Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:31 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,324,722 times

Advertisements

I didn't think Cate was attractive enough to co-star and I was not sure exactly what to expect with Russell. However, I was not disappointed at all. Russell looked good and played his part extremely well as did Cate. I am going to see it again. I really liked it and recommend it too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 04:18 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I saw it last night and absolutely loved it.

Cate Blantchett was absolutely luminous as the fearless and independent Marianne ( and I do think she is utterly beautiful , she looks like a real woman and her age unlike many Hollywood plastic Bimbos) , Russell Crowe was utterly convincing as a Medieval warrior ( pretty rare in Hollywood films).

The cinematography as in all movies by Ridley was exquisite, the fights scenes were pretty unequalled in my opinion, its delicate savage choregraphy realistic and potent without being gory.

A grand traditional old fashioned historical epic and one which thank goodness did not look like a video game but like a proper real film. The acting was superb with a great cast, some very funny and wry lines too. My only slight criticism is that still in 2010 nobody can manage to make background scenery look real such as the long shots of the Tower of London . In fact if anything 1940s set designers did it better.

I was totally immersed into the end of the 12th century with its pungent smells and sounds. The brutality of Medieval warfare was portrayed unflinchingly and effectively without having to resort to graphic gore.

The final battle scene was really very impressive and would be hard to beat . The on-screen chemistry between Blantchett and Crowe also made the whole story far more believable. The best Robin Hood I have seen by far. Historical accuracy aside quite a perfect 2 hours of sheer escapism.

I personally can't wait for the next one. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a Hollywood grand production quite as much...

Old 05-15-2010, 08:49 PM

190 posts, read 493,025 times
Gladiator is my all time favorite movie--thus far. I'm glad to hear some folks enjoyed Robin Hood. I saw the trailer and was quite pleased to see Russell Crowe yelling again in a grimy and gloomy medieval combat film. I think Russell Crowe is the perfect fit for these kinds of movies--just as Stallone was great for Rocky, Schwarzenegger was great for Terminator, and Bruce Willis was perfect as a cop with a bad headache in Diehard.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:55 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,231,300 times
Sounds like this film is a good antidote for the Costner one.

BTW, were there any Moorish characters in this one pretending to have invented the refracting telescope?

Old 05-16-2010, 09:21 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,256,756 times
I'll probably wait for the DVD on this one. I didn't like Gladiator at all, and I thought Kingdom of Heaven was a huge disappointment. Robin Hood looked like more of the same. Ridley Scott's movies have always LOOKED gorgeous. No one does cinematography like Ridley Scott. But the poor guy just seems to have forgotten how to tell a good story.

That, and quite frankly, I'm just sick of Robin Hood and King Arthur. Enough already. Do we really need yet another retelling of these characters? History and legend are full of so many other good stories that would make fantastic movies. Brian Boru, Boudicca, Robert the Bruce, Marco Polo, Attila, Roy Bass ... all would be GREAT subject matter for films. Enough Robin Hood already!

Old 05-19-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But the poor guy just seems to have forgotten how to tell a good story.
Have you seen Black Hawk Down?

Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Have you seen Black Hawk Down?
No. Is it good?

Ridley Scott used to be one of my favorite filmmakers. He still makes the prettiest movies since David Lean. He just needs better scripts.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
No. Is it good?
Are you kidding?

Old 05-20-2010, 07:18 PM

I haven't seen it. Really truly.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I didn't think Cate was attractive enough to co-star and I was not sure exactly what to expect with Russell. However, I was not disappointed at all. Russell looked good and played his part extremely well as did Cate. I am going to see it again. I really liked it and recommend it too
I used to love Russell Crowe. But he has become so bland since he married and bred. I miss the old, rollicking non ***** whipped Russell.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies