Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2017, 12:41 PM

473 posts, read 308,543 times

Advertisements

Twilight saga

Old 03-01-2017, 01:49 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,962,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerDarling View Post
Twilight saga

I haven't seen those since Breaking Dawn was released. I've thought about revisiting them, even though I absolutely cannot stand them one bit.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:05 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,902,878 times
I last watched ONE MANS JUSTICE (1995) on VHS

Old 03-01-2017, 07:56 PM

8,875 posts, read 8,480,577 times
In the Bedroom. I wish I could find more Sissy Spacek's films online. What an actor. It's a shame that Meryl Streep gets all the roles for old women.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,090,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
In the Bedroom. I wish I could find more Sissy Spacek's films online. What an actor. It's a shame that Meryl Streep gets all the roles for old women.
OUCH!

I remember being in high school and seeing Sissy as the same age as me (she wasn't, of course, but that is movie magic).

On the other hand, I've never particularly been a fan of Meryl. I think I've only seen, intentionally and completely, one of her flicks (Death becomes Her) and with that first encounter, she was "old".

Granted, they were both born the same year, 1949, but here's the catch: since my first and follow on encounters of Sissy, such as SNL, were from her "Carrie" years, to me, she will always seem "young". Meryl, on the other hand, will never seem young to me.

Now, that is just me, but maybe it is the reason why Sissy doesn't get cast for older roles; there's too much of a previous generation who still sees her as a child.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:28 AM

8,875 posts, read 8,480,577 times
^To be honest there just aren't a lot of juicy roles for women over 60, Meryl Streep is one of the very few who keeps getting cast (and overacts them then gets nominated for her robotic acting).

Old 03-02-2017, 02:26 AM

473 posts, read 308,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
I haven't seen those since Breaking Dawn was released. I've thought about revisiting them, even though I absolutely cannot stand them one bit.
I watch them because of Jacob

Old 03-02-2017, 06:15 AM

37,313 posts, read 60,009,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
OUCH!

I remember being in high school and seeing Sissy as the same age as me (she wasn't, of course, but that is movie magic).

On the other hand, I've never particularly been a fan of Meryl. I think I've only seen, intentionally and completely, one of her flicks (Death becomes Her) and with that first encounter, she was "old".

Granted, they were both born the same year, 1949, but here's the catch: since my first and follow on encounters of Sissy, such as SNL, were from her "Carrie" years, to me, she will always seem "young". Meryl, on the other hand, will never seem young to me.

Now, that is just me, but maybe it is the reason why Sissy doesn't get cast for older roles; there's too much of a previous generation who still sees her as a child.
Interesting take on the two very good actresses...
I saw Sissy Spacek's first role "Prime Cut" with Lee Marvin where she plays a young girl forced into sex slave market in the MidWest--a ganster film where the crime boss uses a slaughter house to rid himself of his enemies...she was a coltish 15 or so...raw but translucent w/her honesty...
Something that always permeates her roles...
Check out "Coal Miner's Daughter" where she play Loretta Lynn and sings the music vs being dubbed...
Her voice is as honest as her performance...

She was also in the movie with Martin Sheen where they played the runaway young killers--forget the name now--but it was a Terrence Malick movie (one of his few) and she met her husband working behind the camera.
He is very respected production designer, Academy nominated if not winner...

She doesn't work as much as she might because I think she is just very particular about her roles
She played the elderly mother in the Oscar nominated "The Help" a few years back...

Street does so many movies--some of them aren't my favorites but love "Out of Africa" and "Deer Hunter"
Did you see the tv series she made at beginning of her career -- "Holocaust" where she played a Protestant German married to a Jewish man who sells herself to the German guard in the jail/prison her husband is in to have contact with him...she was so young...
I don't care "Death BEcomes Her" --- thought it was waste of time but know it has gotten critical approval over the years...

Old 03-02-2017, 06:50 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,362,032 times
House of Usher with Vincent Price.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:04 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,090,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
........Did you see the tv series she made at beginning of her career -- "Holocaust" where she played a Protestant German married to a Jewish man who sells herself to the German guard in the jail/prison her husband is in to have contact with him...she was so young...
That is one of those unintended, not watched completely "flicks" I was referring to. I converted it from VHS to DVD (made a DVD copy for the active library, sent the VHS down to deep storage) back in 2014 or so. Perhaps I missed the parts she was in, but I doubt it. I does seem like she would be in the opening scene of a party at a wedding and if you told me she was in it, I wouldn't recall. She has never made that great of an impression on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.