Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 08:46 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,334,257 times

Advertisements

Did anyone see this movie yet? I saw it and I thought the two stars gave very good performances, but I didn't exactly like this movie. It was very slow moving and down right boring at times. I fell asleep 3 times and was able to keep up. It was hard to believe Robert's accent, the story line was okay, but nothing extraordinary. I was disappointed, but I would still recommend seeing it. Especially if u r a Sherlock Holmes fan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2009, 09:02 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,445,884 times
We saw it today. We really enjoyed it! The only problem I had was that the dialogue sometimes moved so fast that I couldn't understand a word of it. When I said as much when the movie was over, my husband said he was glad to know he wasn't the only one.

I think it's one of those movies that has to sink in before you reflect and realize how enjoyable it was. I mean, c'mon, was that dog hilarious, or what?

Old 12-25-2009, 09:05 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,914,257 times
I saw it today and enjoyed it. For me the only problem was we got there so late that we were sitting in the third row and really had to bend our necks to see anything at all.

I think the actress who played Mary was miscast. She had far too modern a face for the role. Perhaps if they'd done something different with her makeup (particularly her lips), she would have seemed more fitting.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:25 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,704,489 times
I think I will wait till it comes out on dvd to rent it.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post

I think I will wait till it comes out on dvd to rent it.
Hubby and I agreed that we're looking forward to the DVD so we can watch it with closed captioning and catch the dialogue we missed!

Old 12-26-2009, 01:18 PM

44 posts, read 59,652 times
I saw "Sherlock Holmes" yesterday. I was able to get a nice seat as I was there an hour early. The character was definitely improvised for the times; I was expecting something similar to those British television series of the 80s. But this guy is a free-style fighter, flexing muscles and breaking jaws in slow motion.

The British accent was okay. Somehow I feel that British actors come up with better American accents than the other way round. Claire Forlani is one prime example.

I think the plot was average, with comic elements, action and witticisms splattered across its entirety.

But frankly, I like Robert Downey Jr. better in Iron Man.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:27 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,334,257 times
I am glad to hear some positive feedback about this movie. I really like Robert and Jude, so I wanted to like the movie too. However, their characters just did not rise to the standard set by the British actors of the 40's - Basil Rathborne and Bruce. Maybe I will see it again...

Old 12-27-2009, 04:04 PM

29 posts, read 108,177 times
Possible spoilers ahead....

We saw this yesterday. The best part of the film was the chemistry between Downey and Law. These two are great together! That being said, the dialog and the plot weren't clever enough for a Sherlock Holmes story.

This movie relies far too much on action and effects. If you're going to put that much emphasis on effects, then the CGI should have been much better than it was. Scenes like the ship slipping out of dry dock, and just about all the sequences on or around the under construction Tower Bridge, were cartoonish and so poorly executed they were more of a distraction than a plot enhancing device.

The gimmick of having Holmes consider and narrate his possible fight moves in advance in semi-slow motion, and then execute the exact same sequence of moves in real time was marginally interesting the first time it was used.

Old 12-27-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piazzollachick View Post

The gimmick of having Holmes consider and narrate his possible fight moves in advance in semi-slow motion, and then execute the exact same sequence of moves in real time was marginally interesting the first time it was used.
Hmm. I didn't recognize that as Holmes' voice -- I thought he was recalling lessons he'd learned from some kind of master in whatever fighting art he was employing, like hearing your instructor's voice giving you tips on how to proceed, then following those instructions and seeing how they actually work. That interpretation of those scenes allowed me to appreciate them each time they were employed, rather than seeing them as a repetitive device.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piazzollachick View Post
Possible spoilers ahead....
This movie relies far too much on action and effects. If you're going to put that much emphasis on effects, then the CGI should have been much better than it was. Scenes like the ship slipping out of dry dock, and just about all the sequences on or around the under construction Tower Bridge, were cartoonish and so poorly executed they were more of a distraction than a plot enhancing device.
I agree with this.
And I could have done with less fighting, period.
It's fine to have Holmes more physical than cerebral, but they overdid it.
I also agree about Downey and Law's chemistry, though.
It's obviously another franchise so maybe they will do better with CGI next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies