* just close my eyes and lose myself in it.... 'Course, Lyle Lovett's If I Had a Boat is great too - just in a different way. DH and I boogie on the bed (since I can't stand up long enough to dance vertically anymore) and sing along with the young lady who's singing it at the end of the movie... can't remember her name, but she's good.

DH wants to watch Insurgent tonight (he's out buying it, along with some chocolate-mint frozen yogurt... mmm - yum.....); it's the third in the series of four Divergent movies. We liked the first two (saw them in the theater), and we're both fond of Shailene Woodley. I don't know of anyone else her age who can deliver 'looks' the way she does, LOL! She's quite the character!

Jennifer Lawrence is 'our' next Meryl Streep. (We have our own little voting system going here ). I don't think there's anything that young lady can't do. We both think she's remarkable. I've had the song The Hanging Tree playing in my head intermittently for days....

'Are you, are you,
Comin' to the tree,
To see a man
They say who murdered three
Strange things have happened here
No stranger would it be
To meet, at midnight
At the hanging tree.'

Oh, yeah!

Hope y'all have a stellar evening, or morning, or whatever is left of your day.

Love, and All Good Things,

Mahrie.
Insurgent was actually the second of the Divergent movies, I didn't like the first so I have little interest in it. I have it an honest try but it lost my interest fast and I don't mind slow movies. The third film will be next year's Allegiant Part 1.

Still Alice though was really good but depressing.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:51 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,176,445 times
Despair (1978), Rainer Werner Fassbinder..... ★★★★

Old 08-12-2015, 11:52 AM

22,414 posts, read 29,548,164 times
Last night saw Unfriended. I thought it was going to be scary and it sucked.

I also saw The Human Experiment and threw out all my cleaning stuff and bought non cancerous stuff. Scary

Old 08-12-2015, 12:44 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,085,705 times
Battle Beyond the Sun (1959) - IMDb

Old 08-12-2015, 02:05 PM

8,357 posts, read 13,508,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
DH wants to watch Insurgent tonight (he's out buying it, along with some chocolate-mint frozen yogurt... mmm - yum.....); it's the third in the series of four Divergent movies. We liked the first two (saw them in the theater), and we're both fond of Shailene Woodley. I don't know of anyone else her age who can deliver 'looks' the way she does, LOL! She's quite the character!
I saw Insurgent couple of days ago. I thought it was pretty good. Sort of predictable and nothing new plot wise just better SFX. Actors were decent too and Hollywood seems to be riding the tough, beautiful heroine routine in sci-fi movies lately.

Insurgent was the second one in the series, Divergent being the first.
I was thinking the 3rd one would be called Detergent or Ted Nugent.

Old 08-12-2015, 05:04 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,899,732 times
I last watched Project X (1987) on VHS

Old 08-12-2015, 08:10 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,489,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Insurgent was actually the second of the Divergent movies, I didn't like the first so I have little interest in it. I have it an honest try but it lost my interest fast and I don't mind slow movies. The third film will be next year's Allegiant Part 1.

Still Alice though was really good but depressing.

You're right, mkpunk. I didn't know that 'til my hubby came home though. (I get confused between The Hunger Games' four-part series and the Divergent one. We own and have read the books, which doesn't help me any.) I'd been up for, oh, maybe thirty-six hours when I wrote that post, and my memory tends to not be razor sharp when I pull an all-nighter.

Insurgent wasn't great, btw, but it was... okay. We'll probably still watch the remaining two in the theaters when they come out, if for no other reason than to see what they do with the written materal, as in the books. The frozen Yogurt was delicious! (For shame .)

Since I was still up, and couldn't sleep (story for another time), we watched Jackie & Ryan starring Catherine Heigl and a bunch of other people I'd never heard of before. Hubby and I liked it a lot but it is somewhat fringe - great music!. We are too though, I suppose, so we often like movies that aren't blockbusters for mainly artistic reasons. The story line in this one was good, so I'd recommend it. It's the first time I've seen Catherine Heigl do anything other then Rom-Com. She did well.

As for Still Alice, yes, it's depressing, but I have a good friend whose wife is battling ('struggling,' to quote Alice) Alzheimer's, and while I'm no stranger to dealing with the disease in geriatric settings, it's particularly distressing when the victim is still young-ish.

DH and I are knackered today (sleep deprivation), so we're going to have a moviefest. We plan to watch Joe (with Nicholas Cage), The Place Beyond the Pines (with Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper), and Now You See Me (starring Morgan Freeman, Woody Harrelson, Mark Ruffalo, and Isla Fisher). We paid $5 each for the Place Beyond the Pines and Now You See Me, and $8 for the Blu-ray version of Joe - all in Wal-Mart's cheapie bin. Y'can't top that for value! I'll report on those tomorrow, if I'm spared.

Happy viewing folks!

Love, and All Good Things,

Mahrie.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 PM

3,016 posts, read 3,918,206 times
Busty Bangin' Brunettes Vol. 4

Old 08-13-2015, 03:29 AM

The Informant! (2009), Steven Soderbergh..... ★★★

Old 08-13-2015, 03:30 AM

Frailty (2001), Bill Paxton..... ★★★
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies