Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:20 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,334,257 times

Advertisements

I just saw this movie the other day. I didn't just run right out and see it when it came out because I am still semi- snubbing the star for what he did to Meg Ryan and his comments about angry Americans; plus, Ben Afleck has not been in a good movie in a long time. I was not sure I would like this movie, but I was pleasantly surprised. Russell it way too fat and his "bad-boy" charm is long gone, but he made this movie work. I could not easily tell what was coming next, at times I was on the edge of my seat, overall the actors put forward strong performances and I thought the script was well written. I would recommend seeing this movie and I plan to see it a second time. If you like suspense this is your movie What are your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:10 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,853,297 times
Wow sunqueen. I was just going to post this. We saw it yesterday and were both pretty impressed. I thought Crowe did a passable job, but I'm really getting impressed with Jason Bateman! He seems to be devoping into kind of a Kevin Bacon type. Not really a leading man, but very passable as a character actor.

I loved Helen Mirren too, but then I don't think I've ever seen her do anything in which she was less than great.

golfgod

Old 05-06-2009, 09:20 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,737,409 times
I have to see this one. I never miss Russell ones.

But, passable?? Come on, golfer, Russell is one of the rarely finest actors of his generation.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,853,297 times
colussus antonus wrote;
Quote:
Russell is one of the rarely finest actors of his generation
I agree he's very good, but I tend to look at any actor's role with the question; "who else in this role could have done as good, or a better job.

golfgod

Old 05-08-2009, 10:48 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,227,117 times
Russells weight does tend to go up and down doesn't it? I just saw him on David Letterman and he looked like he'd dropped quite a bit of weight. Not sure if its cuz of a movie he's getting ready to shoot or on his own.

I'm glad to see this report. I was going to pay per view the one with DiCaprio but I didn't ever hear anything good about it.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 AM

269 posts, read 914,283 times
I dislike Russell Crow a lot, but I went ahead and shoved it in my Netflix cue!

Old 05-08-2009, 03:36 PM

1,075 posts, read 4,312,625 times
I thought Russell Crow did an excellent job, as always. Felt his long hair and extra few lbs fit his character perfectly.

Agree with you golfgod, thought Jason Bateman put in a fine performance also.

Always love Helen Mirin! she's lovely. and smart, and witty, and beautiful.

Maybe it's just me, but Ben Affflick's performances always strike me as being rather 'stiff' .. I'd like to see more expressive emotion from him.

Found Rachael Adams to be very endearing and charming and thought she did a great job in this movie. Really enjoyed this film.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:23 AM

16,676 posts, read 17,447,182 times
My thoughts are that I'm fed up seeing so many films with Helen Mirrren in it.

Old 11-22-2009, 04:52 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,227,117 times
Wow. Ok its been 6 months since I checked in here and I'm finally watching it on pay per view.
Casting, directing, acting, editing - a four fecta!
On one hand the casting and acting seems pretty normal big names, nothing special, of course they are very good. But the directing and editing - really showed the acting, allowed them to shine through as actors vs. pretty hollywood people. I think I found that most striking and really got my attention and respect. There were scenes that I almost didn't recognize some of these big names because they didn't pretty them up, the didn't change or edit the angle of the camera. Don't get me wrong they didn't make them ugly but really let them look like people. Ben Affleck was cast really well because he can really look like a congressman with that cleft chin and all-American look and I think he did really well. I love that Russell doesn't seem to care what he looks like for a role (he has transformed himself far more for other roles), Jason Bateman was a testimony to how someone can take a small role and really shine. Jeff Daniels, Dumb and Dumber as the religious bad guy senator - excellent.
Actually I suppose this is a five-fecta. The story. At first I thought it was just a great 'nother Day of the Conder, Deep Throat. A well written but standard vehicle for the talent.
But then, despite that it is some sort of remake of a British series and a
Spoiler
crazed soldier
but the Point Core stuff is actually very true to life regarding Brown and Root (aka Kellog Brown and Root and Halliburton) of Dick Cheney fame. All that stuff about billions and billions of dollars for both foreign and domestic security, the guy whose net work went up 240 million, all that - SHACK! Except that there's been no exposure, its still going on.
Really very very good. Will have to watch some of the director's previous stuff.
Crowe's end bit about people wanting real news - I know several journalists - all laid off - I don't know if people realize that what they are getting these days isn't really investigative jouralism - that's very nearly dead. And while some of us realize and care, I for one at least feel helpless to do anything about it.
I remember this getting pre-release press because of the cast mostly - but not that much after - what the heck was released in the same time frame that it dropped off the map? Or is that some sort of commentary on what people are going to see these days?
I reommend State of Play to anyone reading this thread.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:31 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,685,884 times
I was bored watching it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies